A second lightweight bass

What's Hot
I won't go into too much build detail as the basic construction is identical to this recent build  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/135979/finished-pics-swift-lite-4-string-34-bass#latest

but, following from the 'No Treble' e-zine award of their 'Bass of the Week', I've had a number of enquiries about building something similar including this one that has come to fruition.

It's for a guy in Hawaii, same construction but with a slightly different shape of the horns and it will be PJ pickup configuration rather than the Jazz arrangement of the original build.

Pretty much same materials, albeit I have been careful to ensure that this sits in all aspects well clear of CITES regulations.

So a quick update of the progress to date:

This is the revised shape of the body

Laminated a through maple / walnut neck and incorporated the 1 degree neck angle in the slot the top will fit into

Used the jig I made last time to be able to use the G&W blocks template

Then cut and fitted some non CITES listed ebony

Then cut the swamp ash back wings.  These, once they have been glued and routed, will form the platform for the top to sit on.

Like this...

...and that's pretty much where I've got to so far :)

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
    Nice!
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1770
    Good stuff again Andy. I’m glad that your builds are getting the recognition they deserve, and a commission from the opposite side of the world certainly fits that bill!
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3127
    impmann said:
    Nice!
    Thanks! :)
    BigMonka said:
    Good stuff again Andy. I’m glad that your builds are getting the recognition they deserve, and a commission from the opposite side of the world certainly fits that bill!
    Thanks too! :)  It's certainly a first :)  And, if I muck it up, quite possibly a last ;)
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3127
    Added the demarcation veneer to the through-neck sides:

Then on with the two rear wings - level with the top of the neck to form a flat platform incorporating the neck angle:

Once the lightening chambers and cable runs have been routed out, the top will be glued on, with its upper surface flush with the top of the neck:

The demarcation veneer, although very thin (standard 0.6mm) is nevertheless enough to add a little polish to the joint:

The same veneer has been put on the back of the top as the demarcation between that and the ash rear wings.

Why bother bookmatching the veneer when no one will ever see it?  

"Standards, my boy.  Standards!"  :)    ;)
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • The last couple of months have been a bit crazy.  Sudden plunge into the chaotic world of grandparenting, some mild but temporarily debilitating health distractions (maybe linked? ;) )

And @TTony 's recent post on his made me I've realise I never finished this thread - or of a couple of other smaller projects I've done at the same time.

Rather than go through the full tortuous detailed thread - to be honest it's pretty much the same as the previous lightweight bass - I'll go straight to the finished shots:

The good news - apart from successfully passing the 'even if there's no CITES listed timber in there, you still have to prove that there isn't!' hurdles - is that it did get to Hawaii in one piece and James LOVES it.  It's 6.7lbs and sounds great with his favoured super-thick strings and his supplied Aero pickups.  Huge bass sounds.  Foundation shaking!

The bad news is there was one 'except'.  What I try to do is replicate a player's favourite neck shape.  I get them to take profile templates, etc.  And the shape is exactly like his favourite USA Lakland.  Except...in the stop-start chaos of difficult births, etc..,
    I got the thickness COMPLETELY wrong.  And I didn't spot it!!!!

I'm talking 3-4mm wrong!

I will know in 3-4 days whether it's been fully resolved - I think it has been.  I'll post an update when I know for certain ;)
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27455
    I will know in 3-4 days whether it's been fully resolved - I think it has been.
    Finger extensions?
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • TTony said:
    I will know in 3-4 days whether it's been fully resolved - I think it has been.
    Finger extensions?
    Blast!  Why didn't I think of that... ;)

Probably would have been cheaper!
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6059
    Beautiful, you are an artist.
  • JezWynd said:
    Beautiful, you are an artist.
    And you are a gentleman :)  

Thanks