Where was the weather warning?

What's Hot
I'm on the south coast and tonight it's raining in biblical proportions and yet....no weather warning!
So much for forecasting. Leaves me wondering if they all just use one source of info and trust without question. I know in the UK the weather has a reputation for being unpredicatble but it does make me wonder just how far we have failed to progress in all these years!
Stay safe!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268
    I use a local dude on FaceBook who does his own forecasting and he's almost always spot on and predicted this lot days ago (Wednesday I think).
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Met Office. Forecast heavy rain and that's what I got.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • tygertyger Frets: 16
    I'm sure I checked at 7:00pm and all it said was chance of light rain
  • Clear here in Dorset

• rlwrlw Frets: 4671
    tyger said:
    I'm on the south coast and tonight it's raining in biblical proportions and yet....no weather warning!
    So much for forecasting. Leaves me wondering if they all just use one source of info and trust without question. I know in the UK the weather has a reputation for being unpredicatble but it does make me wonder just how far we have failed to progress in all these years!
    Stay safe!
    I've relied upon looking out of the window for a number of years and it seems very reliable.

Also, is heavy rain severe weather?  It didn't use to be when I was a kid, it was just rain.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14323
    BBC Weather predictions for SW Wales, Friday to Monday, were two days of severe winds and heavy rainfall, followed by dry with broken cloud and occasionally gusty winds. That is what arrived.

What the predictions did not provide was accurate to the exact minute times for when events should be expected.

Strictly speaking, the only time the Meteorological Office issues formal weather warnings is when there is a risk of flood or damage to property. 
    Be seeing you.
  • BudgieBudgie Frets: 2099
    rlw said:

Also, is heavy rain severe weather?  It didn't use to be when I was a kid, it was just rain.
    It was in Boscastle and on the Somerset Levels a few years ago and tons of other places that have been severely flooded and damaged over recent years. 
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    I have found since the BBC dropped the Met Office data from their reports their forecasts have been pretty poor.

Leading up to a few events this year (air shows and motorsports) I'd be checking the forecast for the week leading up to those and the BBC would be all over the place compared to the Met Office, which in those cases turned out to be much closer.
  • ewalewal Frets: 2558
    There were definitely yellow and amber weather warnings issued although not sure if they extended to the OP's location. The MetOffice also named the storm - Callum.
    The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4302
    edited October 2018
    Most forecasts will change in the 8 hours prior to the event, which makes them prettymuch useless. We had a job to do outside this morning, last night the forecast was for 5.8mm of rain at 10am, that's very wet. Contemplated postponing.
    Woke up this morning and the forecast had changed to 0.5mm at 10 am and pretty much the same right through till 3pm. 
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11496
    tFB Trader

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4671
    Budgie said:
    rlw said:

It was in Boscastle and on the Somerset Levels a few years ago and tons of other places that have been severely flooded and damaged over recent years. 
      The Boscastle event could not have predicted with any certainty - I believe that heavy occasional showers were forecast -  and it was other factors which turned it into a disaster.

Again, the heavy rain which affected the Somerset Levels was forecast and, again, other factors came into play.

I'm not knocking what you say, by the way, just saying that, in my view, people have become somewhat dependent on being told what to do and need to be warned of the bleeding obvious.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • fobfob Frets: 1430
    rlw said:
      I've relied upon looking out of the window for a number of years and it seems very reliable.
    I believe this is what most forecasters really do. They take a 'best guess' at the long range stuff but, essentially, have loads of small stations dotted about the country monitoring the current weather. If it's raining and the wind is blowing south-west, then the forecast for the bit of the country just to the south-west gets an update. This all gets extrapolated back up as best they can (with some pretty major computing power if I recall correctly) but is always a bit iffy because of the truly huge number of factors that go into creating the weather at any point in time/space.
  • I follow the Met Office on YouTube, lots of interesting stuff as well as the forecasts - and better than the Meteo Group forecasts the BBC is using now.

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12255
    I have found since the BBC dropped the Met Office data from their reports their forecasts have been pretty poor.

Leading up to a few events this year (air shows and motorsports) I'd be checking the forecast for the week leading up to those and the BBC would be all over the place compared to the Met Office, which in those cases turned out to be much closer.
    I did use bbc for predicting likelihood of cycling into huge winds or getting soaked, its accuracy is so poor you might as well just guess.  Direction of wind is often wrong and anything more than 10% chance of rain means definitely will rain.