Fret files, which one to choose?

WolfetoneWolfetone Frets: 1479
edited October 2018 in Guitar
I have a Stew-Mac (Gurian) fret file which the burr that I use has worn out. A new burr is £12 but has a two week wait plus shipping. I have a job to do on my Jap Squier and don't want to wait that long. I also notice that the non-diamond jobbies can acuse fret chatter which is a nuisance.

I was looking around at some alternatives which actually turn out to be slightly cheaper but, more importantly, immediately available.

This is the one I have...

Three-in-one Fret File

I'm looking at this...

Any views? Which are people using??
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7022
    tFB Trader
    You can buy the spare burrs from Touchstone but you can get a double edge crowning file cheaper from Tonetech.
  • AdeyAdey Frets: 2254
    I've gota Hosco crowning file, but prefer to use a triangular file as it does a better, more controllable job.
  • I like using a triangular file myself, but I don’t do enough fretwork to where I’d need to significantly speed things up. 
  • TA22GTTA22GT Frets: 362
    Adey said:
    I've gota Hosco crowning file, but prefer to use a triangular file as it does a better, more controllable job.
    Same. I rounded the edges off slightly so it doesn't dig in.
  • As I'm working on frets most weeks, treated myself to a good quality three side fret file from Crimson. I like the idea of the rounded ones but not so much in practice. With the three sided, plus file rubbers, sand paper, micromesh and polish, I get the required result.
  • I have used several different crowning files but I currently use one like you already have. It seems to work fine as long as I keep the teeth clear by frequently wire brushing them during use. This cuts down the chatter and keeps the file cutting well.
  • AdeyAdey Frets: 2254
    If you've got more money than sense, try Stewmac Z-files.
  • rossirossi Frets: 1703
    I use a triangular Swiss file .Make sure its a proper Swiss file .If it doesnt make you eyes water at the price its no good .sme goes for paint brushes too
  • liamonliamon Frets: 103
    What is chatter?
  • WolfetoneWolfetone Frets: 1479
    It's when the file doesn't cut smoothly and jumps leaving an uneven surface. 
  • I've only used the stew Mac ones. They're fairly idiot proof
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3290
    edited October 2018 tFB Trader
    i use a diamond crowning file which is great as well as a 3 corner then it's paper wire wool to finish

I found the diamond file leaves a much better fret with less work to do afterwards, the hosco ones seem to leave alot of marks 
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2925
    tFB Trader

I got a bit of diamond flat file, about 4mm x 20mm, maybe 80-90mm long or so.Glued a wood handle on, rounded off the edges. Was cheap to do.
    Gives a lot of control, you can get up to that peak, creating the narrow pen line, being certain the top isn't being filed any more.

I've one of those cranked ones as well but only use it for starting round-over, didn't like it as a crowning tool. Prone to chatter and the burrs partially dictate your profile I felt. Whereas with a freehand file any size & profile is all fine.