Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

The London International Guitar Show 2018 - Anyone been before?

What's Hot
AlbertCAlbertC Frets: 932
I see that this show is happening not too far from me on 28 October. I've never been to a guitar show before, so I'm just wondering if it's worth going along to and what can I expect.
I'm not really bothered about watching any live acts, but I would be interested in playing and getting a feel for a load of guitars. I am more into acoustics, though I do own and play a couple of electrics.
I assume they'll be a lot of stands and you'll be welcome to try the guitars out - yes?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Hydra19Hydra19 Frets: 321
    There should be, have you googled it? I guess it's not fair to expect the same as NAMM but I'm sure there will be interesting guitars to try and people to talk to. Might attend myself
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14177
    tFB Trader
    http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/140688/the-london-international-guitar-show-kempton-race-course-28th-oct#latest

for some info

There will be well over 2000 guitars for sale, but far more used than new regarding the established major brands - Plenty of small boutique British builders both amps, pedals and guitars inc acoustics - So plenty of gear you won't see in your major box shifting store, or your market town independent - Well over 100 exhibitors - More table top and less corporate

Plenty of spares and accessories

Yes you can try guitars - always somewhat awkward at shows for acoustics but this show will have far more 'no noise' sessions throughout the day

Some love them, some don't like them so I suppose it depends what you are looking to get out of it
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7763
    I was there last year. If you like the idea of a vibey guitar show with smaller UK brands (no Gibson PRS, Fender, Ibanez) then you might like it. I certainly enjoyed it.
  • AlbertCAlbertC Frets: 932
    edited October 2018

Yes you can try guitars - always somewhat awkward at shows for acoustics but this show will have far more 'no noise' sessions throughout the day

Thanks, I didn't see that thread

Okay, so there'll be a fair level of noise from electrics+amps/performances which makes demo acoustics (sound-wise) a bit tricky. Is it all in a single big area? There aren't separate quiet areas where they put acoustic stands? 

*Edit* Okay, I just read through that other thread so I get the picture with noise levels.  
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2573
    tFB Trader
    The Birmingham show Jason runs has several quite times during the day which are a godsend to be honest, this London show is going to have even more quite times every 30 minutes or so I think, which should make discussion and acoustic testing much easier.
    There are 2 floors and on the top  floor there are quieter areas by the coffee/food stand, if you are serious about something take it out there to have a proper listen.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    AlbertC said:

Thanks, I didn't see that thread

Okay, so there'll be a fair level of noise from electrics+amps/performances which makes demo acoustics (sound-wise) a bit tricky. Is it all in a single big area? There aren't separate quiet areas where they put acoustic stands? 

*Edit* Okay, I just read through that other thread so I get the picture with noise levels.  
    yes quite zones throughout the day

Not sure how stand space is allocated - some dealers sell both electric and acoustic so will be a mix of both on the same stand - Yet many dedicated acoustic builders there, so hopefully all/many will be in a similar area - Not sure if any dedicated acoustic only dealers there
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5000
    edited October 2018
    Brilliant show today, if a bit noisy at times due to the numerous inveterate widdlers who just had to demo their guitar/amp/pedal/hairdo at ear-splitting volumes from time to time, usually outside the agreed 10 minute noisy period.

There were too many impressive fretboarder stands to mention them all but @miserneil showed his stunning workmanship at Ivison Guitars, Mark from @guitars4you had the usual great selection of high-end guitars on sale, @ThorpyFX having at last listened to my advice from a previous show about shrinking his pedal enclosures had a cool display, and @RiftAmps had plenty of amps on display to drool over without even hearing them turned on. 

It’s worth mentioning the catering too - I had a ‘tuna nicoise sub’ with which I had to play ‘hunt the filling’ for a while before dispensing with most of the bread and making do with some thin slices of egg, a couple of bedraggled scraps of lettuce, and some essence of tuna. If they’d been giving them away free it would have been a total ripoff!

Great fun all round though and I can’t wait for the next one.
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I got to play a 4x10 Marshall Bluesbreaker from ‘66 and so left a very happy man. :+1:  :-)
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7763
    A good show. Lots more vintage stuff on display than last year. Two long neck 330s that looked sweet amidst the usual overpriced strats and teles. Some Eastmans but not a large variety. There was also a 52' flame top conversion for 13k. Lazy Js sounded good.

Played this facinating guitar for a while. An exact midway between an acoustic and electric tonally when clean but takes distortion really well. Totally flat radius and interesting U shape neck that was remarkeably comfortable.

Also saw some nice pedals from a new to me UK builder https://www.zandercircuitry.co.uk

Then played a tasty Rift tweed V front and bought some newtone strings.

Thought the new thorpy and vanflet amps looked very slick. 
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    tFB Trader
    I had a really great day at the show, most enjoyable, lots of great comments on my guitars and a few orders too!

Great to see many fretboarders in attendance, including @fretfinder, @guitars4you, @ATB_Guitars, @musicman100, @Winny_Pooh, @lewis_grey, @customkits, @poopot, @FelineGuitars, @iain.reverb ;@RiftAmps, @ThorpyFX plus many other fine fellows from the board who's usernames escape me!

Some serious guitars there too, including a couple of '52 Goldtops that had my head spinning for a while.

A great day all round! 

http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
  • uncledickuncledick Frets: 406
    Yeah great day all-round.  A credit to the organisers.
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3288
    tFB Trader
    I had a good day too, really liked talking to @miserneil about finishes etc and glad he's as obsessive as me, probably worse

Had a lovely chat with Mike @Modulus_Amps and played a couple of my guitars through his amp, very nice amps 

I particularly liked looking at a few vintage guitars to see how close ish i got on colours and ageing etc

@poopot Stuart came for a wander round and introduced me to jesse hoff Lazy J amps, he had a lovely 52 goldtop that looked superb, nice and beat up with greening, that's the next finish to crack for me, especially the greening 

www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    tFB Trader
    Good to see a few FB members at the show - Ref FB exhibitors and yes I had a chat to one or two, but sorry if I did not get round to seeing or chatting to others - Once you've set up and had the coffee it is close to open time - Then when the show is on I barely got a break, so sorry if I did not see some fellow FB exhibitors but hope you had a good day
    tFB Trader
    Good to see a few FB members at the show - Ref FB exhibitors and yes I had a chat to one or two, but sorry if I did not get round to seeing or chatting to others - Once you've set up and had the coffee it is close to open time - Then when the show is on I barely got a break, so sorry if I did not see some fellow FB exhibitors but hope you had a good day
    Me too, was by myself so did not even get to go down stairs, but managed a quick look upstairs, Most of my business was actually done after the show... I was the last person to leave the building ha ha

Was great having @poopot and @customkits just around the corner, Darren builds some cracking guitars, here is a phone video of poopot "giving it some welly" on one of Daniels jnr's

Was not a loud day by any means, I think I had two times in the day where my stand was probably louder than it should have been, but overall my ears really enjoyed the day.

I also enjoyed seeing Drewmans guitars again, the aluminium body guitars with great sustain and worth checking out too,  did some contraband dealings with Thorpy that shall never be spoken of again and enjoyed listening to Rifts PR18 sounding lovely.

I have a few "pro" guitarists that always come to see me, yesterday I was introduced to Adam Lee for the first time, stunning guitarist with great touch and feel, his youtube channel has tasty covers, but if he creates more content like I saw at the show he will be away with it, one to watch. we have some great talent in the UK.
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4915
    I enjoyed the show - chatted with one or two folks, considered buying a hacked and abused Flying V and a Hagstrom 8-string bass, had a go on Jon Camp's doubleneck (£5k - ouch!), nearly bought a cheapo Kay Strat, picked up loads of parts from a few stands.

I'll be sure to go again next year.
  • Flame_GuitarsFlame_Guitars Frets: 79
    tFB Trader
    If you missed this show put it in your diary for next year. This is the 3rd year I have exhibited at the show and always enjoy it. The format and cost to exhibit means that this type of show attracts smaller businesses, like mine. So you get to see lots of exhibitors that can't justify the expense of the big shows and keeps away the big boys. That may or not attract you. But I think there are enough exhibitors and interest to make this a good day out. 

The organisers work hard to try and keep amp levels down, and the amp police do patrol. But I happened to be close to a couple of exhibitors who clearly have a different perception of "reasonable amp levels". But both apologised later, so that's fine.

As well as exhibiting the guitars I make its a good chance for me talk to many local people about my main work, which is serving & repairs.

And I get to talk guitars for 8 hours with others who share my love of guitars, so what's not to like. (and I'm home in 30mins!)
    Flame Guitars. Custom electric guitars, servicing & repairs by David Kennett
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I had a fantastic day, and I bought a coral sitar.   I've booked a week off work to learn how to tune it.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Very much an enjoyable day. Loads of nice stuff to try out and always nice to put some names to faces.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
    I'd like to have gone along, but having spent all day at Comicon on Saturday it wasn't really practical for me. Too bad as I've been wanting to see Thomas Blug again for many years. I must try and catch him somewhere this week if I can find the time. He's rarely in the UK.
    tFB Trader
    For those that missed it Karl Golden just put out this video. My Amps feature several times with sound and playing around 7 minutes in.
    Shame I did not get to the bottom floor, there are things in the video I would have purchased.