When to hand in your notice?

What's Hot
rawk100rawk100 Frets: 1757
So I've got a letter via email today offering me a job. Everything looks good and I've got to sign the letter and send it back as acceptance along with a date when I can start. So what next, do I hand in my notice and agree my last day at work and then sign the acceptance? Do I sign the acceptance first and then hand in my notice afterwards? Does it matter? I've got till the end of the month to accept the job. I'm not 100% sure of my notice period at the moment either. Any advice is appreciated cause I haven't changed jobs for years...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mgawmgaw Frets: 5258
    get the new one totally signed off before you put your notice in
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 14reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24798
    @mgaw’s bang on. Nail down the new job fully, then resign. And work whatever notice is required with good grace. Someone once told me ‘life is an interview for a job you don’t know you’re going to apply for’. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • VeganicVeganic Frets: 673
    mgaw said:
    get the new one totally signed off before you put your notice in
    This under normal circumstances.  In reality it depends on what you can get away with and whether you want to be taken back or want to make sure you keep moving forward.

Personally I'd be extra cautions and get signed off sick for a few months to see how it works out. 
    2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ShrewsShrews Frets: 3003
    You need to find out your notice period first (staff handbook? Intranet?)

Once you send in your acceptance letter, request written confirmation from your new employer of the actual start date (it should be the one you stated on your acceptance letter). Once you've got that written confirmation then hand in your notice.

I'd say make sure you have a weeks holiday before starting your new job. It helps to put an end to your old job and to get rid of any baggage you might be carrying around from it. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • As above. 
    Get everything in place with the new job first... And PLEASE check the contract before you sign it! 
    Several times I've been sent contracts that didn't reflect what I'd negotiated- pay point, holidays, flexible working etc. I could easily have lost out by not checking .
    Once you're happy, sign it, get confirmation it's all ok & then resign your current job. I assume your employer knows you've applied etc. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7332
    are you Ms T May by any chance?
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    I'd think to find out the notice period, add a week or two to it, sign everything for the new job and get it sorted, then hand in your notice..
    that way if there are delays making the new job 'official' you have a week or two headroom plus time for a nice little chill out before going to the new place..

best o' luck matey...
    play every note as if it were your first
  • rawk100rawk100 Frets: 1757
    Thanks for the comments. I've checked the contract and it seems to reflect what was agreed, apart from the start date. I spoke to the new company and they are happy to adjust the start date accordingly once I know exactly what my notice period is. So I'm going to accept the new position and then hand my notice in......Gulp!!!
    Always a big decision, but you're making it for a reason(s).  The only issue you have now is if your current employer comes in with a counter offer and perhaps an additional bonus of some sort of resolution promise to the reasons why you are leaving i.e offer you more training etc.

Stay with current employer

Pros
    - they'll match the offer (plus you may be able to weedle even more out of them, if you're savvy!)
    - They offer you additional stuff like training etc
    - You stay with an employer that 'know you' - strengths/weaknesses etc

Cons
    - they might not offer the promises made
    - might look to stab you in the back for having the audacity to hand in your notice (rare, but I have known it happen)

Leave current employer

Pros
    - it's a better offer than your current employer i.e pay, working conditions, benefits etd

Cons
    - they don't know you, you don't know them
    - your weaknesses may be scrutinised much more closely
    - you have a probation period to pass
    - you can be dismissed without any tribunal for another two years

Only you know the 'real' reasons why you are leaving but ultimately it comes down to what your current employer might do to counteract the offer.  I've done it in the past and my employer tried everything they could to keep me, including a bumper pay rise (but I thought to myself, why the hell did it need to come to this before it was offered?) I've also left a company and they didn't seem that bothered (!) in fact my boss, who was the cause of me leaving, didn't speak to me for the entire month of my notice period!

Ultimately, everything considered, it's just a job and whether you stay or go it signals the start of a new chapter in your life. It's good to have choices, many people in the world don't even have that.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2386
    Congrats! I'm also doing this today as well - but yes, make sure you sign the official contract BEFORE you resign, or you're potentially opening yourself up for trouble.
    Shrews said:
    Always a big decision, but you're making it for a reason(s).  The only issue you have now is if your current employer comes in with a counter offer and perhaps an additional bonus of some sort of resolution promise to the reasons why you are leaving i.e offer you more training etc.

Pros
    - they'll match the offer (plus you may be able to weedle even more out of them, if you're savvy!)

Cons
    - might look to stab you in the back for having the audacity to hand in your notice (rare, but I have known it happen)

Leave current employer

Pros
    - it's a better offer than your current employer i.e pay, working conditions, benefits etd

Cons

Only you know the 'real' reasons why you are leaving but ultimately it comes down to what your current employer might do to counteract the offer.  I've done it in the past and my employer tried everything they could to keep me, including a bumper pay rise (but I thought to myself, why the hell did it need to come to this before it was offered?) I've also left a company and they didn't seem that bothered (!) in fact my boss, who was the cause of me leaving, didn't speak to me for the entire month of my notice period!

Ultimately, everything considered, it's just a job and whether you stay or go it signals the start of a new chapter in your life. It's good to have choices, many people in the world don't even have that.
    To expand on this - I have had this happen a couple of times, mainly from large IT firms (no names, but they're two of the 'big 4' in cloud solutions). Needless to say, the promises of things that resolved my reasons for wanting to leave never materialised after I declined the new position elsewhere... I'd certainly suggest getting any 'promises' in writing if you can, and if that feeds into you deciding to stay where you are.
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 982
    Shrews said:

Pros

Cons

Leave current employer

Pros

Cons

@Shrews ;

3 Pros for staying & only 1 for leaving  :/
    duotone said:
    Shrews said:

Pros

Cons

Leave current employer

Pros

Cons

@Shrews ;

3 Pros for staying & only 1 for leaving  :/
    It depends how you 'weight' that one pro versus the other three. It might far outweigh 50 pro's for staying. When I left one of my jobs, I was desperate to leave because there was genuine hatred towards my manager and I've no doubt it would've ended in violence. Not good for him, not good for my career!  
    Fair enough, just re-read it and as you say “they might not offer the promises made”.  Just curious, but would it be right or wrong to ask for written confirmation of the promises?
  • rawk100rawk100 Frets: 1757
    The company I work for have been steadily cutting back and not replacing staff, and those staff that remain are given more and more duties to perform. I 've been given more duties without a penny more in salary, including doing 24/7 standby once a month. They don't seem to take no as an answer. The office I work in has now been downgraded to little more than a satellite office with no chance of promotion. I suppose I could stay here for another 20+ years till I retire but that thought scares me! No, it's time to move on with a fresh challenge, hopefully the new company and job will invigorate me and give me some satisfaction.
    edited October 2018
    duotone said:
    Fair enough, just re-read it and as you say “they might not offer the promises made”.  Just curious, but would it be right or wrong to ask for written confirmation of the promises?
    For your own sake, it's the right thing to do; but I would almost guarantee you will not get a written confirmation of the changes....!
    If you are considering any counter offer from your current employer, then yes, definitely get it in writing in the presence of HR and put together a plan of when the promises will take place.  There will be a small window for them to do this and one of the promises should be given quickly as a sign of intent and to give you trust in the promises they've made.

As far as I know, even if you sign your acceptance letter for your new employer, you are not legally bound  to join them (although this might not be the case in some industries??) and you can change your mind at any point. So, your current employer would have a few weeks to think about a counter offer and to put a plan into action to ensure the promises made happen.

Your company could of course still not honour the promises made even if a plan is put together. But they do so in the knowledge that you have previously found it easy enough to get another job and likely any breaking of the promises will drive you towards leaving again.

Shrews said:
    If you are considering any counter offer from your current employer, then yes, definitely get it in writing in the presence of HR and put together a plan of when the promises will take place.  There will be a small window for them to do this and one of the promises should be given quickly as a sign of intent and to give you trust in the promises they've made.

As far as I know, even if you sign your acceptance letter for your new employer, you are not legally bound  to join them (although this might not be the case in some industries??) and you can change your mind at any point. So, your current employer would have a few weeks to think about a counter offer and to put a plan into action to ensure the promises made happen.

Your company could of course still not honour the promises made even if a plan is put together. But they do so in the knowledge that you have previously found it easy enough to get another job and likely any breaking of the promises will drive you towards leaving again.

That's correct about the obligation for joining once a contract is signed; I actually asked that very question on these forums a while ago. I'd basically been given an offer by one company, accepted it, and then 2 days later got a better offer at a better company. It was a horrible thing to do, but I just contacted the first job and stated I would not be joining after all. Morally correct? Not sure. However, was it an 'illegal' thing to do? Nope.

....and to top it off, that original company have contacted me recently to try and get me to join them again, so it doesn't always burn bridges. If you do it, just be honest, polite and sincere.
    edited October 2018
    Shrews said:

The past 3 construction companies I have worked for didn’t have a HR dept.

Thanks @Shrews ;
     I appreciate it.
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5359
    The no obligation thing is definitely true.  If you do accept a new job but then decide not to take it for any reason, the only thing I'd say is tell the new not-employer as soon as you can, and as @FarleyUK says, just be honest and polite.  Don't do what a depressing number of people do at one of our clients, which is to simply not show up on your first day, or call at 5:30 the Friday before.

It happens, for various reasons, and that's life. However, the closer it is to the start date, the more work will have been put in to getting ready for you, and the ruder/more annoying it is.