Ibanex S521

What's Hot
Jetsam1Jetsam1 Frets: 604
I like it. Maybe just lucky but it is really well finished and I can't find anything particularly wrong with it. Sounds loud and accoustically and I can feel the vibration on the body. I like the very straight forward construction and the natural finish with a satin feel to the neck. The fingerboard even has a nice grain to it. Very much worth the money for this. Stays in tune nicely too. Gets nice cleans through the switching system too. I also like the lack of cheap trem system on a cheaper guitar.

I have been wondering though as many people consider the stock pickups to be rather mediocre whether it might be fun to put some higher quality humbuckers in. I would assume Dimarzios would be a good default choice, ie put in pickups the much higher spec Ibanez's use?  It is not something I have ever done before. The tyranny of choice is applicable too.........

What I would like to use the guitar is for exploring heavier music and learning a little proggy metal. That sort of thing. Totally different to my default style of playing.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I've got an S521 in the Mahogany Oil finish. It's a lovely guitar. 

I've not had much to complain about with the stock pickups, and I like the coil-tapping options from the blade switch.

The neck might be on the thin side for me, but otherwise it's fabulous and the guitar I turn to when my Les Paul hurts my shoulder.

• Jetsam1Jetsam1 Frets: 604
    I've got an S521 in the Mahogany Oil finish. It's a lovely guitar. 

I've not had much to complain about with the stock pickups, and I like the coil-tapping options from the blade switch.

The neck might be on the thin side for me, but otherwise it's fabulous and the guitar I turn to when my Les Paul hurts my shoulder.
    Got a chance this afternoon to experiment a bit. Just with a Line 6 Pod 2 but on the Modern Hi Gain amp with a little delay and compression got a pretty close tone to what I was looking for. Went drop D and it was a lot of fun......! No idea how to play metal but was starting to get some interesting chords and note relationships out of it before having to get back to work.

Maybe it is fine as it is. Kind of want the RG equivalent now too! In terms of the neck I am generally fine bouncing between the Ibanez and traditional Strats for example.
  • YorkieYorkie Frets: 1498
    Apologies for resurrecting this thread. I am considering an affordable S521 as an alternative to my 20yo Squier strat and I have a few questions: 
    - I usually play with bridge+middle on the strat. I know the Ibanez has coil tapped pickups and can do both combined. Would it sound similar? Hard to find this bit on ytb videos. 
    - Is the neck much slimmer than a normal strat one? 
    - How does it do cleans? Would use it mainly for bendy blues. 

Cheers :)

Jon
    Adopted northerner with Asperger syndrome. I sometimes struggle with empathy and sarcasm – please bear with me.   
    My trading feedback: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/210335/yorkie

• StratavariousStratavarious Frets: 3670
    edited January 2022
    Yorkie said:
    Apologies for resurrecting this thread. I am considering an affordable S521 as an alternative to my 20yo Squier strat and I have a few questions: 
    - I usually play with bridge+middle on the strat. I know the Ibanez has coil tapped pickups and can do both combined. Would it sound similar? Hard to find this bit on ytb videos. 

Cheers

Jon
    I have the S series with HSH pickups.  So it has better ‘in between’ tones.   I did put a Bare Knuckle Holydiver in the bridge and SD Jazz in the neck though.  The middle is now a vintage Kent Armstrong rail… but TBH, the stock pickups are not too bad at all and the humbuckers can get a magnet swap if you want to play for cheap.

The neck is exceptionally thin and flat on mine. Very fast,   That and my RG through neck are high gain, rock shredders, rather than blues machines.  Cleans are a bit flat.  I’d go for something with P90s for bendy blues.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Is an Ibanex an Ibanez with the 'x' factor? ;)
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14424
    edited January 2022
    Jetsam1 said:
    I would assume Dimarzios would be a good default choice.
    Indeed.

In my recent WTB Pickups thread, @Jetfire offered me a DP193BK Air Norton. Unless its baseplate screw holes have been enlarged for direct mounting, the Air Norton would be a superb neck/Rhythm position pickup for your S521.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • YorkieYorkie Frets: 1498
    Yorkie said:

Cheers

Jon
    I have the S series with HSH pickups.  So it has better ‘in between’ tones.   I did put a Bare Knuckle Holydiver in the bridge and SD Jazz in the neck though.  The middle is now a vintage Kent Armstrong rail… but TBH, the stock pickups are not too bad at all and the humbuckers can get a magnet swap if you want to play for cheap.

The neck is exceptionally thin and flat on mine. Very fast,   That and my RG through neck are high gain, rock shredders, rather than blues machines.  Cleans are a bit flat.  I’d go for something with P90s for bendy blues.
    Thanks!
    Adopted northerner with Asperger syndrome. I sometimes struggle with empathy and sarcasm – please bear with me.   
    My trading feedback: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/210335/yorkie

• Lovely guitar. Mine has been modded with GFS active pickups, I really like it. But it is looking for a new home because the neck radius and profile don't suit my small hands.
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Is an Ibanex an Ibanez with the 'x' factor? ;)
    Or maybe it used to be an Ibanez..
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14424
    Maybe somebody is still using a Nokia 3330? :grin:
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    edited January 2022
    Well isn't this a necro thread!! 2018. Shows how long I keep guitars for.

Well, still have it, as stock. It certainly performs better with drive but I think you can get away with hotter blues for sure. The neck is classic Ibanez, wide and flat but it is the S series body that is the thing to be really aware of.
    It is very thin,small and is very odd when coming off a Telecaster for example. Sound wise fine, it will do cleans but the pseudo-coil tap inbetween settings are better than the humbuckers with stock pick ups.

Good solid no nonsense guitar really. The finish does mark easily and dents are very easily done as a word of warning.

I am considering moving it on in the next few months just as I fancy something a little different and this will help finance it. But I have had it since 2018, so it has lasted well with me. Indeed, I am only thinking about a change, haven't decided yet.
    usedtobe said:
    Is an Ibanex an Ibanez with the 'x' factor? ;)
    Or maybe it used to be an Ibanez..

Or I cannot type................... I must have been very excited back in 2018.