Boxing might be removed from the Olympics!

What's Hot

Comments

• 77ric77ric Frets: 539
    You could sup pints between discus throws. It would certainly make it a bit more exciting, maybe not for the on field officials mind who will have to keep there wits about them. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8786
    77ric said:
    You could sup pints between discus throws. It would certainly make it a bit more exciting, maybe not for the on field officials mind who will have to keep there wits about them. 
    And in running events. The Gallon Stakes Hurdles.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16290
    Didn't they drink wine during marathons to maintain stamina? I think a choice between the Olympics, Paralympics and Drunkolympics would be good. And the winter Stonedolympics held in Canada. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

• JerkMoans said:
    77ric said:
    And in running events. The Gallon Stakes Hurdles.
    There's the beer mile. 4 laps of 400m, drinking 4  beers, 1 before each lap.
    PSN id : snakey33stoo
  • GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268
    Get rid of events that are won and lost by judges evaluating style and handing out subjective points.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    I think we're onto something here....
    pissed up cycling would be awesome, and no doubt fights would break out so it'd cross over into combat sports

stoned ice hockey may be a bit slow though
    however, acid hockey could be quite funny
    play every note as if it were your first
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14163
    tFB Trader
    Garthy said:
    Get rid of events that are won and lost by judges evaluating style and handing out subjective points.
    I have issues with this as well - be it ice skating, gymnastics - Don't get me wrong as I'm not saying there is no skill as it is highly skilled but so is ballet - But I agree it becomes an opinion rather than a fact - So on that basis we'd have ball room dancin' joining the Olympics - Who runs the fastest and throws the furthest is  easy to determine the winner

I do agree with other points above about certain events like tennis, golf and football were the Olympic Gold Medal is of less value then winning a major in golf or the Champions League in football - Maybe keep golf and or tennis in but restrict it to those not in the top 100 rankings, or under 18/19's only - Or indeed create a new variation of it for the Olympics - Football for instance could be a 5 a side tournament only - Still fun and competitive 
    Why not permit competitors to attach all the bionic prostheses and neck all the performance enhancing substances they desire, first? Behold the spectacle of Total Cyborg Combat Gymnastics on ‘Roids.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • In my experience amateur boxing is very much hit and not get hit. Often in professional boxing you need to take risks to land big shots if that's your style - its a lot more 'rugged'. You don't see as much of this in amateur boxing, it's a different type of skill which is why its not always a case of a great amateur makes a great pro.

I love watching amateur boxing personally, I wish they showed more of it on TV. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2382
    JerkMoans said:
    I say go the whole hog with these one on one combat sports. Retiarii vs murmillones.  Conor McGregor vs a chimp armed with a hammer. 
    A mirror?
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28284
    I much prefer to watch amateur boxing - only 3 rounds and you can see the scores 'live'. 
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11285
    Let's also get rid of the medal imbalance between sports.

There are 987 different types of gymnastics. Let's have one overall medal. Either that or expand the Olympics football competition to include 5-a-side, 6-a-side, penalties, head tennis and three-and-in.
    scrumhalf said:

There are 987 different types of gymnastics. Let's have one overall medal. Either that or expand the Olympics football competition to include 5-a-side, 6-a-side, penalties, head tennis and three-and-in.
    With rush goalies?
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    tFB Trader
    JerkMoans said:
    scrumhalf said:

With rush goalies?
    and jumpers for goal posts
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    JerkMoans said:
    scrumhalf said:

With rush goalies?
    and jumpers for goal posts
    I approve.  Wholly in keeping with the Corinthian, amateur spirit of the competition.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28284
    I'm proposing a new sport for the next Olympics, and I have already set up a petition to try and get 40,000 signatures to have it considered..

The Tetratathlon: 4 events. Solo synchronised swimming*, followed by Dressage, followed by flower arranging and lastly a 400m skipping race (not with a rope, just the skipping that kids do)  

*this would be poncing about in the water with a cheesy grin by yourself, so not actually 'synchronised' but similar moves.

tFB Trader
    axisus said:
    I'm proposing a new sport for the next Olympics, and I have already set up a petition to try and get 40,000 signatures to have it considered..

The Tetratathlon: 4 events. Solo synchronised swimming*, followed by Dressage, followed by flower arranging and lastly a 400m skipping race (not with a rope, just the skipping that kids do)  

*this would be poncing about in the water with a cheesy grin by yourself, so not actually 'synchronised' but similar moves.

whatever happened to junior school sports races - Bean bag, 3 legged, sack, slow bicycle and dad's race - Can't these come into play for the Olympics ?
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11444
    axisus said:

Then you would lose the chance to answer the really big question about synchronised swimming:

If one of them drowns, do the others have to drown too?
  • randersonranderson Frets: 187
    My view of Olympic sports is simple. 

Is an Olympic Gold Medal the pinnacle of the sport? 
    If it is then the sport should remain. If not it should be removed from the games. 

Eg: 
    Football- World Cup/Champions League
    Golf- Augusta Masters/Open
    Tennis- Wimbledon/US/French/Australian Open
    Basketball- NBA
    Road Cycling- The Tours

I'm not convinced that if any of the events above clashed with the Games that you'd see all the top athletes come to the Olympics. 

Boxing is an interesting case. An Olympic gold IS a major landmark in a fighters career and the crowning achievement as an Amateur... But is it more important than a Pro world title? Hard to say it isn't in an era of alphabet titles! 

I strongly objected to the proposed removal of Wrestling a few years ago. It's a traditional Olympic sport where the gold IS the highest accolade. 

My view of Olympic sports is simpler. 

It's a complete corrupt body that simply follows the money. Case in point, the serious consideration they are giving to gaming (i.e. on screens) participating in future events..

https://www.olympic.org/news/olympic-movement-esports-and-gaming-communities-meet-at-the-esports-forum
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4975
    Garthy said:

That would remove gymnastics, diving, boxing, wrestling, dressage to name but a few. 
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum