Finding a good teacher

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• McTootMcToot Frets: 2042
    Interesting thread and I'm bumping it accordingly... @pmbomb ; interested to hear how you get/got on with the Skype avenue..

I've considered lessons off and on for years but have only had a couple and got little out of them (partly my fault, I accept). But now, having just bought a fabulous guitar, I'm minded to get off my arse and put a bit more effort in with view to expanding my repetoire and improving technique. 

I've been playing the best part of 35 years but am almost totally self taught and have really not developed as much as I ought to have done in that time.

I suppose I have a bit of talent (especially around the rhythm side of things) and a decent ear but am not one of those super gifted guys that just 'get it'. I'm also an idle bastard, which doesn't help. The guitar is primarily a chill-out tool and a gear-nerdery hobby .

I had never considered Skype lessons, but that does sound interesting. 

The time I learned the most in the shortest space of time was when I was about 18 and in a band with a guy more naturally gifted than I.  I'd love to go there again, but finding like-minded people with the same tastes and availability of time is damned hard, I'd guess. Plus there's the commitment of time away from the Mrs and mini McToots...

The forum jams in Woking and Huddersfield were also informative and energising too - I'd like to ride that wave. 

I've bookmarked this thread and will see how/if the learning discussion develops. 

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

My trading feedback  - I'm a good egg  ;) 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • pmbombpmbomb Frets: 1169
    @McToot will update if I do the Skype version. So far I went for a 2 hour f2f (it's a 40 min drive from here) and have another booked, will probably carry on every 2-3 weeks like that.

re lessons - a good teacher "knows where to tap". Personal anecdote - back in my skiing days I was doing an off-piste course and was struggling with "get all your weight on your downhill leg". As far as I knew, I was doing it, but it just wasn't working. The tutor watched me a bit then said "forget that - lift your uphill leg". I did that and it was an instant transformation of my skiing. Might have taken me months or years to find it myself.
  • The dollar and euro exchanges rates are quite good so if you are looking a lessons with a US or European teacher nows the time to book.  
  • How much do you good people think a lesson should cost? In English pounds please. Thanks.
  • vizviz Frets: 10681
    edited November 2018
    £40-80 for an hour
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    edited November 2018
    Going rate in London seems to be £30-35 per hour....whereas I pay my plumber £80 per hour. 
  • Paul7926Paul7926 Frets: 227
    I pay just under £30 living on the south cost. Worth every penny.
  • Between £30-£35 as well, cheaper tutors aren't as experienced and usually hold a main career with the tuition as a sideline thing.
  • BarnezyBarnezy Frets: 2176
    I’m not sure price is a gauge as to whether the tutor is good or not, especially in London. I think anyone can charge the upper rate of £35 and as most their students are beginners, most are none the wiser as to how good they are. I’ve just found a teacher in London who charges £25ph and from my one lesson so far, he seems very capable. 
  • Well the rate for me reflects how much they value themselves as a tutor and their work. If its just a tutor who has played for a bit but has no real idea how to teach properly and unlock learner's potential then they'd be cheaper I think. For someone who structures and plans lessons properly and are usually part of the MU or a registry of tutors expect to pay more usually. But yes in London you get people charging £40+.
  • I guessed around the £30-40 range as that seems to be what they are asking for up here in the north west. Some charge slightly less but not by much.
  • It's worth getting one lesson to see how you get on and whether you are compatible. If you are block booking a few will keep the cost down.
  • It's worth getting one lesson to see how you get on and whether you are compatible. If you are block booking a few will keep the cost down.
    Yeah most (I don't, personally) tutors will offer a free trial lesson or the first lesson free of charge to gauge whether you get on. I just offer a reduced one off lesson fee and thankfully most come back after. I did have a trial lesson on Tuesday however with a self-taught learner who I felt I didn't get on with though.