Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Any love for the tv series "Rockschool" from the early 80s.

What's Hot
I thought it was as cool as at the time.....and I fancied Deirdre Cartwright.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    Obviously, best TV series ever. Deidre wrote ( and still does as far as I know) a lot of the rockschool grades stuff. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    They used to get good people as interviewees on prerecorded clips. I remember Gary Moore doing thirty seconds of Sultans Of Swing on his Les Paul and it sounded exactly like Knopfler. Why he was doing that however is lost in the ensuing mist of my memories.
    (i am, of course, expecting some TFB member to track this clip down on the net.)
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22742
    edited October 2018

I liked it and remember it well.  But the School was never Rock enough for me. 

I've just googled Deirdre Cartwright to see what she's up to - turns out her band played my local jazz venue in Streatham about six weeks ago.

• pmbombpmbomb Frets: 1169
    I remember it. There were episodes for all kinds of odd music and then, finally, metal and they all had a blast at last.
  • Deirdre Cartwright, Henry Thomas et al = all good musicians and nice people, seen a lot of them play live in their respective bands, and in some cases had lessons with them as well :)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • I remember an episode with Vince Clarke showing us midi/pc/keyboard... it was like space magic 
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1958
    In The early 90's I  lived in the flat above Geoff Nicolls the drummer in Rock School.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I watched it and dreamt my parents would get me a guitar.  They didnt.  
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11291
    Philly_Q said:

I thought so at the time.

WAsn't Henry Thomas also known as Henry "King Thumb" Thomas?
  • I missed this at the time, but I do remember watching "Rock Follies" which featured Deirdre Cartwright, if I remember correctly. 
    scrumhalf said:
    Philly_Q said:

I thought so at the time.

WAsn't Henry Thomas also known as Henry "King Thumb" Thomas?
    Yes, but whether or not that was anything to do with his bass playing, I have no idea.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4916
    She looked like Paul Young on a bad hair day.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9596
    It was perfect timing for me, just the right kind of information at the right stage of my development.

Also my first introduction to the great Wilko Johnson.
    I missed this at the time, but I do remember watching "Rock Follies" which featured Deirdre Cartwright, if I remember correctly. 

Wasn't that Julie Covington?

But Cartwright might have had a non-acting role as a backing band member or something, I don't remember it that well.

Philly_Q said:
    I missed this at the time, but I do remember watching "Rock Follies" which featured Deirdre Cartwright, if I remember correctly. 

But Cartwright might have had a non-acting role as a backing band member or something, I don't remember it that well.

Ooh and Rula Lenska! 

Philly_Q said:

Ooh and Rula Lenska! 

I associate Rula Lenska with two things:

1. Dennis Waterman.

2. A long-ago TV review of some awards programme where the reviewer described her as having "yards of flab" hanging over the back of her strapless dress.

• IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6898
    Looks great! Before my time but I’d watch it now.
    Previously known as stevebrum
    Philly_Q said:
    Philly_Q said:

Ooh and Rula Lenska! 

I associate Rula Lenska with two things:

1. Dennis Waterman.

2. A long-ago TV review of some awards programme where the reviewer described her as having "yards of flab" hanging over the back of her strapless dress.

She was a very foxy woman, although watching her on Celeb Big Brother crawling around with George Galloway rather ruined the memories. 

I was convinced she was in Life and Loves of a She Devil with hubby Dennis but that turns out to have been Patricia Hodge. 

Anyway, Rockschool was shown on PBS and you could buy the videos and there was a book I believe. So, I guess it was quite successful. 
  • peteripeteri Frets: 1283
    Watched all of these as someone just starting out at that time. 

Remember they clearly didn’t love all the styles (she clearly wasn’t a metal player ) but they did give it a good crack and they could certainly play. 

It was great how they explained the gear and also the quality of the musicians. Gary Moore showing his Les Paul, Strat and pedals (at clearly insane volumes), Ian Paice and Bootsy Collins talking about solos. 

Just wow!
  • exocet said:
    In The early 90's I  lived in the flat above Geoff Nicolls the drummer in Rock School.
    Looks like Geoff is still gigging.

http://www.climaxceilidhband.co.uk/bio.asp