not a good day at the office....

What's Hot
went Just The Tonic (comedy club) last night...

Hayley Ellis (compare)
Tom Stade
Jarred Christmas
Reginald D Hunter

Tom Stade and Reg D were playing 2 venues last night, Nottingham and Leicester so where Tom Stade was first and Reg D last for us in Leicester it was the other way around in Nottingham..

Tom Stade was bloody awesome, the main reason for me going as I think he is ace.  Jarred Christmas again was brilliant and a surprise as he was a change to the original line up, defo an upgrade we shall say. Hayley Ellis not my fave when I have seen her on TV/Youtube but she was top funny and gained massive respect for having to entertain us because Reg D was over half hour late which wasn't a major problem most of the audience were there to see him..

and then he arrived, more than a bit tipsy, up his own arse and not just my opinion, pretty shit, he got very little laughs a few people left during his performance and when he was finished people left the theatre...... well as I said to the missus I remember another time people walked out a theatre in that mood, it was when I went cinema to see Schindler's List.

not a good day at the office Mr R D Hunter.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12361
    I’ve seen him too and wasn’t that impressed. He was still way better than Omid Djalili though, jeez what a load of crap he was. His material was really weak and he got stroppy with the audience when he didn’t get many laughs. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13938
    boogieman said:
    I’ve seen him too and wasn’t that impressed. He was still way better than Omid Djalili though, jeez what a load of crap he was. His material was really weak and he got stroppy with the audience when he didn’t get many laughs. 

Brilliant. Stewart Lee makes a sublime comedy routine out of this. I saw him last year at King's Lynn Corn Hall and within 30 seconds he called the whole audience "Racist Cunts" and went on to say he won't come back to King's Lynn again. It was brilliant.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    edited October 2018
    I saw Tom Stade a few weeks ago, excellent. I ended up watching a bunch of his YouTube stuff after and it’s the same routine adapted for different audiences ( no surprise I guess) but still hilarious each time. Not just funny but properly skilful. He also said he would talk to anyone who wanted to in the bar after, apparently he always does this although we didn’t hang around. I’m generally not interested in live comedy and don’t go very often and that may have been the best set I’ve ever seen so may never bother ever again now...

I probably wouldn’t go out of my way to see Reg. The singer in my band went to see him a couple of years ago and said it was 90 minutes of incoherence. By way of context he is overtly politically correct and tends to see criticism of anyone of colour as an act of racism so for him to say Reg was crap he really must have been abysmal. 

Edit: many people in the audience describing Tom as the meat van guy and after some apparently disappointed that he didn’t do that as a greatest hit. I remember seeing the meat van sketch and at the time it was possibly the funniest thing I’d ever seen on TV, although the local references ( which is a Stade thing) certainly helped me find it funny. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 982
    Saw him in Chalk Farm in 2007 (night of the Mayweather v Ricky Hatton fight) & he was the best of 4 comedians on the night...hung around in the bar afterwards while waiting for his cab and freely spoke to people...this was before selfies were a thing!