Tru oil wisdom on a maple neck

bandmaster188bandmaster188 Frets: 391
edited October 2018 in Making & Modding
hi folks ,
just doing a refinish on my recently acquired MM Sub Ray neck. How long is best to leave it between coats? I applied a very thin coat last night and another this morning (approx 12 hrs). Rubbed it over with 0000 wire wool between coats. Was hoping to get another 2 to 3 coats on it but wondering if I should leave it longer between the coats.
cheers!

https://i.imgur.com/Bi0z1Vq.jpg

The Swamp City Shakers
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    I generally do one in the morning and one at night amd call it good as I like the feel of the thin finish, but repeat until happy.....
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    I’ve done really thin coats on necks 6 hours apart to build up some thickness before wet slurry sanding
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6793
    I only did two coats in total on mine, but I wanted the raw wood feel. What finish are you trying to achieve?
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • Thanks for the input folks.
    mrkb said:
    I only did two coats in total on mine, but I wanted the raw wood feel. What finish are you trying to achieve?
    I suppose what I’m after is something not too heavy but enough to protect the wood and still feel fairly slick. seeing the level of sheen that’s been achieved with 2 light coats, I’m thinking one maybe two more will do the trick 
    The Swamp City Shakers