A bracing query for acoustic builders

Greetings,
My ukulele build is progressing nicely (ish), but ive hit a bit of a snag and id like a bit of advice where to go next.
The issue is that the arch I put on the back (hornbeam, with 3 horizontal spruce braces) has returned to effectively flat now that i have started carving the braces. So far, i have tapered the ends and started to round off tge edges.
I wonder what might be the best way forward?

Is it likely to be a problem if i do nothing?
Should i selectively reduce the height in the central third of the braces to try and relieve tension?
Remove the braces completely and re-do? (Really not keen on doing this as there isnt much thickness in the back to play with, and time is of the essence (its a christmas gift))

Your thoughts are appreciated 
Adam

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3288
    tFB Trader
    It's along time ago since i made my acoustics but seem to remember putting the radius on the braces then gluing on, they're held in place in the radius dish with go bars, i know the back radius i used was different to the front

I'll have to go through my notes again, I've got to get making another acoustic maybe next year if i get time, i loved doing the braces and making the inside as good looking as the outside 
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1540
    Hi, 
    Thats pretty much the method i used, except no radius dish (as its done on the Baileys course and Cumpiano book).
    Radius on the braces then glued on. I dont have a go-bar deck so used Klemsia clamps and a flexible backing strip rather than a radiused dish.
    Im thinking i might just have to bite the bullet and re-do the braces as the back now has a concavity (about 1mm in the centre) where it should be convex.
    Cheers,
    Adam
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3288
    tFB Trader
    If you can get a radius dish it's much easier to lay the back on it and clamp the braces in position, also shaping braces on it gives it consistancy imo

I'm inclined to agree with you and just redo them, i know it's a pita but it'll only annoy you, it's only another days work to put it right
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1540

My main concern with re-doing the braces (the time aside) is how can I reduce the likelihood of it happening again? Taller, thinner braces perhaps? Being a uke, I don't want to too heavily brace and deaden the sound, and the hornbeam is fairly thin already so I don't want to run it through the sander again. Maybe a laminated brace with a very stiff/thin central portion?

For the next acoustic builds, I think I will make up some dishes - I have plenty of 25mm birch ply left over. I won't this year, as it would be another day of valuable free time!

Cheers,

Adam