Richard Thompson

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 19114

This is one of my favourites from anyone ever.
    Which reminds me - Mirror Blue’s a great album too.... :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • Big fan here too, never forget when I first heard Beeswing, bought all his stuff thereafter. Electric wise, he’s a true maverick - one of the great songwriters of our time  B)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • dallcorpdallcorp Frets: 36
    The intro to the album version of Calvary Cross.........(and any of the solos in the live versions)........jaw dropping stuff.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • dallcorpdallcorp Frets: 36
    I first saw him live in a smallish venue in Vancouver.........touring the Mock Tudor album........and several times since.......he's a consistently impressive live performer!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
    edited October 21
    Just back from The Opera House - 2 hours of exceptional musicianship. Wheeled out a few real classics, such as Wall of Death, Tear Stained Letter, Dimming of the Day, Beeswing, Vincent Black Lightening and many more. All played on either a reissue Strat, with a few pedals through a couple of Deluxe Reverbs - or his Lowden. A great night....
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • @richardhomer ; the strat is partscaster...i asked his tech last week!.. and when his tech joined him last week for songs off the new album he was using richards 1968 sunburst strat... 
    edited October 22
    @richardhomer ;; the strat is partscaster...i asked his tech last week!.. and when his tech joined him last week for songs off the new album he was using richards 1968 sunburst strat... 
    Don’t suppose you asked about the 50s maple neck one he used to play? I’d love to know if he still has it - and whether it ever gets played in the studio.

The partscaster is made from Fender parts - it’s essentially a 62 reissue Strat with a perloid guard - it used to be fitted with Rio Grande pick-ups. Not sure whether it still has those.
  • WolfetoneWolfetone Frets: 1031
    The English version of Christy Moore but perhaps with a bit more guitar chops.

I listened to a couple of songs, Beeswing being one and I will be listening to more. 
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 6002
    Best albums are rumour and sigh along with sweet warrior for me.

I misunderstood is probably my favorite song of all time. 

But all his work is worth checking out.
  • Just got tickets to see him at Wycombe Swan a week Friday ... can't wait!
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 353
    I'll be a mild dissenting voice, I love his electric playing, but his songwriting and his singing don't do much for me. I've seen him live both with and without a band and found it all just a bit dull and Dadrock-y.
    Stuckfast said:
    I'll be a mild dissenting voice, I love his electric playing, but his songwriting and his singing don't do much for me. I've seen him live both with and without a band and found it all just a bit dull and Dadrock-y.
    Dad folky perhaps - but really, neither his songs or playing are mainstream enough to fit your description. He might be 69 years of age - but he’s about as far away from musical complacency as it’s possible to be....
  • Stuckfast said:
    Dad folky perhaps - but really, neither his songs or playing are mainstream enough to fit your description. He might be 69 years of age - but he’s about as far away from musical complacency as it’s possible to be....
    Couldn’t agree more.

Dad folky wise though, I’ve been trying hard to nail Beeswing acoustically today. No decent YouTube lessons on this song but just enough to pick it up and have a fiddle whilst listening to the record. Drop D, capo 2nd fret, a hope and a prayer. No difficult chords or fingerstyle but his phrasing is gonna take time. I’ll get there  ;)
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 1004
    Saw RT in Bexhill last night. Totally immersive and knocked spots off the King Crimson gig I went on Monday night. Michael and Tara’s are the perfect supporting musicians for his trio. 

Highlights for me were the highly-charged Can't Win and beautiful renditions of Persuasion and Beeswing. 
  • MrBumpMrBump Frets: 502
    Yeah, he's amazing - got into him through Mirror Blue, then everything since plus his back catalogue.

He played Cliffs Pavilion in Saafend last week, but I was travelling home from holiday and couldn't make it - guttted.
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 2438
    Folk rock or rocky folk! Solo from 4mins with a wah!

The man has a touch.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
    ESBlonde said:
    Folk rock or rocky folk! Solo from 4mins with a wah!

The man has a touch.
    Bizarrely that really works - even vocally!

Thanks for posting @ESBlonde ;
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 961
    On the drive home there I was listening to a decent cover of my favourite Richard Thompson song by Greta Van Fleet: