Boxing might be removed from the Olympics!

What's Hot

Comments

• ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    JerkMoans said:
    Why not permit competitors to attach all the bionic prostheses and neck all the performance enhancing substances they desire, first? Behold the spectacle of Total Cyborg Combat Gymnastics on ‘Roids.
    gets my vote..
    play every note as if it were your first
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    JerkMoans said:
    scrumhalf said:
    Let's also get rid of the medal imbalance between sports.

There are 987 different types of gymnastics. Let's have one overall medal. Either that or expand the Olympics football competition to include 5-a-side, 6-a-side, penalties, head tennis and three-and-in.
    With rush goalies?
    and jumpers for goal posts
    headers and volleys, and only one goal
    play every note as if it were your first
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4978

JerkMoans said:
    Why not permit competitors to attach all the bionic prostheses and neck all the performance enhancing substances they desire, first? Behold the spectacle of Total Cyborg Combat Gymnastics on ‘Roids.
    Your ‘joke’ is not in good taste my friend, members of this forum use prosthetic devices to try to live life as normally as they can. 
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28329
    Rocker said:

JerkMoans said:
    Your ‘joke’ is not in good taste my friend, members of this forum use prosthetic devices to try to live life as normally as they can. 
    It was a pretty harmless comment to be honest. It's too easy to be offended these days.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2760
    Garthy said:
    Get rid of events that are won and lost by judges evaluating style and handing out subjective points.
    So, boxing then ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2760
    I must admit I don’t support boxing as a sport, as its fundamental intent is to cause as much damage to your opponents head so that they collapse unconscious or have to stop because they haven’t got the mental capability to make their bodies safely function and protect themsleves

i do not dismiss their fantastic fitness, stamina, Willpower etc, but also so many other sports have similar.

i just find it obscene in the 21st century that we give big money to watch people maim each other. And I am aware that olympics are amateur.

my views on whatever the ultimate combat stuff is called are even more pronounced.

i have similar views about paintball, but less so about shooting at clay plates thrown in the air.  

When i I held the work social events budget, the only 2 events that I wouldn’t fund were a boxing event and painballing.  I must admit I did fund laser quest, so that might be seen as a little bit hypocritical.   It just seems wrong to support and champion violence and shooting people

• scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11291
    JerkMoans said:
    scrumhalf said:
    Let's also get rid of the medal imbalance between sports.

There are 987 different types of gymnastics. Let's have one overall medal. Either that or expand the Olympics football competition to include 5-a-side, 6-a-side, penalties, head tennis and three-and-in.
    With rush goalies?
    and jumpers for goal posts
    If I could be sure that there wouldn't be special Nike goalpost jumpers I think I'd be okay with that.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Emp_Fab said:
    Fretwired said:
    Good. Ban it along with shooting.
    And dressage.
    Agree .. horse dancing for the rich.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    JerkMoans said:
    axisus said:
    Boxing is a great olympic sport but they should have kept it to amateur status. 

Get rid of stuff that ISN'T A SPORT!!!! - Dressage and synchronised swimming to name a couple.
    Do you have any idea how difficult the latter is?
    Cooking a three course meal to three star Michelin standard is hard but its not a sport.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    ThorpyFX said:
    Fretwired said:
    Why? Both require an extreme amount of skill. Boxing is probably one of the biggest tests of heart you can get in sport. 
    A Gold medal at the Olympics should be for amateurs. It's just a staging post into becoming a professional fighter which renders it meaningless. The fights are laughable compared to pro Boxing. It shouldn't be in the Olympics. Personally I'd cut lots of sports that have their own championships. Football .. wtf. Countries just send their pro national team. We have the World Cup and each world region has its own competition. It doesn't need to be in the Olympics.

• DominicDominic Frets: 16089
    JerkMoans said:
    I say go the whole hog with these one on one combat sports. Retiarii vs murmillones.  Conor McGregor vs a chimp armed with a hammer. 
    I agree........real Gladiators,thumbs down stuff would be fantastic
    I bet that if true mortal combat and all the blood and gore in true cruel Roman style was actually brought back there would be no less spectators even in 2018 - humans are pretty sick really .If they brought back public hanging/executions there would still be huge crowds that would go .Morbid curiosity.
     Dressage ,on the other hand, would only draw more spectators if it was performed naked -- it is ,however the pinnacle of equitation can't see why anybody would object to it .

• SporkySporky Frets: 28097
    Fretwired said:
    Emp_Fab said:
    And dressage.
    Well, if the poor would get off their fat lasy arses and teach their horses to dance to the same standard then they could join in.

Fretwired said:

Cooking a three course meal to three star Michelin standard is hard but its not a sport.
    It is if you do it on horseback.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Fretwired said:
    ThorpyFX said:
    Fretwired said:
    Why? Both require an extreme amount of skill. Boxing is probably one of the biggest tests of heart you can get in sport. 
    A Gold medal at the Olympics should be for amateurs. It's just a staging post into becoming a professional fighter which renders it meaningless. The fights are laughable compared to pro Boxing. It shouldn't be in the Olympics. Personally I'd cut lots of sports that have their own championships. Football .. wtf. Countries just send their pro national team. We have the World Cup and each world region has its own competition. It doesn't need to be in the Olympics.

The thing is it's not really a staging post unless you are from a country with a big pro boxing scene. If you are an amateur boxer from say Pakistan, you'll have to move countries to go pro and a lot of people don't want to do that unless they are guaranteed a nice signing on bonus as security.  Incidentally if I remember rightly the percentage of gold medalists who go on to win a world title (bearing in mind you've got 3 or 4 'world titles' in most divisions) is only around 15 pct, I'll give it a google later but it's definitely under 20 pct.
    Fretwired said:
    ThorpyFX said:
    Fretwired said:

The thing is it's not really a staging post unless you are from a country with a big pro boxing scene. If you are an amateur boxer from say Pakistan, you'll have to move countries to go pro and a lot of people don't want to do that unless they are guaranteed a nice signing on bonus as security.  Incidentally if I remember rightly the percentage of gold medalists who go on to win a world title (bearing in mind you've got 3 or 4 'world titles' in most divisions) is only around 15 pct, I'll give it a google later but it's definitely under 20 pct.
    I read that pretty much every fighter who won a gold medal turned pro .. they may not win a world championship. There are exceptions like the Cuban guy who remained amateur. There are also fighters who don't bother with the Olympics as they go pro so you don't even see the best fighters. And why the head guards?

• Fretwired said:
    Fretwired said:
    ThorpyFX said:
    Fretwired said:

I read that pretty much every fighter who won a gold medal turned pro .. they may not win a world championship. There are exceptions like the Cuban guy who remained amateur. There are also fighters who don't bother with the Olympics as they go pro so you don't even see the best fighters. And why the head guards?
    Head guards I agree is a funny one.  They were designed (obviously) to cut down serious injury but afaik they barely lesson the impact of a brain juddering blow, certainly not as much as people thought they would when they brought them in.  They also give you a false sense of security so you end up walking into more shots. On top of that some designs actually means your field of vision is disrupted because of the eye protection so you don't always see wide hooks coming !
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    Fretwired said:
    Emp_Fab said:
    Fretwired said:
    And dressage.
    If we followed that logic there would be no Winter Olympics at all. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 4997
    edited October 2018
    Pretty sure a chimp would literally tear McGregor apart without the need for a hammer. 

Would probably be pay to view though. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72295
    Fretwired said:

And why the head guards?
    Because the object of amateur boxing is to win by scoring points, not by knocking the other boxer senseless.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:
    Fretwired said:

And why the head guards?
    Because the object of amateur boxing is to win by scoring points, not by knocking the other boxer senseless.
    I know that .. pro-boxing works on points as well. Headguards should be used for young boxers and in training. The Olympics should bin them for the actual fights. Headguards give you a false sense of security.

• RockerRocker Frets: 4978
    ICBM said:
    Fretwired said:

And why the head guards?

Amateur boxing follows the pro boxing scoring system. Boxers win rounds which differs from the old system where a boxer, by registering scoring hits amasses points from the start of the contest. Despite their problems, I think that head guards should be used for amateur boxing for the reason outlined by @ICBM.

Someone suggested banning shooting. Olympic trap and skeet are extremely skilful and demanding sports. Interesting to watch too as everyone can see the result of a shot. Therefore clay shooting (with shotguns) should remain an Olympic sport.  I was never a fan of target shooting with rifles or air guns, the targets being card with circles marked on it.  I tried it out for the lark, but got bored quickly. And it is not much of a spectacle either. I have no problem in removing rifle/target shooting from the Olympics.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum