Fender Super Reverb - now with pics

What's Hot
KylefKylef Frets: 1042
edited November 2018 in Amps
Have major GAS for one of these at the moment, and can pick one up for a not bad price. 

Any members here who gig one? It’s in a flight case so at least I can wheel it about, but it does look heavy!

Pros and cons?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• OssyrocksOssyrocks Frets: 1673
    I used to gig a pair! 

Pro’s, immense Fender tone, probably the best sounding Fender Reverb amp ever made. Four tens push a lot of air. Crank it and it will start to break up, but it will be loud at that point. 

Cons. Big and heavy.

If you are young, fit and strong, do it now, before you aren’t. I’m not anymore, but it was fun.

• HaychHaych Frets: 5628

I once owned a 65 Super Reverb reissue.  Absolutely incredible amp.  I'd love another but can't justify it.  I didn't find it overly big and heavy, to be honest.  It was an awkward size to move about but having owned a Boogie MKIV anything else was easier to lift by comparison.

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

• strat84strat84 Frets: 314
    I use mine at home, at practice and at pub gigs. Best blackface amp I've ever had. Quite heavy but I have 2 Celestion Golds and 2 Emi Legend 1058s in mine, stick some low watt alnico's in there and it's easily manageable!
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7336
    edited October 2018
    Mine is firmly planted in the lounge as furniture but I love how it lurks and hints that you know a thing or two about tone to the uninitiated who visit!

But it is a fantastic amp for home or stage as is so easy to dial a good comfortable tone from. Pedals add intergalactic goodness whatever.

Heavy but you can shuffle one-handed; it is the height that makes it awkward over distance. A two man job for gigs and in /out the car.

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Both of mine were flightcased, which whilst that sounds like a bad idea for bulk and weight, it did mostly stop me attempting to move them anywhere on my own. Once inside the venue, they were easy to roll around too. 
  • variplexivariplexi Frets: 108

Used to have a drip edge one with the original speakers. Sweet stuff. Worth ticking the SR box in your GAS quest. Not as heavy as it may seem. Something magical about 4x10s. I preferred the tremolo channel to the normal one (even if you don't use the tremolo). Bit brighter sounding and nicer for drive pedals. No obvious cons, but worth considering a silverface vs a modern RI (?)

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7336
    /\ is cos you get extra drive on the Tremolo chn by virtue of the additional 12ax7 Tremolo tube...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Thanks for the input folks. Funny, it’s teally hard to find a negative review of these amps. I’ve took the plunge, should be here tomorrow. The TNT driver isn’t going to be very chuffed if imagine. 
  • Great Amps, i had one at one time, i do not know how old your's is but if it is quite new give the speakers chance to break in made a big difference to mine.

Enjoy the super
  • Best amp ever made. Get it and don’t look back
  • clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
    Kylef said:
    Thanks for the input folks. Funny, it’s teally hard to find a negative review of these amps. I’ve took the plunge, should be here tomorrow. The TNT driver isn’t going to be very chuffed if imagine. 
    While you're waiting check out Pete Thorn's vid on a blackface Super Reverb, it sounds absolutely superb, just beautiful.  In fact I might have to go watch it again myself :)
    clarkefan said:
    Kylef said:
    While you're waiting check out Pete Thorn's vid on a blackface Super Reverb, it sounds absolutely superb, just beautiful.  In fact I might have to go watch it again myself :)
    Gonna have to watch that myself if I can find it - doubt it'll be hard.

Also, Derek Trucks used a Fender Super Reverb for years and he has an incredible tone.  He's switched over to some Italian boutique amp maker recently but in all honesty I can't tell the difference.

• JotaJota Frets: 464
    edited October 2018
    Haych said:
    clarkefan said:
    Kylef said:
    While you're waiting check out Pete Thorn's vid on a blackface Super Reverb, it sounds absolutely superb, just beautiful.  In fact I might have to go watch it again myself

Also, Derek Trucks used a Fender Super Reverb for years and he has an incredible tone.  He's switched over to some Italian boutique amp maker recently but in all honesty I can't tell the difference.
    Alessandro amps are not italian!
    You can't hear the difference cause they're essentially high-end Super Reverbs.
    Alessandro uses high-end parts and materials so the price is really, really high!
    Jota said:
    Haych said:
    clarkefan said:
    Kylef said:
    While you're waiting check out Pete Thorn's vid on a blackface Super Reverb, it sounds absolutely superb, just beautiful.  In fact I might have to go watch it again myself

Alessandro uses high-end parts and materials so the price is really, really high!
    Do excuse me. My mistake. 

• shaunmshaunm Frets: 1598
    Jota said:
    Haych said:
    clarkefan said:
    Kylef said:

i think I can’t hear the difference because Trucks could play through a any amp and sound the same - funking brilliant
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JotaJota Frets: 464
    Other two guys that use Super Reverbs and the neck pickup a lot are Marcus King and Dave Yoke. They go for the same kind of sound, one dirtier, the other cleaner but the Super Reverb works for both perfectly.

• JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1259
    Kylef said:
    Could be worse. Could be a Super Six... :-)
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
  • KylefKylef Frets: 1042
    So it’s arrived. Totally in love. Like a bigger, louder, more defined version of my Deluxe Reverb. That’s at bedroom level, it’s going with me to tonight’s gig for its first proper testing. It’s also a bit lighter than I expected, manageable weight wise. 

Only problem the Reverb isn’t working. If I turn it up full, I only get the faintest decay. The tremolo works fine. Any ideas what I should be looking for? The connections from the amp are fine that go straight the Reverb tank. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72305
    Sounds like the drive side is not working and the return is picking up the tank being shaken by the speakers. If the return side was dead you would get hum and no reverb when you turn it up full.

Check that the reverb drive valve (V3) is seated tightly and glowing properly. If it is, chances are you have a broken connection in the tank itself, at the input end. The wires are quite fragile and damage in shipping is not uncommon.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• shaunmshaunm Frets: 1598
    @Kylef I look forward to your gig report. These amps are on my want to buy list