'Fragile' parcel tape

What's Hot
JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6059
It clearly identifies the contents as needing care while handling, is this a red rag to a bull?
Good idea or not? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72312
    At best a waste of time because conveyor belts can't read, at worst a red rag to an employee who is having a bad day.

If you're relying on writing fragile on something to protect it, either you have no idea how mail handling systems work or you shouldn't be sending the item in the first place, at least without packing it a lot better.

In my mail-order packing job we just use it for everything whether it's fragile or not, purely because it's slightly better tape than the usual brown stuff - I have no idea why!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    edited October 2018
    Hard to say, depends how lucky/unlucky you are with who handles it. When I worked for Royal Mail years ago I had to deal with a pissed off customer who had got home to find a folded in half envelope on their door mat. The envelope contained photos and was one of those card backed/reinforced envelopes with 'Please Do Not Bend' on it. The bellend postie had scribbled "Do Not" out, bent it in half and shoved it through the letterbox s .
    1reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72312
    Octafish said:
    Hard to say, depends how lucky/unlucky you are with who handles it. When I worked for Royal Mail years ago I had to deal with a pissed of customer who had got home to find a folded in half envelope on their door mat. The envelope contained photos and was one of those card backed/reinforced envelopes with 'Please Do Not Bend' on it. The bellend postie had scribbled "Do Not" out, bent it in half and shoved it through the letterbox :s .
    That's why, when I sold some of my vinyl on Ebay many years ago, I got some old 4mm or 5mm plywood and cut 7" and 12" squares out of it, and put one in with every record... not absolutely impossible to bend, but close enough. I think on a couple of the most valuable albums I put one each side. It increased the postage cost a bit though.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ElwoodElwood Frets: 454
    You could try putting a "shockwatch impact indicator" on it. They are sometimes used with shipping equipment. 
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5258
    dont know whether its a red rag etc but it is really good tape
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5629
    Octafish said:
    Hard to say, depends how lucky/unlucky you are with who handles it. When I worked for Royal Mail years ago I had to deal with a pissed off customer who had got home to find a folded in half envelope on their door mat. The envelope contained photos and was one of those card backed/reinforced envelopes with 'Please Do Not Bend' on it. The bellend postie had scribbled "Do Not" out, bent it in half and shoved it through the letterbox s .
    I once saw one better than this, a customer had ordered photo prints online and it was sent in a stiff cardboard envelope with the words PHOTOS DO NOT BEND clearly printed in big type.

The postie wrote underneath "Oh yes they do" before bending it in half and shoving it through the customer's letterbox.

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

5reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5417
    Have heard that the only message on the outside of a box that might actually get paid attention to by a handler is "contains glass" (in addition to "Fragile"). "Fragile" on its own won't necessarily aggravate the handling but it will likely be summarily ignored.
  • OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    Haych said:
    Octafish said:
    I once saw one better than this, a customer had ordered photo prints online and it was sent in a stiff cardboard envelope with the words PHOTOS DO NOT BEND clearly printed in big type.

The postie wrote underneath "Oh yes they do" before bending it in half and shoving it through the customer's letterbox.
    Ha, ha we had one of those too, plus a postie stopping to take a shit in someone's back garden...
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Depends how its being shipped. UPS recommend it and claim they do take notice along with big stickers saying 'this way up' .. should also help with any claim if you take photos. A courier company can hardly say 'you shouldn't have done that as our couriers will always abuse parcels with fragile tape on it' ... :-)

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • If you ever need to make a claim it helps if you have written fragile on the box. Instead of tape I tend to just write FRAGILE in huge letters with a large marker, and then draw a box around it to make it look bigger. It's cheaper, and a lot more visible and a lot more likely to get noticed by the courier, than tape.
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    ICBM said:
    Octafish said:
    Hard to say, depends how lucky/unlucky you are with who handles it. When I worked for Royal Mail years ago I had to deal with a pissed of customer who had got home to find a folded in half envelope on their door mat. The envelope contained photos and was one of those card backed/reinforced envelopes with 'Please Do Not Bend' on it. The bellend postie had scribbled "Do Not" out, bent it in half and shoved it through the letterbox :s .
    That's why, when I sold some of my vinyl on Ebay many years ago, I got some old 4mm or 5mm plywood and cut 7" and 12" squares out of it, and put one in with every record... not absolutely impossible to bend, but close enough. I think on a couple of the most valuable albums I put one each side. It increased the postage cost a bit though.
    Records always seem to make it through the post unscathed in standard record mailers - I've bought and sold hundreds without any issue. A more important precaution is to remove the record from the coveras they tend to move within the cover and split the seems. It bugs me when sellers do not do this.
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6059
    Elwood said:
    You could try putting a "shockwatch impact indicator" on it. They are sometimes used with shipping equipment. 
    Interesting, I'd never heard of that system before. Thanks.
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    JezWynd said:
    Elwood said:
    Interesting, I'd never heard of that system before. Thanks.

I discovered them on Mythbusters. :-)
  • Potentially useful when moving if you have a half-decent removals firm, but of no value if they are cowboys and definitely useless for couriered goods.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • If you are sending it by courier,it is only the staff that manually handle it that will see it. As most of it is sorted mechanically, it won't make much difference. If you are sending a guitar,make sure it's in a hard case, loosen the strings and fill any voids with foam peanuts or crumpled newspaper, to stop it moving about.Use as much bubble wrap as possible to avoid any damage. https://www.overlandexpress.co.uk/instrumentcourier