Wound g string on hollow body guitar

What's Hot
StanleyAccringtonStanleyAccrington Frets: 264
edited October 2018 in Guitar
Good idea.......or not!    I can't recall having played any guitar that had a wound g string on it. Thinking of putting a new set on my hollow body and wondering whether to try a wound g.  I'm  predominantly a strummer and fingerpicker. Not much of a string bender. Is it worth the time to have guitar set up for a wound g string?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• jdgmjdgm Frets: 851
    Just try it.....very good for strummed chords, lots of oomph!
    No acoustic then? ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72255
    Good idea.......or not!    I can't recall having played any guitar that had a wound g string on it. Thinking of putting a new set on my hollow body and wondering whether to try a wound g.  I'm  predominantly a strummer and fingerpicker. Not much of a string bender. Is it worth the time to have guitar set up for a wound g string?
    Always.

A plain G is just wrong on a hollowbody.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14412
    If the bridge is carved from wood, the preset intonation profile will be cut to suit a wound G. 

If the guitar was built as an Acoustic Electric and its pickup is non-adjustable, it may also be calibrated for a wound G.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • DB1DB1 Frets: 5024
    edited October 2018
    Personal taste, I guess - I hate a wound third (apart from acoustic guitars). 'See what suits you' is probably the best course of action. I did have to have a new bridge made for a Godin 5th Avenue when changing from a roundwound, but no other issues on anything really. 
    Call me Dave.
  • Not for me. I buy a plain 0,22 as well as the 11 set. Although I'm thinking that is I get flatwounds next time, I might try the wound G, but tbh I use a plain G on acoustics as well.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself