Gibson SG standard cosmetic style & year - views?

What's Hot
Just wondered what others prefer regarding style, neck, pickups and pickguard.
I'm considering buying one but not sure whether to go new or wait for a used one to come up at a reasonable price. I like the full pickguard of the 2019 model rather than the half pickguard of 2018 but obviously there's also the pickups and neck to think about as I like a narrow width and not too deep neck as i have small hands and short fingers.
whats your views and any recommendations would be appreciated.
TIA
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• KylefKylef Frets: 1042
    I'm pretty torn between these 2. I really have no need for 2 SG's, but they are both so different.

I marginally prefer the look of the '61 RI, it's one of the guitars of my youth due to the George Harrison connection, but the SG Classic gives me something tonally different with the P90's. I do think P90's and SG's were made for each other, plus they look great together with the all black guard.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I'd like a mixture of the two so probably either the new 2019 SG standard or used 2016 or pre 2012 would give me the full pickguard but also the block inlays and covered pups? Cant make up my mind about pups though as some like the 57's or 61's while the latest has 490's.
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    If you looking at the 2019 SG standard, your budget is healthy. Easily enough to find a used Gibson USA '61 Re-Issue.
    In fact, if you will forgive me, I would urge you to save just a little more, and look for a used Custom Shop Historic SG. Maybe right here in the Classifieds. Worth the extra money.

But if not, look at every guitar you can find that balances perfectly on a strap and has a slim 60's style neck.
    If the neck fits (your hands), I believe that pickups are a slightly lower priority because pickups are easily changed and easily traded. I Iike both styles of pickguard.
    My 61 (USA) Re-issue was a great guitar with great pickups. (57 Classics). But it was neck heavy. I sold it for £750.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BigsbyBigsby Frets: 2913
    What I really like with the SG shape is the deeper body carve, typically found on the early 60s models with the angel wing pick guards. Especially how that looks around the horns, this is probably why I love the 'diablo' carve they occasionally use. Unfortunately Gibson have been using the shallower carve in the last few years, similar to the shape of the 70s SGs - apart from the HP models, which have tended to be carved a bit deeper, for some reason.

When it comes to pick guards, I generally prefer the small angel wing shape, but sometimes I like the batwing, and sometimes no guard at all. There really is only one solution:

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3137
    Just picked up a 2018 Sg special on here. It’s the half pickguard and can take mini-hums/p90s (depending what you put in it). Amazing guitar. Lightweight, no neck dive and sounds stunning. Worth checking one of these out.

I got this one: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/141638/sold-gibson-sg-special-2018-550-posted-sold#latest
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31370
    Always go full pickguard, then you can put P90s in it if Gibson forgot to. :)
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2873
    edited October 2018
    Mines in my avatar, 2008 Standard. Tbh I usually much prefer the small guard to full batwing but it is what it is. This was the one that played, kept tune and sounded the best in the shop. I've not had much luck with bridge P90s for it (Bare Knuckle MQ neck sounded great though), would like to try the Oil City Critical Mass 90s. 
  • I'd like a gibson sg with full pickguard in ebony or swap for my mint condition strat but cant get access to the classifieds because I've only posted 4 times
     Grrr
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516
    I slightly prefer the look of the big scratchplate, but with the small scratchplate you do at least have mounting rings so the pickups sit parallel with the strings....
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2158
    I'm a batwing scratchplate guy 
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    I’m not a fan of the fat headstock of the models from recent years. I had a nice 2005 Standard with a fat neck - kind of regret trading it now!
  • I'm deffo a small pickguard guy, hate that Batwing Pickguard. My Faves are the 2013 Natural Burst Std, 2014 Fireburst Std, 2018 Autumn Shade Std and White SG's look cool too.

Hate Cherry ones and Black ones.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4065
    I own a 2018 sg standard.  Plays sounds and looks awesome I'm really pleased with it.  In mojave desert burst. 
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4718
    edited October 2018
    Mine's a 2006 SG Standard in Heritage Cherry, humbuckers, and batwing, regular neck & no neck-dive - I love it.  I do prefer mounting rings though. 

photo 20180411_003739_zpsiyv6wng9jpg
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • HoofHoof Frets: 491
    Batwing but I've modified mine by fitting a pickup ring on the bridge pickup. It drove me potty that the pickup didn'tt sit parallel with the strings. Apparently Angus Young has started doing it now too. ;)
  • artiebearartiebear Frets: 810
    Voxman said:
    Mine's a 2006 SG Standard in Heritage Cherry, humbuckers, and batwing, regular neck & no neck-dive - I love it.  I do prefer mounting rings though. 

photo 20180411_003739_zpsiyv6wng9jpg
    I just used one of those (2006 ) on a track today. I am embarrassed to say that it has sat in the case for a long time. The whole recording was quite dense and needed something that poked through with a bit of mph, hence the idea to use the SG. Mine has a pretty full neck ( good thing in my view) and after pushing up the action and sorting the intonation sounded bloody marvellous. I'd forgotten just how much fun can be had from an SG.The producer and engineer loved what it did. It pained me greatly that I could have bought 8 of the buggers (at the price I paid ) for the price of the other 3 guitars I had on the session. I can't understand why the SG is somewhat overlooked just now ? BTW I love the batwing thing, but also get pissed off with the lack of rings, causing the back pick up to tip out of line. 
  • kt66kt66 Frets: 315
    edited October 2018
    Being a big fan of Robbie Krieger and George Harrison/Badfinger, I've always lusted over SGs, both used wiggle sticks/trems on their SGs, but only hard tails seem to be made these days, and only the vintage/expensive ones seem to have this.

The choice and possible specs is mind blowing with SGs. I like the sound of the P90s and the look 
    of the humbuckers. I might just chance a dip on an Epiphone 400, they look almost right to me.

Never been an AC/DC or Clapton fan.
    The Guild Polara is tempting me too
    Very confused as to what to buy!! 
    Only want trad Cherry, budget under a grand.