6V6 Boogie

57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7332
This new Boogie Filmore actually sounds bloody decent. The 25w is the 6V6 and the 50 the 6L6 but to me, the 25w has the edge on tone.

A bit of a departure and way too expensive and how they equate $1599 for the combo to £2179 I don't know... Prob won't be around for long as nobody thinks Mesa /Boogie and 6V6...

http://www.mesaboogie.com/amplifiers/electric/fillmore-series/fillmore-25/index.html

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

Comments

• LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3816
    I had a quick go on one in Guitar Guitar the other week. Wasn't that impressed for the price, although I was only playing at low volume to be fair. Build quality didn't seem stellar either, which again, I would expect at that price. Underwhelmed, but would like to have a go again at proper volume.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Lebarque said:
    I had a quick go on one in Guitar Guitar the other week. Wasn't that impressed for the price, although I was only playing at low volume to be fair. Build quality didn't seem stellar either, which again, I would expect at that price. Underwhelmed, but would like to have a go again at proper volume.
    For my ears, the Rectoverb 25 is way better for cleans, and the range of gain sounds is far broader. I think I will probably go back to one after the gear purge and the finances are more settled.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72242
    57Deluxe said:

Prob won't be around for long as nobody thinks Mesa /Boogie and 6V6...
    I do. My favourite Mesa ever, after the Trem-o-verb, is the Blue Angel. Not only the best clean sound and the best reverb of any amp I've ever heard, but the 6V6-only mode had the most perfect light breakup at exactly the right volume for gigs. I still sometimes wish I hadn't sold it, although a good friend is looking after it :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• exocetexocet Frets: 1958
    ICBM said:
    57Deluxe said:

Prob won't be around for long as nobody thinks Mesa /Boogie and 6V6...
    I do. My favourite Mesa ever, after the Trem-o-verb, is the Blue Angel. Not only the best clean sound and the best reverb of any amp I've ever heard, but the 6V6-only mode had the most perfect light breakup at exactly the right volume for gigs. I still sometimes wish I hadn't sold it, although a good friend is looking after it :).
    When I owned a Lonestar Classic, I preferred it running 4 x 6V6. 

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72242
    exocet said:

When I owned a Lonestar Classic, I preferred it running 4 x 6V6.
    I tried them in the Trem-o-verb too, but it will only take them in 'Spongy' mode and I never liked that as much - it lost the big open clear sound it had with 6L6s.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• polotskapolotska Frets: 116
    edited October 2018
    I’m quite curious to hear the Fillmores (both the 50 and the 25) in person—the first two modes sound fantastic in most of the demos I’ve heard, and while I’ve noticed a grating quality to the high gain mode (especially on the 25 in this demo), I think I’d be quite happy to use just the first two modes.

I suspect I’d prefer the lower headroom of the 25, though I’m a bit concerned that the compact combo cab would make it pretty nasal. I suppose I could get the head…
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    Lebarque said:
    What build quality concerns did you have @Lebarque ?
    The Fillmore I owned for a couple of weeks seemed no less well thought out and built than any of the other Mesas and Boogies I’ve owned.
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3816
    edited October 2018
    simonk said:
    Lebarque said:
    What build quality concerns did you have @Lebarque ?
    The Fillmore I owned for a couple of weeks seemed no less well thought out and built than any of the other Mesas and Boogies I’ve owned.
    I'm not really qualified to comment, but superficially, it reminded me of the Fender 68 series. I dunno - a bit plastic feeling and mass-produced. Certainly didn't feel like a £2k boutique amp. I would expect Carr/LazyJ quality for that money. I''m not really that familiar with Boogies though.