Looking for interesting/intuitive instruments.. looping synth, theremin, any other suggestions?

What's Hot
hasslehamhassleham Frets: 600
edited October 2018 in Other Instruments
I’m looking for interesting instruments for kids and novice musicians to have a go at playing. I’m hosting an open day and want to show people a load of stuff that they probably haven’t seen before. Could also be ‘science’ based rather than specifically a musical instrument.

All suggestions welcome, and if you’ve got anything to sell that you feel would be suitable then please let me know! I’ve already got one of these:

I would really like a theremin and some sort of synth/looping set up, maybe pocket operators or something? But all other suggestions considered!

Also, if you’re anywhere near Huddersfield and have anything that you’d consider hiring/lending then that would also be brilliant.

thanks! 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14410
    Tablet computer apps can demonstrate a lot without necessitating any special manual dexterity.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    Zither, Stylophone. Oh yes! The Stylophone. Where would we be without these? Mind, I never had one, so I don’t really know what they are all about. 
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6143
    Yamaha Tenori-on

Cajon

Any of the early sampling keyboards with a built-in mic.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14410
    Autoharp

Suzuki Omnichord

Casio DG-20 ;)

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • joetelejoetele Frets: 948
    hassleham said:
    I’m looking for interesting instruments for kids and novice musicians to have a go at playing. I’m hosting an open day and want to show people a load of stuff that they probably haven’t seen before. Could also be ‘science’ based rather than specifically a musical instrument.

All suggestions welcome, and if you’ve got anything to sell that you feel would be suitable then please let me know! I’ve already got one of these:

I would really like a theremin and some sort of synth/looping set up, maybe pocket operators or something? But all other suggestions considered!

Also, if you’re anywhere near Huddersfield and have anything that you’d consider hiring/lending then that would also be brilliant.

thanks! 

I've got a couple of the little Korg Monotrons for sale - a Duo and a Delay. They're like little synths with ribbon keyboards you can play with a stylus or a finger - and they can be connected together! I can sell you both for £50 and throw in a pack of styluses too. (and the cable to connect them) 
    MUSIC: Pale Blurs
  • You know what I do for a living. Right? I'm around the corner and have all sorts of kit. Including a theremin  :) 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hasslehamhassleham Frets: 600
    Thanks for the suggestions so far!

@joetele I'll have a think and get back to you. Cheers
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5458
    Thumbjam on the iPad is very intuitive. 
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4915
    The Moog theremin is not too expensive.

John Otway used to put pressure pads around his body, so maybe a boiler-suit with them built in would be a thing.
  • hasslehamhassleham Frets: 600
    Bumping this again for any more ideas! :)
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4180
    Dulcimer ?
  • I've got a Push and an Atom, which are both pretty intuitive with the right software. 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    Ondes martenot
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.