What to do in New York for a day

What's Hot
I'll be in New York next week for work. We fly back Sunday evening and I don't think we have anything planned for Saturday. Anyone recommend something slightly off the obvious tourist track? Last year I went to Coney Island on the subway which was ace.

Also, are there any music shops where one is likely to score a second-hand bargain?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WindmillGuitarsWindmillGuitars Frets: 731
    tFB Trader
    @stuckfast Was over last month - Guitar Centre in Times Sq had some good s/h stock as did Sam Ash
    We enjoyed walking "The High Line" down to Chelsea Market - great way to see the city
    www.windmillguitars.com - Official stockist of Yamaha, Maybach, Fano Guitars, Kithara Guitars, Eastman Guitars, Trent Guitars, Orange Amps, Blackstar Amplification & More! (The artist formerly known as Anchorboy)
  • Try and find an underground comedy club off times Square there are usually guys hanging around on the street who will walk you to the club, usually a few dollars entry/need to buy a couple of drinks inside. Can be quite fun if you luck out on some quality talent
  • Stuckfast said:
    Last year I went to Coney Island on the subway which was ace.

Did you manage to avoid bumping into those fighty Warrior types? ;)
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24282
    Ride the subway with a large backpack and a stereo playing this.... ?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9uiXkjbEIos
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33791
    Emp_Fab said:

Really?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3064
    If it's still there, Chelsea Guitars is more likely to have second hand bargains than any of the major retailers.   They guys who work in there are dudes, too. 

Its right next to the infamous Chelsea Hotel, which has some great artwork in its foyer.   
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24282
    octatonic said:
    Emp_Fab said:

Really?
    Nah, not really.  T'was a shite joke.

I think I'm developing multiple personality disorder or something.  What seems like a perfectly acceptable joke or comment when I type it seems decidedly crap when I read it later in the day.  My Apologies.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited October 2018
    You could go shopping and save @bingefeller £250 on his impending £750 digital music player purchase 
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7839
    Streetsounds in Brooklyn. You can always negotiate a good deal on a new or used guitar with Rocko. 
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2574
    tFB Trader
    Was there a week ago, Manhattan is very expensive and you would likely grab a instrument bargain elsewhere. but if you have a full day here are some ideas

The view restaurant - must do! A revolving restaurant on the 46 or 48th floor of the Marriott hotel in times square, $40 all you can eat, but the dessert section and the views are amazing and worth it.
    There is another rooftop bar that is stunning, I forget the name though. They have red bath robes to keep you warm outside if it is cold.

We did a roof top bus tour this time, which was good, but takes a bit of time due to the traffic.

Brass Bull / Wall Street / Freedom tower / Twin tower memorial / view of the Statue of liberty from Battery Park - All pretty much in the same area, if you have not been to NY before then this is a must do part.

If you are a Lennon fan there is strawberry fields in Central Park, CP is massive though and you could waste loads of time there.

We did the Intrepid museum this time, great if you love jets, ships and space shuttle type stuff, nice view of the city from the river too

Look at prices before you go, once there keep looking at the lights and the buildings, it will take your mind off how dirty the place actually is and subways take longer than you think they should. Enjoy the day and hopefully you won't have jet lag as severe as we all did on the way back