If your shelling out a couple of grand plus

What's Hot

Comments

• armitaanarmitaan Frets: 378
    I think there’s a big distinction between coming up with some random spec you think may work and how some of these small operators work. Take Probett, Feline, Alpher as example , each has a few models with scope for tweaking some of the specs (I’m sure they could build something completely bespoke but can’t imagine most people are genuinely after that ).. Am sure you  can try out similar guitars, necks they have available, and then it’s more finish and appointments that could always change anyway . I get the point about not trying before you buy but how many people who have just shelled out 2.5-3.5k on a new r8 or r9 actually tried the guitar our first before buying ( although obv lot easier to return if don’t like ). Maybe I’m low maintenance but if I’m happy with the neck carve (most important thing for me) choice of frets, shape of guitar and finish and rough idea weight I’m likely to be pretty happy. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 9271
    armitaan said:
    If you are a serial flipper or are worrying about resale before you’ve got it then it’s probably not for you. As commented above you need a good idea of what you want, and you need to be very clear with the luthier exactly what you want as have seen a number of cases where scope for misinterpretation. On the flip side you can get something handmade by one guy who can be a genuine craftsman as opposed to something essentially coming off a production line, and something unique rather than being one of thousands of generic guitars . I had Alpher guitars build me a guitar, love it, unique to me and no intention of getting rid of it, it’s actually saved me money in longer term as have moved on a number of guitars since it’s arrival as it gets more play time than everything else. Also you gotta be the type who doesn’t give a monkeys what anyone else thinks, 99 percent of guitar players need an F or G on the headstock, or at least to look identical to one of their creations : you’ve only got to look at the love on this forum for all the hundreds of pretty much identical R8s that have flooded the market of late:) Seeing relic custom shop strats selling for > 3k new for a mass production line guitar should be incentive enough to see what’s out there, there are some fantastic craftsman in this country who could make you something by hand with love, care and attention that is truly unique to you, but if you’re likely to want to flip in 6 months, stay away unless you have deep pockets. 
    A Fender Custom Shop Guitar isn’t a mass production line guitar. Yes, they’re made in a factory, but there is a world of difference in how they’re made compared to the regular production line. The idea that a boutique builder is somehow a more skilled craftsman compared with Gibson custom shop or Fender master builders or even custom shop is just rubbish. That’s not to say someone like Patrick Eggle doesn’t make incredible guitars, but if you asked him to make a blackguard tele, he’d make it the same way as a Dale Wilson or Jason Smith. Ron Thorn is a masterbuilder now and that should tell you all you need about how good those guys are.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Thought those master builders just assembled the guitars having chosen the woods etc . No way they do anything like eg John elliott who carving own bodies and necks. Anyway I won’t get in an argument on this as sure the millions of fender fans will be on my case, but think you’d be surprised how little what I would call genuine craftsmanship really goes on
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3288
    tFB Trader
    chris78 said:
    A Fender Custom Shop Guitar isn’t a mass production line guitar. Yes, they’re made in a factory, but there is a world of difference in how they’re made compared to the regular production line. The idea that a boutique builder is somehow a more skilled craftsman compared with Gibson custom shop or Fender master builders or even custom shop is just rubbish. That’s not to say someone like Patrick Eggle doesn’t make incredible guitars, but if you asked him to make a blackguard tele, he’d make it the same way as a Dale Wilson or Jason Smith. Ron Thorn is a masterbuilder now and that should tell you all you need about how good those guys are.
    Sorry but that is complete nonsense, you honestly think some so called master builder, whatever that is is actually making anything in a factory is laughable to me

What is a master builder btw, is he somehow more skilled than a one person luthier workshop,  i don't think so,  i love the thought of this master builder running around making anything start to finish

This is nothing more than fender marketing
    B. S, they might pick lighter weight wood, big deal it's already been cnc'd or nicer looking maple necks, he never made it that's for sure 

www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
    edited October 2018
    To me it was about having something made where I knew the guy was actually “making” the thing rather than assembling it. Not saying in any way it’s better one way or another , I just liked the fact I knew the guy was doing something I’d never be able to do myself . 

http://i65.tinypic.com/29vgpis.jpg

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • StuartMac290StuartMac290 Frets: 1446
    edited October 2018
    I have a custom order in just now, but it's simply a variant of my favourite guitar that I've ever owned, made by the same builder. Same exact neck shape and dimensions, as close to the same weight as possible, same frets and set up - just different woods and pickups, but nothing too radical anyway.

The thing that often strikes me about so many custom builds is they are far, far too fancy or blingy for my tastes and have 100 features and options all crammed in.
  • The last guitar that I bought before I became a serial guitar builder (and sold my F and G guitars) was from @KempGuitars. He sent me pictures of wood options before it was built, we agreed the wood, the body shape & neck profile, he did the woodworking (the difficult bit) and I finished it and installed electrics etc (the easy bit). 

The result is a beautiful guitar that plays like a dream that you won't find hanging on the walls of your local guitars-are-us shop. And it cost way less than a custom shop guitar. And I'm not going to sell it. Ever.

Back to the original question...If you're shelling out 2 grand on a guitar why not get someone to build exactly what you want?

If you're thinking about resale, forget it. If you want a F or G style guitar - go buy a real one. But if you want a unique guitar, talk to a good luthier - discuss what you want and see if they understand where you are coming from. 
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1783
    I have a custom order in just now, but it's simply a variant on my favourite guitar that I've ever owned, made by the same builder. Same exact neck shape and dimensions, as close to the same weight as possible, same frets and set up - just different woods and pickups, but nothing too radical anyway.

The thing that often strikes me about so many custom builds is they are far, far too fancy or blingy for my tastes and have 100 features and options all crammed in.
    Agree totally with this a lot of people at least historically would end up with some mega pimped out Tele with ultra grade birdseye maple neck  quilted maple fingerboard,  Pickup surrounds and knobs in matching wood. All gold hardware usually a gold bigsby as well. Most end up as simply a dog's dinner of a guitar and lots are as dead as the proverbial parrot from the playing point of view. 

• RabsRabs Frets: 2607
    edited October 2018 tFB Trader

If you're thinking about resale, forget it. If you want a F or G style guitar - go buy a real one. But if you want a unique guitar, talk to a good luthier - discuss what you want and see if they understand where you are coming from. 

Yes.. I think this is the thing..

When you take on a complete custom build you MUST talk a lot before.. I will send picture examples of what we are talking about from the wood types to the hardware and I will do (very rough) mockups to try and show the best I can what the end result will be... Also when I can and the person lives in a reasonable driving distance I will go and visit them when the neck and body are one and the neck is carved. That really is the most important bit..  Then if they are happy I carry on, if not I make the required changes, usually works  (well always so far, touch wood).  Buying a guitar without trying the neck first will always be a bit of a risk that cant be avoided in certain cases if there is no choice. I also do build diaries and send regular photo updates if the customer wants it and is interested (not everyone wants that) so that they get to see the whole thing as I do it.

The last build I did.. Heres the mock up and the end result.. (the middle one is the mock up in case you don't realise )

https://i.imgur.com/XCeBKd6.jpg

The guy I built it for told me from day one that he wasn't that good at imagining what the end result would be. So it was my job to make sure he was as clued in as possible.. and he is still happy with it (as far as I know anyway )

Another thing about luthiers if I may..  One of the things I like to think I offer is service.. If something does go wrong or the person wants changes done, they can come to the builder directly and assuming its nothing to major I will gladly do it for free. The rest we can talk about 

And by the way.. The guitar above was not 2k... 

• FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11570
    tFB Trader
    Overly blingy, with fussy wood with no tone ...not here!

However you can have very pretty with tons of tone and great playing features

But seeing a customers vision through to the end (as long as it will truly work) is what we do

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 7reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    I try and stay away from over polished pieces of art, my main concern is producing something that somebody wants to pick up and play and not worry if they ding it

I do use wood that i find from other people if possible and reuse it, I've had some really interesting mahogany that sat in a guys garage for 30 yrs and it's stunning to look at, he actually brought it back from Africa in a trunk, I'd also like to go in the sustainable woods direction a bit more, I've got some rosegum to try next
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited October 2018 tFB Trader
    I try and stay away from over polished pieces of art, my main concern is producing something that somebody wants to pick up and play and not worry if they ding it

I do use wood that i find from other people if possible and reuse it, I've had some really interesting mahogany that sat in a guys garage for 30 yrs and it's stunning to look at, he actually brought it back from Africa in a trunk, I'd also like to go in the sustainable woods direction a bit more, I've got some rosegum to try next

Yes me too..   I also got some nice old wood that was sat in a garage for 30 years, lovely stuff it was too.. And once at a car boot I picked up some really old thick mahogany widow seal ledge things for about £20 

My first ever build was made from an old toilet door  D 

tFB Trader
    Rabs said:

Yes me too..   I also got some nice old wood that was sat in a garage for 30 years, lovely stuff it was too.. And once at a car boot I picked up some really old thick mahogany widow seal ledge things for about £20 

My first ever build was made from an old toilet door  D 

That's great and this is a whole different experience to buying mass produced imo, i constantly look for good wood to build with and anything interesting 

If i didn't like the outcome of what I'd made it wouldn't go out, simple as that, I've still got a couple i need to revisit because i didn't like them tonally,  i find building guitars is a very personal experience for me and i really worry if someone likes it, i sold a guitar to a guy that was already on my build waiting list, he didn't want to wait, i took the money, he sold a vintage SG for it, anyway i didn't spend it, i contacted him a couple of weeks later to make sure he was happy before i bought anything with that money 
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    tFB Trader

i contacted him a couple of weeks later to make sure he was happy before i bought anything with that money 

Haha, yes im exactly the same but probably worse.. Even when I know ive done everything right and the guitar is what it should be, you just never know till they take that first strum  :D 

Well its a type of art form isn't it..  I don't make copies so what I do is me.. When I did my first showings, despite how confident I was about my guitars, I totally shit myself.. Im fine with it now though.

There is a simple rule for anyone who does stuff for public viewing..  Some people will like it, some people wont like it and most people probably wont give a shit  :) Always...

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4180
    Well, the build thread for mine is being listed and updated when i get new Pics :)
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    A custom build is always going to be a gamble. With bolt on neck styles you can go “hybrid” and dip your toe a bit. I’ve got an excellent musikraft strat neck made to my personal specifications. Only cost around £400 shipped from the US. It’s bolted on to an Eric Johnson genuine Fender body with high end Callaham parts and bare knuckle pickups.

On paper it’s a near perfect strat (in terms of what I thought that was). It also happens to be the guitar I play the least and lacks mojo. Go figure.
    tFB Trader
    Rabs said:

i contacted him a couple of weeks later to make sure he was happy before i bought anything with that money 

Haha, yes im exactly the same but probably worse.. Even when I know ive done everything right and the guitar is what it should be, you just never know till they take that first strum  :D 

Well its a type of art form isn't it..  I don't make copies so what I do is me.. When I did my first showings, despite how confident I was about my guitars, I totally shit myself.. Im fine with it now though.

There is a simple rule for anyone who does stuff for public viewing..  Some people will like it, some people wont like it and most people probably wont give a shit  :) Always...

You should try showing them to a shop, i have a high end acoustics only shop near me, he got totally fed up with the big makers that he just got rid of them and went small ethically sourced acoustic makers, Stuart aka poopot knows him and said i should take a few of mine over for him to try, I'm glad he likes them now as he wants to put a few in his shop,  I'll be the only electrics in there, i was nervous tbh but i also know they're good, my stuff is aimed at players who like vintage vibed guitars

People have to get your stuff and they need to get them in hand to make a proper judgement before they'll buy 
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    tFB Trader
    Rabs said:

You should try showing them to a shop, i have a high end acoustics only shop near me, he got totally fed up with the big makers that he just got rid of them and went small ethically sourced acoustic makers, Stuart aka poopot knows him and said i should take a few of mine over for him to try, I'm glad he likes them now as he wants to put a few in his shop,  I'll be the only electrics in there, i was nervous tbh but i also know they're good, my stuff is aimed at players who like vintage vibed guitars

People have to get your stuff and they need to get them in hand to make a proper judgement before they'll buy 

True.. I have thought about this before actually and may try at some point.. Sadly its been a long hard year so I haven't been able to do any work at all for a while.. I will decide when this is all over what is next..  Ive done some shows the last few years but had no time so far this year so we will see.. I also took some to the FB jam a short while back which was fun.... And one of my guitars was used for a few songs too which was cool :)

tFB Trader
    Rabs said: 

True.. I have thought about this before actually and may try at some point.. Sadly its been a long hard year so I haven't been able to do any work at all for a while.. I will decide when this is all over what is next..  Ive done some shows the last few years but had no time so far this year so we will see.. I also took some to the FB jam a short while back which was fun.... And one of my guitars was used for a few songs too which was cool :)

I get the long hard road bit, I'm still in it, the workshop only got usable a few months ago 

This is not an easy thing to do is it, i still find motivation a problem sometimes personally not work wise, you've just got to keep going but it might take you longer that's all

www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)