Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Top 40 best selling studio albums, according to Radio 2...

What's Hot
StefBStefB Frets: 2350

This cannot be right - http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/2QnbffHjH7pqfpKF20PQy7B/the-top-40-best-selling-studio-albums-of-all-time

In whose world has Keane's Hope & Fears or Take That's Beautiful World sold more copies that Hysteria, Slippery When Wet, Metallica or Nevermind, none of which even make the list?  There's no factual substance or sales figures backing this crazy list up, so I can't help but wonder what the point of it even is.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    StefB said:

This cannot be right - http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/2QnbffHjH7pqfpKF20PQy7B/the-top-40-best-selling-studio-albums-of-all-time

In whose world has Keane's Hope & Fears or Take That's Beautiful World sold more copies that Hysteria, Slippery When Wet, Metallica or Nevermind, none of which even make the list?  There's no factual substance or sales figures backing this crazy list up, so I can't help but wonder what the point of it even is.

Presume this is UK only and that waht leads to the dicrepancies. Wikipedia has a list of best selling worldwide along with best selling by year - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_albums
  • Matt_McGMatt_McG Frets: 322
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    Gagaryn said:
    StefB said:

Presume this is UK only and that waht leads to the dicrepancies. Wikipedia has a list of best selling worldwide along with best selling by year - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_albums
    If it's UK only I would be surprised to see Slippery,etc, in there. Seems about right, I certainly wouldn't have been amazed if Adele had been at number 1. 

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26961
    You have to remember, you don’t get a really big selling record from selling to all the musos; you get it from selling to everyone else...
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12351
    You have to remember, you don’t get a really big selling record from selling to all the musos; you get it from selling to everyone else...
    When I look at the list and think of albums kicking round our house owned by me, missus munckee and my 13 year old daughter, the ones on the list we do not have a copy of between us are the ones by Michael's Jackson and Buble, Leona Lewis and The Corrs, we have all the others in some format.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6059
    Surprised Bridge Over Troubled Water didn't chart higher, esp as it spent 33 weeks at No. 1. James Blunt sold more! Blunt's album is definitely deserving of a place but he must have sold a lot of records to chart above Bridge, which has been out for 48 years and probably still sells in quantity.
  • 6 Music had a different list to this one.
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7768
    I've got 5 of those on cd and 2 on download. 
    To my shame one of them is Coldplay's first album!
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12351
    My biggest shame is my wife has simply red and phil collins.  The first coldplay album is great shiver is a properly top song.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72304
    I have 22 of them.

It definitely should be clearer that it’s a UK top 40 though...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    No Led Zeppelin!
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    The current album chart produced by that company is based on sales and weighted audio streams. 
    If they have included audio streams in this that will have shifted it a bit, possibly to the detriment of the Led Zeps. Unless I missed it no Queen either yet when they did the top albums of all time a couple of years ago Queen Greatest Hits was number 1 ( I guess the dominance of compilations in that chart leading to the studio designation of this one). 

[based on a quick look at that list from two years ago if you take out the compilations it is pretty similar]
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7768
    edited October 2018
    munckee said:
    My biggest shame is my wife has simply red and phil collins.  The first coldplay album is great shiver is a properly top song.
    Y'know Simply Red have grown on me, great tunes and fantastic singing. Coldplay peaked with the first album and I thought they were great at the time, (before I owned a Radiohead album) but they got so cringey that I can't innocently enjoy the first album ever again. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72304
    Winny_Pooh said:

Coldplay peaked with the first album and I thought they were great at the time, (before I owned a Radiohead album) but they got so cringey that I can't innocently enjoy the first album ever again. 
    I’ve never liked the first album and thought they got much better later, although then eventually went downhill again.

I can’t stand Radiohead though. (Apart from Fake Plastic Trees.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • munckee said:
    Y'know Simply Red have grown on me, great tunes and fantastic singing. Coldplay peaked with the first album and I thought they were great at the time, (before I owned a Radiohead album) but they got so cringey that I can't innocently enjoy the first album ever again. 
    The first album was decent but Fran Healey from Travis put it well when I saw them at Symphony Hall earlier this year - he said basically they don't have their own style but just borrow whatever is popular at the time and use it to their advantage. So that's why you can like one album and none of the others because it just happened to be based on a style or asthetic you like. Which is why I like Parachutes and none of the others, because it's clearly in that Travis-ish late 90s indie brit pop after-thought style
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • My contribution clocks in at 11.
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5151
  • Also 13, but there are all the older albums.  It does go to show that some people will buy utter shit though

• Only own two - Oasis and Pepper. Some utter shite in that list for the most part! 
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    I own Nos, 4, 6, 8 and 36.