Boxing might be removed from the Olympics!

What's Hot
RockerRocker Frets: 4978
Shock and horror but it seems that the sport of boxing may be removed from the Olympics.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/boxing/45899704

A similar feature is on the RTE News Now! website.
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Good. Ban it along with shooting.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6122
    tFB Trader
    Fretwired said:
    Why? Both require an extreme amount of skill. Boxing is probably one of the biggest tests of heart you can get in sport. 
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24262
    Fretwired said:
    And dressage.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • 77ric77ric Frets: 539
    Completely agree about dressage, or prancey horse as I call it. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4308
    Emp_Fab said:
    Fretwired said:
    And dressage.
    Or combine all 3 into one sport. 

People punching and shooting at each other from the back of a dancing horse could be quite entertaining. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

7reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
    I’ve written and deleted a somewhat lengthy and ranty post but, in brief, I wouldn’t miss it. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28021
    Let's ban it all, just for funnies. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • My view of Olympic sports is simple. 

Is an Olympic Gold Medal the pinnacle of the sport? 
    If it is then the sport should remain. If not it should be removed from the games. 

Eg: 
    Football- World Cup/Champions League
    Golf- Augusta Masters/Open
    Tennis- Wimbledon/US/French/Australian Open
    Basketball- NBA
    Road Cycling- The Tours

I'm not convinced that if any of the events above clashed with the Games that you'd see all the top athletes come to the Olympics. 

Boxing is an interesting case. An Olympic gold IS a major landmark in a fighters career and the crowning achievement as an Amateur... But is it more important than a Pro world title? Hard to say it isn't in an era of alphabet titles! 

I strongly objected to the proposed removal of Wrestling a few years ago. It's a traditional Olympic sport where the gold IS the highest accolade. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6122
    tFB Trader
    My view of Olympic sports is simple. 

Is an Olympic Gold Medal the pinnacle of the sport? 
    If it is then the sport should remain. If not it should be removed from the games. 

Eg: 
    Football- World Cup/Champions League
    Golf- Augusta Masters/Open
    Tennis- Wimbledon/US/French/Australian Open
    Basketball- NBA
    Road Cycling- The Tours

I'm not convinced that if any of the events above clashed with the Games that you'd see all the top athletes come to the Olympics. 

Boxing is an interesting case. An Olympic gold IS a major landmark in a fighters career and the crowning achievement as an Amateur... But is it more important than a Pro world title? Hard to say it isn't in an era of alphabet titles! 

I strongly objected to the proposed removal of Wrestling a few years ago. It's a traditional Olympic sport where the gold IS the highest accolade. 
    With amateur boxing it is the highest accolade. The two sports are sufficiently different. Indeed more than any other sport I’ve seen, if you go “pro” then you can’t fight at the Olympics.

the #ame can’t be said for tennis or football
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4686

Amateur boxing is a different sport in many ways and to that end the Olympics is the pinnacle in that respect.
    It's also much closer to what many people will get involved with in boxing with the rise of the white collar and charity events.

I think it should stay. The pinnacle of boxing is so often a freak show which not everybody can access easily unless you have subscriptions and then PPV, the Olympics ensures it is brought to a whole different audience and without all the pomp and controversy. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72246
    Boxing is more in the spirit of the original Olympic Games than any of the team sports are.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8786
    I say go the whole hog with these one on one combat sports. Retiarii vs murmillones.  Conor McGregor vs a chimp armed with a hammer. 
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293

Amateur boxing is a different sport in many ways and to that end the Olympics is the pinnacle in that respect.
    It's also much closer to what many people will get involved with in boxing with the rise of the white collar and charity events.

I think it should stay. The pinnacle of boxing is so often a freak show which not everybody can access easily unless you have subscriptions and then PPV, the Olympics ensures it is brought to a whole different audience and without all the pomp and controversy. 
    I don't know that much about it but certainly there is the impression that amateur and pro boxing are quite different. 
    Boxing is more in the spirit of the original Olympic Games than any of the team sports are.
    The modern (1896 onward) Olympic games are essentially military exercises so I guess it is, although it wasn't there from the start ( became an Olympic sport in 1904, dropped in 1908 as it was banned in Sweden and then restarted - according to Wikipedia). 

I don't like boxing but I can certainly see arguments for keeping it in the Olympics. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12325
    I think its an incredibly skilful sport done properly and I watch it a lot.  I take the point that there are world championships and also amateur world cups, golden gloves etc so can understand it making way, but that would also mean removing golf, football, tennis etc.

I'm really liking the idea of watching a chimp with a hammer taking connor mcgregor. who annoys me immensely.
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    I find it difficult to watch boxing as I get older, but I find amateur boxing a slightly easier watch.. probably due to the shorter bouts, and perceived lower risk of permanent damage/death.
     I willingly acknowledge the skill and balls involved, but if I never saw two guys punching each other about the head, ever again, I wouldn’t miss it..
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
    Boxing is a great olympic sport but they should have kept it to amateur status. 

Get rid of stuff that ISN'T A SPORT!!!! - Dressage and synchronised swimming to name a couple.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • axisus said:

Get rid of stuff that ISN'T A SPORT!!!! - Dressage and synchronised swimming to name a couple.
    Running, javelin, relays, track and field... all not sports. Be a ruddy boring Olympics without that. 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    axisus said:

Do you have any idea how difficult the latter is?
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    axisus said:

I agree.. 
    so no EA Sports playstation events... lol..

the other thing with boxing is that the physical conditioning of boxers is phenomenal..

it does surprise me that some things I think of as being games are considered to be sports
    snooker and darts for example.. the pro's consider themselves to be sportsmen, but they're games..

thinking on it.. what's actually the difference between a game and a sport?
    I've always thought of a sport as being something physical that requires physical conditioning..
    things where you race, jump, swim, fight, lift, throw, skate, ski etc..
    dunno.. I guess there's a bit of a blurry line.. cos discus throws and that looks like a sport to me..
    but darts throws and that looks like a game
    play every note as if it were your first
    Clarky said:
    axisus said:

I agree.. 
    so no EA Sports playstation events... lol..

the other thing with boxing is that the physical conditioning of boxers is phenomenal..

it does surprise me that some things I think of as being games are considered to be sports
    snooker and darts for example.. the pro's consider themselves to be sportsmen, but they're games..

thinking on it.. what's actually the difference between a game and a sport?
    I've always thought of a sport as being something physical that requires physical conditioning..
    things where you race, jump, swim, fight, lift, throw, skate, ski etc..
    dunno.. I guess there's a bit of a blurry line.. cos discus throws and that looks like a sport to me..
    but darts throws and that looks like a game
    Depends upon one can sup pints whilst engaging in said activity. 
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom