Is it bad...

What's Hot

Comments

• GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    Nitefly said:
    Currently trying to get to the £10k mark with a savings account. The other one I wanted to invest won't cover all the work that needs to be done (that I didn't know at the time)
    That thread is about saving for a place of your own.

Who's garage is potentially getting turned into a studio through the goodwill of strangers?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Gagaryn said:
    Nitefly said:
    Currently trying to get to the £10k mark with a savings account. The other one I wanted to invest won't cover all the work that needs to be done (that I didn't know at the time)

Who's garage is potentially getting turned into a studio through the goodwill of strangers?
    At what point did I say I AM DEFINITELY GOING TO DO IT? At what point did I suggest strangers MUST donate? Its merely an idea (and a bad one the more I think about it). I have to keep repeating myself in saying it would have been voluntary so if you chose not to donate then there's no problem with that. Its the one that chose to that would have the issue of not getting anything back.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28029
    I think we all understand that the donations weren't going to be via extortion or blackmail. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11745
    Sporky said:

I'm tired of having to pick locks to people's houses when I want to use their jam spaces.
    Why not use a bump key?

Or is that like me walking into a valve amp cultist meeting and saying "Hey - how about a Helix?"
    Sometimes a bump key, sometimes I just pretend I'm in that movie "The Purge"

I'm easy either way...
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    edited October 2018
    Gagaryn said:
    Nitefly said:

At what point did I say I AM DEFINITELY GOING TO DO IT? At what point did I suggest strangers MUST donate? Its merely an idea (and a bad one the more I think about it). I have to keep repeating myself in saying it would have been voluntary so if you chose not to donate then there's no problem with that. Its the one that chose to that would have the issue of not getting anything back.
    You didn't say anyone must donate. I'm not asking for clarity on whether these donations are voluntary or not because I understand what donation means.

I remain confused as to how anyone could voluntarily contribute to converting your garage if you are still saving for your own place. I assumed therefore that the contributions must be to convert someone else's garage, because not owning a garage is implicit in saving for your own place.

Unless of course you own a garage with an ancillary front room, in which case please accept my apologies for driving you to such a level of frustration that you were forced to resort to caps lock. 

I sympathise, I can only imagine how hard it is to cope when people won't just give you £15k without asking questions about what it is for.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • Gagaryn said:
    Gagaryn said:
    Nitefly said:

You didn't say anyone must donate. I'm not asking for clarity on whether these donations are voluntary or not because I understand what donation means.

I remain confused as to how anyone could voluntarily contribute to converting your garage if you are still saving for your own place. I assumed therefore that the contributions must be to convert someone else's garage, because not owning a garage is implicit in saving for your own place.

Unless of course you own a garage with an ancillary front room, in which case please accept my apologies for driving you to such a level of frustration that you were forced to resort to caps lock. 

I sympathise, I can only imagine how hard it is to cope when people won't just give you £15k without asking questions about what it is for.

Back then when I had the investment thread I wasn't considering the garage conversion. I actually had a friend who offered to do the brickwork BEFORE we discovered roof and rendering issues. 
    We didn't know how much the would take by a builder back then.

And when did I say I wanted £15k from people for the work? I said the work would cost over £15k and if I was to start a GFM it would be a voluntary donation towards it, not covering the total work. No one said it was hard. Was just throwing an idea out there.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24798
    Lestratcaster said:
    Back then when I had the investment thread I wasn't considering the garage conversion. I actually had a friend who offered to do the brickwork BEFORE we discovered roof and rendering issues. 

And when did I say I wanted £15k from people for the work? I said the work would cost over £15k and if I was to start a GFM it would be a voluntary donation towards it, not covering the total work. No one said it was hard. Was just throwing an idea out there.
    So you do have a house - which you own - with a garage then? The reason I ask, is in the ‘investment thread’ you were trying to save to buy a house. So have you now done this?
  • Lestratcaster said:

So you do have a house - which you own - with a garage then? The reason I ask, is in the ‘investment thread’ you were trying to save to buy a house. So have you now done this?
    Yes but the situation has changed since. Being self employed income fluctuates so its a bit up in the air a bit and I haven't touched the money so I did think I could put it towards a conversion til I found out the costs.
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    Sporky said:
    I think we all understand that the donations weren't going to be via extortion or blackmail. 
    where's the fun in that?
    play every note as if it were your first
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24798
    richardhomer said:
    Yes but the situation has changed since. Being self employed income fluctuates so its a bit up in the air a bit and I haven't touched the money so I did think I could put it towards a conversion til I found out the costs.
    So you’ve managed to buy a house since the ‘investment’ thread, without ‘touching the money’ - and managed to prove enough income to secure a mortgage, even though your income is highly variable? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomer said:
    So you’ve managed to buy a house since the ‘investment’ thread, without ‘touching the money’ - and managed to prove enough income to secure a mortgage, even though your income is highly variable? 
    No, when did I say that? I'm still at the house I was when I had the other thread.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited October 2018
    richardhomer said:
    No, when did I say that? I'm still at the house I was when I had the other thread.
    Which isn't yours? Or is it? In the investing thread you implied that was not your house as you were saving to get a place of your own, this is what is causing confusion. look below
    quarky said:
    Not sure what my best option is. 

Why, and how long until you need it? Those are the key questions I guess. A S&S ISA would be my vote as long as you don't need to touch it for 10/20 years (what happens if it drops 30% next year?). Otherwise, if you want it sooner than in 10 years (so you are more risk averse), you need to have a mixture, maybe bonds or something too. If you need to dip into it (or might), put a smaller amount aside separately in a standard savings account.

Personally, I just get my wife to spend it on hottubs, or stick it in an S&S ISA. If the markets tank next it doesn't matter because I don't need it for 20 years.
    Its for getting a place of my own in the (I'm hoping) in the next few years, so that's why I just want to stick it somewhere with good interest but on the odd occasion I need the money within 5 years I'll need to make a withdrawl. What's an S&S ISA? Stocks and Shares?

• Gagaryn said:
    richardhomer said:
    Which isn't yours? Or is it? In the investing thread you implied that was not your house as you were saving to get a place of your own, this is what is causing confusion. look below
    quarky said:
    Not sure what my best option is. 

Why, and how long until you need it? Those are the key questions I guess. A S&S ISA would be my vote as long as you don't need to touch it for 10/20 years (what happens if it drops 30% next year?). Otherwise, if you want it sooner than in 10 years (so you are more risk averse), you need to have a mixture, maybe bonds or something too. If you need to dip into it (or might), put a smaller amount aside separately in a standard savings account.

Personally, I just get my wife to spend it on hottubs, or stick it in an S&S ISA. If the markets tank next it doesn't matter because I don't need it for 20 years.
    Its for getting a place of my own in the (I'm hoping) in the next few years, so that's why I just want to stick it somewhere with good interest but on the odd occasion I need the money within 5 years I'll need to make a withdrawl. What's an S&S ISA? Stocks and Shares?

The house that I'm living in right now. I don't know where this assumption I had just bought a new house came from.
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1946
    edited October 2018
    You could just kneel down and let us all slap our dicks off yer fore'ead.

I don't think this is a serious thread, but if it isn't then I'd still suggest the above.

Youz all been taken for a 5 page ride, but here's the good bit at the end...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtpzJnLclrg
  • VeganicVeganic Frets: 673
    Have you tried Dragon's Den?

Sorry, I think everyone is being really mean in this thread and I think it would have been less painful if you had gone straight to the GFM option.

Or the apprentice? You are already getting the Claude-going-over here.
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12295
    Either @Lestratcaster ; is taking the piss or he's Devi Ever's sock puppet.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • schrodinger1612schrodinger1612 Frets: 390
    edited October 2018
    Every go fund me campaign needs a good story behind it, as opposed to just straight up asking for money “because it’s an ambition of mine”. You need to illicit emotion in people through tales of strife...tell em you’re a holocaust survivor or something
    Feedback Thread: https://goo.gl/bquaSD
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Do you own the house that you are currently living in?

• dbphotodbphoto Frets: 716
    This thread is surely a joke right?

Asking for donations to help convert a garage when it seems the house is not even yours, so therefore rented, or maybe you live with your parents?, is all kinds of crazy.

In fact contemplating spending £15k on someone else’s garage is it itself all kinds of crazy!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6264

Best thread in ages.

For those of us who have been on the various boards over the years, I reckon Lestratcaster is actually ClintLinguist.

I am waiting for boxcutter threats anytime soon!!

Superb.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom