what very small cab could I use with an H&K Grandmeister head?

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
In my other thread I am asking about small practice amps, but it just occurred to me that I could possibly solve the problem by getting a small cab to go with my H&K head that I'm not using these days. 

Being someone who has never played live, my knowledge of cabs etc is zero. I vaguely recall reading about ohms values etc but that stuff is all right over my head and I have certainly forgotten anything I read. I have a recollection that this head was more forgiving than others over the ohm thing, but I'm not sure about that?

I'm wondering if there is a physically very small cab that I could use with the H&K? it doesn't have to sound particularly good, it's just for occasional low volume noodling in lunch hours. No room at work for a big box!

Any thoughts?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1589

If that is the 4x EL84 head you really want a speaker rated at 50W for absolute safety. However, if you can be sure you will not be belting the beans out of it a 10" 20-40W speaker should serve. Is a ten small enough? There are few 10" guitar speakers that sound good and even fewer eights and smaller than that, bugger all?

8 or 16 Ohms according to the pictures I have seen. "Small" is of course in the eye of the whatsit! A ten could go in a 12X 15X 8 inch box but where you would get one from, no idea! How are your carpentry skills? I have a couple of gash 10s kicking around.

Dave.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71956
    If it’s just for low-volume noodling then literally anything will do - impedance and power rating don’t matter at all if you’re going to be playing it at obviously very low power output.

I would probably avoid anything rated at under about 5W just in case you accidentally turn it up, but you’d really have to want to make a lot of noise to even reach that level deliberately - home practice volume is no more than a watt at the outside.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    ICBM said:
    If it’s just for low-volume noodling then literally anything will do - impedance and power rating don’t matter at all if you’re going to be playing it at obviously very low power output.

I would probably avoid anything rated at under about 5W just in case you accidentally turn it up, but you’d really have to want to make a lot of noise to even reach that level deliberately - home practice volume is no more than a watt at the outside.

I'd say a Watt is a bit of an overestimate, people may play louder than me at home but I never have my Katana over 50% volume on the 1/2 watt setting. 

ICBM makes good points. Find a charity shop (our Scope is great!) pick out a gash "mid fi" speaker and then diss the tweeter and fit a jack. ...Probably be best "half backed"?

Dave.

• drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 911
    How about one of these? Cheap, good speaker, plywood construction, can't be bad.
    https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_g112_vintage.htm
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1254
    Might be worth scouring eBay for a dead cheap small combo which could be repurposed as a cheap cab.

My Ampmaker SE5-A kit is built into the carcass of a little Behringer 1x10” combo which cost me about a fiver and included a perfectly serviceable Jensen speaker rated for 30 watts...
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
  • JeremiahJeremiah Frets: 629
    H&K make a 1x10 cab:

Though any of the above options will be cheaper

• olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    drwiddly said:
    How about one of these? Cheap, good speaker, plywood construction, can't be bad.

The V30 doesn't sound any good at Low Volumes, it needs to be pushed a bit. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    drwiddly said:

The V30 doesn't sound any good at Low Volumes, it needs to be pushed a bit. 

I doubt OP would think 12 inches is "small" anyway?

I agree about finding a grotbox amp at a second hand/charity shop. Always a few 8" sste Marshalls at our Cash Gennys. Be a 4R speaker but as IC says, no matter if you just want to tickle it.

Dave.

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    Just found this, looks ideal size wise so I may go for it.

Vox BC108 Compact 1x8 Cab

Dimensions (W x D x H): 260 x 280 x 200 mm

• onyironyir Frets: 45
    You could get a small pa speaker or a monitor and use the red box output on your amp, instead of the speaker output. That'd allow to get pushed amp sounds at low levels. I've got a tubemeister that I use that way at home and sounds way better than with a guitar cab at low volume
    onyir said:
    You could get a small pa speaker or a monitor and use the red box output on your amp, instead of the speaker output. That'd allow to get pushed amp sounds at low levels. I've got a tubemeister that I use that way at home and sounds way better than with a guitar cab at low volume
    Interesting thought
  • BC 108 was a cheap transistor when I was a young teenager. Now it's a speaker cab :s
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71956
    BC 108 was a cheap transistor when I was a young teenager. Now it's a speaker cab :s
    Still sounds similar though.

;)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1258
    edited October 2018
    At £300 it's a no from me