Does the Manchester Arena have awful acoustics?

What's Hot
I just saw U2 there, I can't remember hearing such awful acoustics, er. since  I saw Sheryl Crow and Page/Plant there in the 90s
When Bono was talking, you could only hear half of what he said, and many songs were hard to follow, the drums and bass were drowning out the horribly distorted vocals

I thought line arrays could fix anything?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24258
    You should claim a refund... seriously.

If you went to the cinema and the picture was out of focus and stayed like that for the whole film, you’d complain and insist on a refund,  This is no different.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6898
    I just saw U2 there, I can't remember hearing such awful acoustics, er. since  I saw Sheryl Crow and Page/Plant there in the 90s
    When Bono was talking, you could only hear half of what he said, and many songs were hard to follow, the drums and bass were drowning out the horribly distorted vocals

I thought line arrays could fix anything?
    Sounds like a result to me!
    Previously known as stevebrum
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    I’d say that was unacceptable, especially at U2 prices!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• gringopiggringopig Frets: 2648
    edited July 2020
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24797
    edited October 2018
    I saw Peter Gabriel there about 5 years ago and the sound was stunning - every other time, it’s been awful. Bass seems to be a real issue - it seems to get rolled off to avoid boom, leading to a ‘loud transistor radio’ sound at most gigs.

Unless someone’s playing there who I absolutely ‘have’ to see, I avoid the place.
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11878
    I've been avoiding it for years, also because of the distance to the performer. My Mrs saw U2 in Croke park and said the sound was good, so I thought with their kit and the big screen stuff and multiple stages, I thought the arena scale and acoustics would be ok.

It wasn't even that loud, but I had a lot of hissing in the ears last night, mostly gone now. That's indicative of lots of distortion. I know it's got a metal roof, but surely they can do better
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4692
    No different to the O2 then which I have vowed never to return to.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.