Too much music on ipad.....solution ?

What's Hot
so we have an ipad that wont update due to storage, most of it music....whats your solution?

move to a cloud based storage ?.....can you still access it easily  on the go ?

Mac Mini M1
Presonus Studio One V5
 https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
 https://twitter.com/spark240
 Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
Reddit r/newmusicreview 
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    Are you operating it as a stand-alone device or sync'ing it from a computer?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6637
    If it’s commercial music rather than music you’ve created yourself then either Spotify subscription (which allows you to download and store music if needed) or a Sandisk connect usb stick - can stream from music files stored on it using its own wireless connection. I prefer Spotify as the interface is much better.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2073
    It almost all commercial downloads, or cd,s we have ripped to mp3 ...

spotify - so we do have a subscription at the moment,..so if I download and save stuff from there is mine for good?....can I transfer that to different devices, iPod , Hi res player etc ?

i don’t currently sync from a PC....at least not intentionally !.....though some voodoo does seem to go on somewhere .

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11673
    Cloud storage sounds like a decent option if you want to go that way.  The downside is the subscription fees but they come a LOT cheaper than Apple's iCloud, you get 1TB of cloud storage with Office 365 for example.

If you feel like you can retire your MP3 collection and go "full Spotify" (or Apple Music, or Amazon ,or Google Play Music yadda, yadda, they all cost the same) then this is simple as long as you have your internet connection handy, and you can still make things available offline.

If you are more "I've paid for these and I'm gonna keep using them" and don't want subscription fees, maybe a "Home Network" type appliance might work for you?
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4947
    How do you listen to the music stored on your iPad? Surely not through the iPad speakers :open_mouth: 
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6021
    edited October 2018
    LaCie wi-fi external hard drive?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/LaCie-Wireless-External-Android-Devices/dp/B00J38V12G

Reviews are pretty terrible but further down page are similar devices. Strange, I've always found LaCie very reliable.
    Rocker said:
    How do you listen to the music stored on your iPad? Surely not through the iPad speakers :open_mouth: 
    Mostly through my studio monitors at home, or decent headphones.

my other half listens a lot usIng ear buds and the like on the move.

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14323
    JezWynd said:
    external hard drive
    Correct. Simples!
    Be seeing you.
    spark240 said:

i don’t currently sync from a PC....at least not intentionally !.....though some voodoo does seem to go on somewhere .
    Ah, OK. If you had been doing I would have suggested setting the 'convert higher bit rate files to 128kbps AAC' option, since higher-rate files waste a lot of storage space for a meaningless (on an iPad) quality improvement.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

• GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    spark240 said:
    so we have an ipad that wont update due to storage, most of it music....whats your solution?

iTunes Match?

Store all your iPad music in the cloud and access it on any of your Apple devices.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7350
    Gagaryn said:
    spark240 said:

iTunes Match?

Store all your iPad music in the cloud and access it on any of your Apple devices.
    Good god no - not unless they have SERIOUSLY improved it - my itunes library never recovered from that
    Red ones are better. 
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7350
    TimmyO said:
    Gagaryn said:
    spark240 said:

iTunes Match?

Good god no - not unless they have SERIOUSLY improved it - my itunes library never recovered from that
    wrong tracks, wrong artwork, album tracks replaced with bizarre live versions of songs - it was what made me cross enough to decamp to spotify. 

Red ones are better. 
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11413
    Android tablet, SD slot, 256GB card?
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6637
    spark240 said:
    It almost all commercial downloads, or cd,s we have ripped to mp3 ...

spotify - so we do have a subscription at the moment,..so if I download and save stuff from there is mine for good?....can I transfer that to different devices, iPod , Hi res player etc ?

Hmm, you don’t own it for good, but can have an offline version of any Spotify tracks stored on your playback device for 30 days.

Im now unclear on what the problem you’re are trying to solve is, I assumed you had MP3s on your iPad (as well as the master copies stored elsewhere) that you wanted to free up the space from. You can’t currently transfer those tracks from your iPad to an iPod or hi res player.

Do you need a better music delivery solution to multiple devices, or just a way to play music from your iPad without filling it up with MP3s?
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    @mrkb - sorry , maybe Im not clear as I just dont get the music  / cloud / online /offline storage thing...for some reason it does  compute !

Initial problem  - too much music using storage in iPad so it wont update to lates OS.

My solution I thought - well just stick all the music in a cloud thing somewhere and play it from there...so NO actual media on iPad?

Possible advantage - I can access the media on other devices on the go ?

I hate iTunes so any other solution is a contender...

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
    TimmyO said:
    Gagaryn said:
    spark240 said:

iTunes Match?

They have seriously improved it. :-)

Works perfectly for me nowadays. I had some issues when it was first introduced though.
    edited October 2018
    iTunes works perfectly for me too - although I am using a Mac, and apparently that's much better than the Windows version.

I don't think I'll ever use a commercial cloud-based/streaming service - I'm far too picky about cataloging my music how *I* want.

• Vinyl. You can have your own cataloguing system but you may need a bigger house ;)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    edited October 2018
    Vinyl. You can have your own cataloguing system but you may need a bigger house
    Very true! I sold all mine and moved to digital 15 years ago. I realised the error I had made in 2013 and have already bought (or re-bought) so many that I need to make another visit to Ikea. :-(

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @Gagaryn how many Ellpees does that cabinet hold, where did you get it and how much did you pay for it?
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself