Ideas for a 1979 guitar?

What's Hot

Comments

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14180
    tFB Trader
    Hamer or Dean I seem remember were the cool guitars from that period iirc.
    very few of each for sale from this era as both had such low production numbers at the time with barely any official distribution at the time in the UK - Certainly surprised if you can pick up either for anything like 1K today - Always remember the Dean adverts for some reason or another !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I would imagine that a '79 Jazzmaster would be out of your budget, so I'd suggest an Ibanez Artist. I had a mid-late 70s 2618 and it was a gorgeous guitar in every way. I've regretted selling it every day.
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Hamer or Dean I seem remember were the cool guitars from that period iirc.
    very few of each for sale from this era as both had such low production numbers at the time with barely any official distribution at the time in the UK - Certainly surprised if you can pick up either for anything like 1K today - Always remember the Dean adverts for some reason or another !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Indeed, the only time my dad ever showed interest in guitars was when he saw those ads.  ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I would imagine that a '79 Jazzmaster would be out of your budget, so I'd suggest an Ibanez Artist. I had a mid-late 70s 2618 and it was a gorgeous guitar in every way. I've regretted selling it every day.
    A Jazzmaster is my favourite type of guitar. I really do think they are amazing, but even with such a heavy biased opinion I couldn't ever recommend a 79 Jazzmaster. 
    I thought all the stock got swallowed up by fishing companies to use them as cheap anchor alternatives. 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 9271
    A tokai breezy sound will only be about £600 and they’re pretty decent. Or a springy sound if you’d rather a strat
  • 1979 Sunburst - $1,100 with a Kahler retrofit - but $1,100!! - sold yesterday - I was amazed at that price

https://www.hamerfanclub.com/forums/topic/83530-fs-1979-hamer-sunburst-black-bound-and-crowned/?tab=comments#comment-959883 ;
    I'm always looking for interesting USA Hamers for sale.

At the moment I'm looking for:
    * Hamer Watson, SS2, Vintage S, T62.
    * Music Man Luke 1, Luke II

Please drop me a message.
  • 1979 Sunburst - $1,100 with a Kahler retrofit - but $1,100!! - sold yesterday - I was amazed at that price

https://www.hamerfanclub.com/forums/topic/83530-fs-1979-hamer-sunburst-black-bound-and-crowned/?tab=comments#comment-959883 ;
    I cant believe someone did that to this historical piece, such a shame, just can’t get my head around it, makes me feel sad, a true loss......oops hang on wrong thread  ;)
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26918
    I’d go MIJ LP if it were me. Preferably a custom with ebony board, if you can find one
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    tFB Trader
    1979 Sunburst - $1,100 with a Kahler retrofit - but $1,100!! - sold yesterday - I was amazed at that price

can understand that price with various changes under taken and condition - but $1100 would soon become £1300 ish after shipping, tax, vat and remember CITES - Fine if you wanted to leave as is
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22718
    I would look for an Anniversary strat from 79. 
    I know it's out of the OP's price range and wish list, and I know most of them are rubbish, but it was the first thing I thought of when I saw the thread title.  That's the guitar I most associate with 1979.

Some good suggestions here, but I do associate Hamer, Ibanez, Aria etc more with the early 80s than late 70s, that's when they really started coming to prominence.  I think of the 70s as the golden age of Japanese copies, although they were starting to come up with original designs.
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2243
    How about one of the Fernandez Strats? Japanese copies but usually hella good

1979 Fernandes FST-60J Jeff Beck strat
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    How about a lovely Hondo Less Paul or maybe one of these little beauties?:

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3059
    Springy/Breezy I reckon. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7332
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

First, does it have to be an electric?
    Second, given the continent you are on wouldn't a trip South present you with better bargains in terms of VFM.
    In 20 years time a lovely Guild/Martin/Gibson acoustic guitar will still be at your side to strum long after the Marshall stack is sold and the digital processor has become unrepairable.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12663
    Tbh, 1979 wasn’t a great year from either of the ‘big two’. And most from this period will now fall into the vintage-mojo-bullshit category meaning they suffer from VAT.

Vintage
    Added
    Tax

Guild stuff from this period interests me, and as I’ve suggest Shergold it would seem a bit odd to say what I’m about to say... but frankly, a Yamaha SG1000/2000 is the archetypal guitar of the period. I’ve not played a ‘bad’ one, although some weigh the same as Wales. There’s a reason a lot of the post-Punk guys played these and not Les Pauls of the same era. They are fab - assuming your back can handle the weight and mine can’t hence why I sold mine a long time back.

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    impmann said:
    Tbh, 1979 wasn’t a great year from either of the ‘big two’. And most from this period will now fall into the vintage-mojo-bullshit category meaning they suffer from VAT.

Vintage
    Added
    Tax

Guild stuff from this period interests me, and as I’ve suggest Shergold it would seem a bit odd to say what I’m about to say... but frankly, a Yamaha SG1000/2000 is the archetypal guitar of the period. I’ve not played a ‘bad’ one, although some weigh the same as Wales. There’s a reason a lot of the post-Punk guys played these and not Les Pauls of the same era. They are fab - assuming your back can handle the weight and mine can’t hence why I sold mine a long time back.

like the VAT comment - not heard that before

I still own my SG2000 from 1978 and yes weighs a ton - I don't gig now but when I did that SG only did the first hour or so - far to heavy for anything longer - But still play it but not my day to day guitar

Not sure which year the more affordable SF Super Flighter models came out - SF500/700 and 1000 ( I think) - far lighter but still a quality MIJ model - Maybe late 70's or early 80's
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72244
    The lower-number Yamaha SG models are almost always lighter - not quite as thick, and without the brass block under the bridge - and usually sound a bit more characterful than the rather 'too perfect' SG2000 tone with it's very even frequency response and linear sustain. The best models are in the SG800-SG1500 range in my opinion.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3436
    Just type 1979 into Ebay, see what turns up.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • kt66kt66 Frets: 315
    As Gretsches were a bit dodgy in 79, I'd look at a Rickenbacker, still sensible prices and 79 era guitars are superb, and all hand made, so everyone a bit different.