K&K Pure Mini and BOSS vs other pedals

camfcamf Frets: 1190
edited October 2018 in Acoustics
I've seen a Boss pedal mentioned as an alternative to a DI or pre amp in terms of matching the K&K impedance requirements. Do other pedals/tuners do the same thing? Do I need to swap out my Sonic Research ST-200 for a BOSS TU3? I'm struggling to find information on the input impedance of the ST-200.

Cheers!

cam f
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71956
    camf said:
    I've seen a Boss pedal mentioned as an alternative to a DI or pre amp in terms of matching the K&K impedance requirements. Do other pedals/tuners do the same thing? Do I need to swap out my Sonic Research ST-200 for a BOSS TU3? I'm struggling to find information on the input impedance of the ST-200.
    It appears to be true bypass, which unfortunately is exactly what you don't want - when the tuner is off, the pickup will see the impedance of whatever comes next. If that's another pedal or amp with an impedance of around 1M, that's fine. If it's something else, not fine.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• camfcamf Frets: 1190
    Hmm. I feared as much. Ah well, some minor pedal board jiggling required. Might stick the Boss delay at the front as the looper function is useful there too. How's the arm? :)
    camf said:
    Hmm. I feared as much. Ah well, some minor pedal board jiggling required. Might stick the Boss delay at the front as the looper function is useful there too. How's the arm? :)
    If the Boss is after the tuner it will still be fine - when the tuner is bypassed the pickup with then see the Boss as the load instead.

Arm is getting better. I still can't play guitar properly, but that's not really any worse than before ;).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

Well, if it ain't broke... except it was. See you soon, hopefully. 
    @ICBM ; Would one of these do the same thing as TU-2? https://www.boss.info/us/products/di-1/specifications/

camf said:
    @ICBM ; Would one of these do the same thing as TU-2? https://www.boss.info/us/products/di-1/specifications/
    Yes - if you use the unbalanced output. But what comes after the tuner you have? No need to buy another box if there's a good buffer somewhere in the chain, before anything that isn't...

I'm just looking for a DI option when needed but didn't want to spring for a Baggs Venue or similar. The chain would be Boss DD-7, TB tuner, Compressor, Clean Boost, DI that can either run a line out or a balanced XLR out. Something like that?
    Yes, although I would still put the tuner ahead of the delay if it's easier on the board.

I have one of those Boss DI-1s somewhere, if you want to borrow it and try it, feel free :).

Thanks. That's a good idea. I'll hopefully see you this week. Are you back in Glasgow on Thursday?
    camf said:
    Thanks. That's a good idea. I'll hopefully see you this week. Are you back in Glasgow on Thursday?
    Yes, should be.

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11413

You can get an Orchid Micro DI box for £25.

http://orchid-electronics.co.uk/micro.htm

I've used one with a guitar with a K&K pickup and it's fine.

The Sound-on-Sound review says the input impedance is around 1MOhm - so would seem to fit the bill.

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/orchid-electronics-di-boxes

If you want more flexibility, their bigger DI box can be battery powered and has more connections.

Some of the expensive acoustic preamps have more bells and whistles, but as long as you have a decent sound desk and a competent sound engineer you probably don't need them.

• IIRC there was a load of people on the acoustic guitar forum using the GE7 with K&K pickups as the impedance worked well and also the 400k slider was useful for dialling out the K&K's problem frequency.
    Thanks folks... the number of times I've sold a GE-7 thinking, "Well, I don't need that anymore... " :)
    camf said:
    Thanks folks... the number of times I've sold a GE-7 thinking, "Well, I don't need that anymore... " :)
    lol

That and LS-2s... I've owned at least half a dozen of those. I buy them if I see them going cheap when I don't have one, and then when someone needs a problem-solver I sell them thinking "I never use this" :).

edited October 2018
    So how many of each do you have now?  ;)

camf said:
    So how many of each do you have now?  ;)
    Currently none!

Lol!
  • Chris_JChris_J Frets: 139
    Fire Eye Red Eye has 1MOhm input. Solid and sounds great.