Insomnia

What's Hot
...is a bitch, isn't it.
"Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12295
    Yep, can be, I work nights and just could not get to sleep yesterday, went to bed at 2pm tossed and turned until 7pm before giving up and getting out of bed, back out to work at 9pm, really fucked now..... hopefully sleep will come today, I'm going swimming with the kids when I get home. The more I consciously try to sleep the more stressed I get about it which means no sleep. Rubbish.

You asleep yet @Hattigol?
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2849
    I find that having a little scenario play out in my mind is a brilliant technique to get to sleep.

I'll think about going somewhere to meet someone and focus on the details of what I need and how I get there. I've yet to meet them before falling asleep! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    Single Malt. That'll help.
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11746
    There is a cool Feeder song called "Insomnia".

They suggest booze as well.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8188
    Awake since about 2.45 @jonnyburgo - eventually gave up and went to the office at 5. You know it's too early when the streetlights aren't even on...

May try the @Fuengi method tonight.
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • mli3mli3 Frets: 206
    "a soothing self massage" sometimes works for me :-)
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3396
    Look on the bright side, all who suffer from insomnia  - only 4 more sleeps til Christmas.
    This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.
    21reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    I've found Sainsbury's Sleep Aid to be about the best mild treatment. Wilko do a similar concoction, I think it's a mixture of hops, valerian root and passion flower.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • The ISObus specifications, or any SNMP documentation would be good cures. There is plenty of the latter online and it is as boring as it is incomprehensible.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    I might try browsing the PRS catalogue and see how I get on....

(Controversial?)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2234
    Hattigol said:I
    Awake since about 2.45 @jonnyburgo - eventually gave up and went to the office at 5. You know it's too early when the streetlights aren't even on...

I do this as well removed the massage comment that's someone else's job. 
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7764
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16083
    The minute you start stressing about not sleeping you are fucked.
    I purposely say to myself "I mustn't fall asleep " and concentrate on thinking about things I have to do or trying to remember what we did ,day by day ,on holiday etc etc I invent recipes too
    Next thing I know it's 7 am and the alarm has gone off .
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3582
    I have tinitus as well, so I have the radio or tv in the background at low volume with something half interesting and allow my mind to concentrate on that. Volume such that you can't quite catch everything. Do Not start a good movie, that will wake you up to get to the end and then you can't sleep.
    It's said that the blue light of TV screens is bad as it prevents really deep rest, you can get TVs that auto turn off after a pre determined time since the controls were last touched.
    Nothing is foolproof, alcohol seems to work to get to sleep but can lead to restlessness later in the sleep cycle (or getting up for a slash).
    Also I find going to bed as soon as I feel sleepy rather than waiting until 'bed time' whenever possible is a smart move.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72256

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• SporkySporky Frets: 28035
    ESBlonde said:
    alcohol seems to work to get to sleep but can lead to restlessness later in the sleep cycle 

I think it helps you drift off, but significantly impairs the quality of sleep you get and therefore how you feel in the morning.

I do have occasional difficulty with getting off to sleep (in general, Lady BMcH reports that I'm usually asleep just before my head touches the pillow), and for me it's usually that my brain won't shut up - it's determined to work through something.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72256
    Sporky said:

I do have occasional difficulty with getting off to sleep (in general, Lady BMcH reports that I'm usually asleep just before my head touches the pillow), and for me it's usually that my brain won't shut up - it's determined to work through something.
    For me when I was suffering from it a few years ago, becoming very interested in conspiracy theories and the debunking of them actually helped. I would stay up until 2-3am reading all manner of nonsense - and believe me, there is *all* manner of it :) - and then be able to sleep quite well. Even 4 hours is better than nothing if you're really struggling.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11289
    My sleep pattern has been horribly disturbed since surgery, not helped by having to (try to) sleep on my back, which I would never choose to do. It's got worse since I came off industrial quantities of paracetamol and codeine.

I can generally get off to sleep okay, but after waking for an early morning pee it's not unusual for it to take a couple of hours to get back to sleep. On the whole, though, I'm not unhappy at waking up to pee, it's better than the alternative.
    scrumhalf said:
    On the whole, though, I'm not unhappy at waking up to pee, it's better than the alternative.
    Waking up for a number two? 
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28035
    Waking up with an empty bladder but a dry bed and a strange feeling that you were removed from it* and it** from you?

* the bed
    ** the contents of your bladder
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."