Anyone else like percussive acoustic stuff?

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 28329
I found this very pleasing

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    Yep, I liked it.
  • vizviz Frets: 10689
    axisus said:
    I found this very pleasing

If you like that, try Declan Zapala and Gareth Pearson. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    There's a busker who plays at Charing Cross Station that plays that sort of style, but with a slide.

Worth checking him out. South African fella.
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3039
    Shall I post Passionflower again? :)

In all seriousness, I saw Jon at local festival I was working at and didn't expect much - all technique one-trick pony, etc. But I couldn't have been more wrong. He's on of the most musical, expressive musicians I've seen. And a lovely guy too. 

R. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I first got introduced to this acoustic style by Thomas Leeb at one of the IGF Summer Schools years back. Mike Dawes seems rather good, though I've only heard a limited amount of his playing. I've seen Andy McKee just once live, but would love to see him again.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Oh yes ...

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • joetelejoetele Frets: 950
    Eric Roche used to do a nice line in percussive acoustic (as well as some more Leo Kottke style flourishes). Saw him at a guitar show in Birmingham probably over 10 years ago now, and bought his CD. Sadly he died too soon but he was a really humble guy (he yelled "fuck off" at someone who called him a genius - "don't use that word lightly") who was an incredible player. 
    MUSIC: Pale Blurs
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28329
    joetele said:
    Eric Roche used to do a nice line in percussive acoustic (as well as some more Leo Kottke style flourishes). Saw him at a guitar show in Birmingham probably over 10 years ago now, and bought his CD. Sadly he died too soon but he was a really humble guy (he yelled "fuck off" at someone who called him a genius - "don't use that word lightly") who was an incredible player. 
    I saw him, probably at the same show. Got a signed CD! He was a lovely guy and an amazing player. I remember he started playing his superb Smells like teen spirit rendition and a massive crowd appeared out of nowhere surrounding him. Nobody could believe what they were hearing
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    edited October 2018
    I appreciate stuff like this, but I prefer music to musicians generally. All too often the 2 don't coincide. I remember Stanley Jordan tapping Eleanor Rigby on TV years ago - yeah wow Stan but somebody else wrote that. I guess it's like going to see a concert pianist attempt the "Rach. 4" or whatever.

So there's a hole in my appreciation for sure, because I would absolutely go to watch a classical musician interpreting a piece of music.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    axisus said:
    joetele said:
    I saw him, probably at the same show. Got a signed CD! He was a lovely guy and an amazing player. I remember he started playing his superb Smells like teen spirit rendition and a massive crowd appeared out of nowhere surrounding him. Nobody could believe what they were hearing
    Was it the show presented by an awful Ozzy Osbourne impersonator? Also featuring a guy from Ministry playing along to backing tracks? 
    joetele said:
    axisus said:
    joetele said:
    Was it the show presented by an awful Ozzy Osbourne impersonator? Also featuring a guy from Ministry playing along to backing tracks? 
    I don't recall those two things, but there was some good stuff. I chatted to Ron Thal who was on the vigier stand - back when no-one knew him. Also two very good live acts - Doyle Dykes doing an amazing acoustic set and Shawn Baxter playing his entertaining Jazz metal stuff. Michael Angelo Batio was  there looking like a cross between my grandma and a Spinal tap extra.
    Stanley Jordan tapping Eleanor Rigby on TV years ago - yeah wow Stan but somebody else wrote that. 
    That is a great piece of music! In all fairness it is nothing like the Beatles version, it is a 7 minute jazz workout. Not everyones thing admittedly!
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    edited October 2018
    axisus said:
    Stanley Jordan tapping Eleanor Rigby on TV years ago - yeah wow Stan but somebody else wrote that. 
    That is a great piece of music! In all fairness it is nothing like the Beatles version, it is a 7 minute jazz workout. Not everyones thing admittedly!
    True, true. It's much the same as Coltrane's My Favourite Things or Greensleeves I suppose. I'm just a cantankerous old git who doesn't appreciate the newer virtuosos. 
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
    axisus said:
    joetele said:
    axisus said:
    joetele said:
    I don't recall those two things, but there was some good stuff. I chatted to Ron Thal who was on the vigier stand - back when no-one knew him. Also two very good live acts - Doyle Dykes doing an amazing acoustic set and Shawn Baxter playing his entertaining Jazz metal stuff. Michael Angelo Batio was  there looking like a cross between my grandma and a Spinal tap extra.
    Ah, possibly not the same one, then. 
  • I find it sounds impressive for about 30 seconds and then I get bored of it.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12359
    I find it sounds impressive for about 30 seconds and then I get bored of it.

Yup same here. Bit like Kaki King, she’s immensely clever but I can’t listen to more than one of her tracks. 
    I find it sounds impressive for about 30 seconds and then I get bored of it.

Actually I can understand that sentiment. Although I do like this stuff a lot I couldn't listen to an album's worth in one go, and I much prefer to watch someone play than just hear it.
  • vizviz Frets: 10689
    I appreciate stuff like this, but I prefer music to musicians generally. All too often the 2 don't coincide. I remember Stanley Jordan tapping Eleanor Rigby on TV years ago - yeah wow Stan but somebody else wrote that. I guess it's like going to see a concert pianist attempt the "Rach. 4" or whatever.

So there's a hole in my appreciation for sure, because I would absolutely go to watch a classical musician interpreting a piece of music.
    Rach 4 is incredible :)
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • mli3mli3 Frets: 206
    Kaki King sounds a lot like this - give that a whirl..