What a Journey.

What's Hot
GassageGassage Frets: 30876

As some will know I have been very quite on SoMe for a few months.

So, 8 months ago, jaded with people talking shite on SoMe I started on a journey to deliver MIPIM UK as a political, regeneration and invest conf that actually meant something, covered the issues of the country and allowed people to plan and understand our political and economic position

I believe it was two facebook mates who said 'if you care so much stop talking bollocks on FB and do something about it

So I did.

8months later, from a sketch on my kitchen table, we managed to deliver 336 speakers, 43 debates, 16 keynotes and 5 summit dinners (Incl Vince Cable, Derek Mackay (SNP) Graham Stuart MP, Andy Street, the wonderful Steve Rotherham (Mayor of Liverpool), Guy Pratt (!), Sir Ed Lister and many others.

Sir Ed Lister, Chair of Home Enhland said 'James I wish my staff could write my keynotes like you can, simple and hard hitting'.....(never knew he wanted to speak abput brownface fenders 62-63, but hey ho, it worked!)

My content Ideas recieved rave reviews (see below) and I met people I never thought I'd have access to in my life.

Some of the innovations I implemented (like sport in the community and so on) had standing room only during the debate. Vince Cable had people waiting outside the door trying to listen.

I've learned so much about economics, politics and so on but most of all I believe others have learned more from the content and debating ideas I created.

I[m not normally one for working too hard, but this was worth it.

Amazing time and thanks to a number of friends on here for their support.

I rather feel a little unoccupied right now.

https://www.standard.co.uk/…/property-whizzes-head-to-mipim…

https://www.standard.co.uk/…/london-office-landlords-remain…

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
    Sounds fascinating but I have to admit my ignorance, I don't really know what you are talking about here. SoMe? MIPIM UK?

Care to add a bit of info for us ignorant types?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30876
    www.mipimuk.com

SoMe- Social Media.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7763
    edited October 2018
    I'm happy that you've made a success of your endeavour.

I'm curious how your opinion on

"I started on a journey to deliver MIPIM UK as a political, regeneration and invest conf that actually meant something." 

translates in the real world.

As you know, property investors, developers & the rentier class have a reputation for not giving a hoot for anything beyond their own cash and are not particularly popular.

I can appreciate that you're proud, but I can't reconcile this statement with a property conference. Maybe you're trying to put a lefty slant on it for people here but why bother, better to just be honest. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30876
    I'm happy that you've made a success of youe endeavour.

I'm curious how have your opinion on how

"I started on a journey to deliver MIPIM UK as a political, regeneration and invest conf that actually meant something." 

translates in the real world.

As you know, property investors, developers & the rentier class have a reputation for not giving a hoot for anything beyond their own cash and are not particularly popular.

I can appreciate that you're proud, but I can't reconcile this statement with a property conference. Maybe you're trying to put a lefty slant on it for people here but why bother, better to just be honest. 

Easy.

As the Creative Dir, I get the say in who speaks. I turned down every hard line leaver, and placed every moderate and remainer into the limelight.

The conf is more about inwrd investment and urban regen than pure prop.

One of our key themes is to deliver a platform of true social engagement- one where that means listening not selling to a caputured audience.

We are tying together the Local Authorities and private sector to unlock these issues. Long term inst investment with intetrfaces to shared major infra costs is the way forward.

This is about making inward investment effective and beneficial. If interested- read the programme- it's in the link above.

That's being honest.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ShrewsShrews Frets: 3003
    Well done!

'Vision without action is merely a dream' is a great quote that basically tells us to stop talking about stuff and get on with it. 

You did! And did some great stuff within what is actually a very short timespan.

• prowlaprowla Frets: 4915
    I too haven't the faintest clue what this is about.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ShrewsShrews Frets: 3003
    prowla said:
    I too haven't the faintest clue what this is about.

I won't pretend to either.  

But the other message I understand - if you're passionate about something then stop talking on social media and get off your arse and do something about it. 

Good for him.  

But yeah, all a bit complex for my few brain cells.