Jagstang wiring - is this possible?

1 x full-sized SD JB in the bridge & 1 x SD Lil’59 in the neck.

Can this be wired so that one of the slider switches is the pickup selector (as one of them is now) but the other slider switch splits the coils instead of doing that in/out of phase thing it does at the moment?

Any wiring diagrams gratefully received as I’m useless at working these things out...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72254
    Yes, it can be done.

I don't have a diagram but I think there's one online somewhere - it might be labelled as switching for a Mustang with humbuckers.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14412
    There might be something available amongst the Premier Guitar Mod Shop web pages.

This one includes the Bridge/Both/Neck switching. https://www.premierguitar.com/articles/24280-mod-garage-rewiring-a-fender-mustang

Ferret around. Use their search engine.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • Thanks both. After some searching I think combining these two might do it. 

Wire both pickups to the first switch to give inner coils/humbuckers/outer coils:

https://i.imgur.com/OwWkwFJ.jpg

Then take the outputs to the second switch to give bridge/both/neck:

https://i.imgur.com/spxU1yX.jpg

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72254
    The Mustang switches aren't quite like that, they have 8 terminals not 6.

For the coil split switch, you need to connect both pairs of 'middle' contacts together - if the terminals are labelled

A B C D
    E F G H

then connect B and C together and use that for the red and white wires of one pickup, and F and G together for the other one. D and H go to ground as the diagram shows, and A and E are the outputs to the selector switch.

On the selector switch, connect B and G together - then to the volume control. Connect A and C together for the neck pickup, and F and H for the bridge pickup - assuming A and E are towards the neck of the guitar.

(The switches are simple 'bridging' slide switches which connect A with B and E with F in position 1, B with C and F with G in 2, and C with D and G with H in 3.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:
    The Mustang switches ... are simple 'bridging' slide switches.
    They are an on/on/on design. The "centre off" position on Mustang and Jag-Stang circuits is achieved by the jumper wire connections between the eight terminals. 

I’m useless at working these things out.
    Have you tried the Duncan pickups in the guitar yet?

If not, I suggest that, before making extensive modifications to the stock wiring, you experiment with the replacement pickups -  hard-wired in single coil mode - via the existing on/off/reverse slider switching. You may find the coil split sounds disappointing.

My own route to cleaner sounds would be to upgrade the stock volume pot to a DiMarzio Pro Parts EP1200 or 1201. This will do a better job of governing the overdrive saturation of your amplification.

• ICBM said:
    The Mustang switches aren't quite like that, they have 8 terminals not 6.

For the coil split switch, you need to connect both pairs of 'middle' contacts together - if the terminals are labelled

A B C D
    E F G H

then connect B and C together and use that for the red and white wires of one pickup, and F and G together for the other one. D and H go to ground as the diagram shows, and A and E are the outputs to the selector switch.

On the selector switch, connect B and G together - then to the volume control. Connect A and C together for the neck pickup, and F and H for the bridge pickup - assuming A and E are towards the neck of the guitar.

(The switches are simple 'bridging' slide switches which connect A with B and E with F in position 1, B with C and F with G in 2, and C with D and G with H in 3.)
    @ICBM thank you :)

• ICBM said:
    The Mustang switches ... are simple 'bridging' slide switches.
    They are an on/on/on design. The "centre off" position on Mustang and Jag-Stang circuits is achieved by the jumper wire connections between the eight terminals. 

I’m useless at working these things out.
    Have you tried the Duncan pickups in the guitar yet?

If not, I suggest that, before making extensive modifications to the stock wiring, you experiment with the replacement pickups -  hard-wired in single coil mode - via the existing on/off/reverse slider switching. You may find the coil split sounds disappointing.

My own route to cleaner sounds would be to upgrade the stock volume pot to a DiMarzio Pro Parts EP1200 or 1201. This will do a better job of governing the overdrive saturation of your amplification.

The JB has been in the bridge for a while in full humbucker mode, the 59 is a recent acquisition. 

You are right, I should try it as is first.. 
    Assuming that your JB has four-con + shield output cable, temporarily ground the red/white series link. See how you get on with the coil split sounds.

The Li'l '59 is not especially high output to begin with. Coil split would reduce it to approximately 4k Ohms. IMO, a partial coil split might be more successful sonically and retain some hum-cancellation. 

Partial coil split involves a capacitor, inserted in the path between the pickup, the split mode switch and ground.