A picture can say a thousand words

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 28329
I just saw this picture and found it very touching. I'd even go as far as to say I felt a tad emotional. I've been watching some of those recoloured clips of the war recently, and it really brings home the fact that they were all just regular men, smiling, having a laugh, joking around and yet thrown into a terrible conflict that wasted many lives.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ShrewsShrews Frets: 3005
    Yep, we've been lucky in these last 70  or so years to live in a time without conscription. It came close in the first Gulf war, but if I told you the secrets of that then I'd have to kill you.

Nevertheless, it may well happen again, especially if Corbyn ditches the nukes and finds that our ex-friends in Europe are not that friendly any more. 

We've been massively privileged and take much for granted, but the reality is because the world is full of greed and desperation and plenty of nutters who manage to get into power then war is never that far away. 

People at this time of year should take stock of how lucky we are and why togetherness is important for a nation. 

Great picture, it does indeed speak a thousand words.  
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • fobfob Frets: 1430
    We recently went to France to visit a family member's grave from WW2. It was MUCH more emotional than I thought it would be - just rows and rows of wasted lives and nearly all of them in their early twenties. Never underestimate the readiness of a minority of 'politicians' willing to sacrifice other people.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • fftcfftc Frets: 559
    Shrews said:

People at this time of year should take stock of how lucky we are and why togetherness is important for a nation

And indeed for a Continent, probably even more so.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24283
    fob said:
    We recently went to France to visit a family member's grave from WW2. It was MUCH more emotional than I thought it would be - just rows and rows of wasted lives and nearly all of them in their early twenties. Never underestimate the readiness of a minority of 'politicians' willing to sacrifice other people.
    Never underestimate the stupid electorate who vote for the politicians who see war as a solution.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TrudeTrude Frets: 914
    fob said:
    Yep, I visited my Grandad's grave near Caen when I was a kid.  I remember instantly getting tears in my eyes looking out over that sea of gravestones.  And then finding his plot and seeing my own surname there....  It was even stronger for my Dad, who was only nine months old in '44 when his Dad died.  I'm glad we got to be there together, and I plan to take my own kids there too one day soon.

Thanks for posting that pic @axisus - powerful stuff.
    Some of the gear, some idea

Trading feedback here
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom