First interview for 15/16 years...

What's Hot
quarkyquarky Frets: 2777
I have having my first interview (phone interview) for YEARS this week. 

It is my second choice (at the moment, although I haven't been offered the other position). Would you tell them in the interview that you are considering another offer? Or just say you want a few days to consider their offer?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• gringopiggringopig Frets: 2648
    edited July 2020
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • nick79nick79 Frets: 254
    Good luck mate. I'm in a similar position, got 2 interviews this week (in person), think my last 'proper' interview was about 10 years ago.
    At least you haven't got to stress about what to wear! lol
  • quarkyquarky Frets: 2777
    gringopig said:
    I wouldn't mention any other offer but there is so much detail to consider: pension scheme, hours of work, exact job description and possible requirement for travel and so forth that it always wise to treat a telephone interview as a first step rather than a concrete offer that you have to accept on the spot. 
    Really good point. If I get a telephone interview at the other place I can always blow this off. It looks like they have been looking since June going by the job description, so hopefully I can afford not to rush!

nick79 said:

At least you haven't got to stress about what to wear! lol

Thanks, that is exactly what I was thinking :) 

• stimpsonslostsonstimpsonslostson Frets: 5418
    edited October 2018
    I’d only mention it if/when I were offered the first choice. Until you get an offer there’s nothing concrete to tell them.
    In much the same way you wouldn't tell the girl you're chatting up that she's a backup & you're hoping someone prettier gets back to you! 

I had my first interview in 10 years a while ago. I was nervous so I spoke to a HR consultant mate who said that if you’re called for interview then the employer has decided you’re qualified and could do the job. It’s an opportunity to see if you “fit” their team and that this works both ways- it’s your chance to see whether you think they’d be a good employer. 
    On that basis- relax, be yourself and ask as many questions as you can! 

Good luck. 
  • ShrewsShrews Frets: 3005
    I’d only mention it if/when I were offered the first choice. Until you get an offer there’s nothing concrete to tell them.
    In much the same way you wouldn't tell the girl you're chatting up that she's a backup & you're hoping someone prettier gets back to you! 

I had my first interview in 10 years a while ago. I was nervous so I spoke to a HR consultant mate who said that if you’re called for interview then the employer has decided you’re qualified and could do the job. It’s an opportunity to see if you “fit” their team and that this works both ways- it’s your chance to see whether you think they’d be a good employer. 

Good luck. 
    Your HR consultant mate is spot on.

Employers know you (us) have the skills and experience and what they're looking for is someone to fi their team and perhaps just as importantly someone who is going to get on with the particular line manager.  It's typical nowadays to have some sort of psychometric testing to see if your personality and beliefs (towards work) match theirs.

- Do you like to be managed by an autocratic management style or Laissez-Faire?
    - Extrovert or Introvert?
    - What personality traits would you bring to the team (see Myers-Briggs)

https://www.myersbriggs.org/my-mbti-personality-type/mbti-basics/home.htm?bhcp=1

- What team attributes would you bring to the team (see Belbin's team roles)

https://www.belbin.com/about/belbin-team-roles/

I'm of the belief that if you go through all this stuff and you don't get the job then you've probably had a lucky escape!  So whatever you do, don't try and blag it (unless you're desperate to get out of your current job ), just be yourself and if you get the job then you're probably going to be a good fit for their organisation and if you don't, then you probably aren't.

There would be nothing worse for you than accepting a new job and then after a few weeks realising you hate your new boss and hate the people you work with, even if you can do the job backwards.

Good luck. 

Employers know you (us) have the skills and experience and what they're looking for is someone to fi their team and perhaps just as importantly someone who is going to get on with the particular line manager.  It's typical nowadays to have some sort of psychometric testing to see if your personality and beliefs (towards work) match theirs.

https://www.myersbriggs.org/my-mbti-personality-type/mbti-basics/home.htm?bhcp=1

I'm of the belief that if you go through all this stuff and you don't get the job then you've probably had a lucky escape!  So whatever you do, don't try and blag it (unless you're desperate to get out of your current job ), just be yourself and if you get the job then you're probably going to be a good fit for their organisation and if you don't, then you probably aren't.

There would be nothing worse for you than accepting a new job and then after a few weeks realising you hate your new boss and hate the people you work with, even if you can do the job backwards.

Good luck. 

• thermionicthermionic Frets: 9605
    Send three copies of your CV...
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2408
    I had a telephone interview for the first time a few weeks ago. One of the weirdest things I've ever experienced as you have no idea what sort of impression you're making. Good luck though. I hope you smash it  :)
  • uncledickuncledick Frets: 406
    One thing to remember is that good staff are a LOT harder to come by than good jobs.  Most businesses I know would expand tomorrow if they could get the right people.
  • quarky said:
    I have having my first interview (phone interview) for YEARS this week. 

It is my second choice (at the moment, although I haven't been offered the other position). Would you tell them in the interview that you are considering another offer? Or just say you want a few days to consider their offer?
    No, I wouldn't tell them. Just gather details on this offer and then compare them. Good fortune on the interview :)