Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Pledge vs Guitar Polish

What's Hot

Comments

• The guys at Brook use Autoglym car polish, silicon free & it brings a nice shine to motorcycles as well.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    edited October 2018
    Wtf? Who polishes a guitar firchristsakes!... 

if you must clean it, warm soapy water and a sponge!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6869
    Dunlop 65 for me. Just the bog standard stuff the body, back of the neck and hardware.  Or if a maple fretboard, that too. 

I used to like kyser, but when I tried it recently it doesnt buff off as nice. Leaves hazy patches. 

The dunlop 65 stuff doesnt in my mileage. 

The guys at Brook use Autoglym car polish, silicon free & it brings a nice shine to motorcycles as well.

That stuff is amazing, for little to no risk to car topcoat. 
    I presume they use Autoglym super resin polish. 

Its practically all fillers, with hardly any cutting abrasives. 

Makes it real easy for us amateurs to apply by hand often and without risk of burning through the clear coat.
    It doesnt really correct paint defects such as light scratches or swirl marks, instead filling them and thus reflecting light better to mask them. 

The downside is, it can take 3-5 repetitions before the gloss really builds up, and without a wax or sealant, any polish or pre wax treatment will easily wear off quickly. 

On a guitar, playing, sweat etc will soon rub it off. 

Unless its for show, I'd probably just stick with a guitar polish for ad hoc cleaning, or if you really want to protect the glossy shine, one of the guitar type carnauba based waxes. 

Super resin polish is probably fine, but to achieve its potential you need to polish in, allow to dry to a haze, then buff, and repeat. It can get a little dusty. 

I'd be worried my handling of the guitar will pick up remnants of polish and sticky my fingers/hands up lol! 

But I'm a weirdo like that :/ 

The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12325
    Dr Duck's Ax Wax is good for anything and prolongs strings (allegedly) I like it.
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1783
    My best mate has a Les Paul customs from the 70’s had it since new and gigged it for years. With a regular polish with pledge. These were unsophisticated times used what he thought. It never hurt the Nitro. But 40 odd years on the case and the guitar stinks. He had about 4 years off playing and it sat in the case in the studio. He opened it up and some mad chemical pledge and musty odour has now infused into the case fur and the wood. He has tried verything to cure it.

one of the worst odours you could imagine.

So a very big No for pledge
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    What about Mr. Sheen?
     ;) 
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24797
    My best mate has a Les Paul customs from the 70’s had it since new and gigged it for years. With a regular polish with pledge. These were unsophisticated times used what he thought. It never hurt the Nitro. But 40 odd years on the case and the guitar stinks. He had about 4 years off playing and it sat in the case in the studio. He opened it up and some mad chemical pledge and musty odour has now infused into the case fur and the wood. He has tried verything to cure it.

one of the worst odours you could imagine.

So a very big No for pledge
    Sounds like a job for Febreeze....
  • Guitar_SlingerGuitar_Slinger Frets: 1489
    edited October 2018
    Mr Sheen.  Is he married?  Does he ride a motorbike?

I used to clean my black LP with furniture polish in the mid-90s  That changed a few years later after buying a Gibson polish and cloth pack from the Rosetti stand at Music Live.

In my early 20s when I was younger and  ignoranter, we'd turn up to play somewhere and I'd probably eat a greasy takeaway and wipe my hands on my t-shirt.  Then smoke fags all night and as soon as the sweaty gig was over, sling the guitar away, in the race to go home with the young hottie I was nobbing at the time. "shudder*

IMHO, the best thing you can do for your guitar's cleanliness (as well as your preferred polish) is wash your hands before you play and keep a cloth in your case to wipe it before putting it away. 

• usedtobe said:
    What about Mr. Sheen?
     ;) 
    Is he the one whos mum and dad are so proud of him? Clean white suit and he went to Cambridge ?
  • Is he married?  Does he ride a motorbike?

In my early 20s when I was younger and  ignoranter, we'd turn up to play somewhere and I'd probably eat a greasy takeaway and wipe my hands on my t-shirt.  Then smoke fags all night and as soon as the sweaty gig was over, sling the guitar away, in the race to go home with the young hottie I was nobbing at the time. "shudder*
    @Guitar_Slinger when I grow up I want to be just like you were  :) I'm 54 how long will it take
  • All you have to do @Blaendulais is find a DeLorean, drive it up to 88mph and before you know it...
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MistyMisty Frets: 135
    Another vote for Gibson pump polish. Works fine on all guitar finishes. So does hot breath and a soft cloth.

• rossirossi Frets: 1703
    pump polish for me .
  • usedtobe said:
    What about Mr. Sheen?
     ;) 
    Is he the one whos mum and dad are so proud of him? Clean white suit and he went to Cambridge ?
    A clean white suit?! You're thinking of Neil Sedaka.
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2189
    I've really never thought about polishing a guitar. 

Who wants a shiny guitar?
  • Fishboy7 said:
    I've really never thought about polishing a guitar. 

Who wants a shiny guitar?
    I prefer to have one without loads of crap round the neck. Once you've cleaned the neck you might as well clean the rest of the instrument as well.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4180
    Trying to get my head around the concept of using polish on a guitar ! ;)
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31501
    I just grab whatever polish is in the cupboard under the stairs.

It's only for wiping the sweat and beer smears off, I haven't a clue why that warrants a massive scientific analysis of ingredients. 
  • I just take the neck off and stick both parts in the dish washer on an eco program.

Was going to make a joke about "for nitro a quick spritz with acetone works wonders" but though the above terrible attempt at humour was safer.

I'll get me coat.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7006
    tFB Trader
    I did once hose a customer's guitar down with disinfectant. It and its case smelled like a tramp's undercrackers.