Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

One speaker to rule them all?

What's Hot
HaychHaych Frets: 5609
To save a long story I am basically looking for one 12 speaker which will cover most tonal bases. 

If it helps its unlikely to need to do much in the way of modern high gain tones, and will probably spend most of its time working on Fender-ish cleans up to mid gain crunchy rhythms erring on the vintage side, although some hard rock might get a look in from time to time.

Is there a speaker that might fit the job description or am I hoping for too much.

TIA

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DodgeDodge Frets: 1435
    edited October 2018
    The only speaker that I can think of that people rate in some positive way in all your applications is the EVM12.

Im not a fan though, jack of all ttades but master.of none IMHO. Plus, they're crazy money.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72204
    Dodge said:
    The only speaker that I can think of that people rate in some positive way in all your applications is the EVM12.

Im not a fan though, jack of all ttades but master.of none IMHO. Plus, they're crazy money.
    And extremely heavy...

In the same ballpark for tone and weight (nearly), but a lot cheaper - Eminence Delta 12A.

A more general 'guitar sounding' speaker that will do most of what you want - Celestion G12K-100.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    I always found the Jensen Neo Jet Tornado a brilliant jack of all trades guitar speaker... certainly took everything that I threw at it.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31460
    I'm using a neo Creamback for most of that stuff, and occasionally a Classic Lead 80. 

I'm getting good cleans out of both, and whatever Celestion that's fitted to the HRD IV is pretty good for all that too. 
    simonk said:
    I always found the Jensen Neo Jet Tornado a brilliant jack of all trades guitar speaker... certainly took everything that I threw at it.
    I like that a lot with 'American'-type amps too, but I haven't tried it with more 'British' rock sounds so I wasn't sure whether to recommend it.

p90fool said:

I'm getting good cleans out of both, and whatever Celestion that's fitted to the HRD IV is pretty good for all that too. 
    It's an A-Type.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:
    simonk said:
    I like that a lot with 'American'-type amps too, but I haven't tried it with more 'British' rock sounds so I wasn't sure whether to recommend it.

I used it with a Jet City 22HV and an 18 watt Bluesbreaker type amp and it was great.
    The Mesa C90 is worth a mention too I reckon. Not sure how much DNA it actually shares with the Vintage 30 but it’s certainly capable.
    edited October 2018
    simonk said:
    The Mesa C90 is worth a mention too I reckon. Not sure how much DNA it actually shares with the Vintage 30 but it’s certainly capable.
    Not a lot - only the frame and magnet size. It's a derivative of the old G12-80, of which the modern standard derivative (but not the same as the Mesa - like the V30, it doesn't have a vented magnet whereas the G12-80 and the Mesa do) is the Classic Lead 80.

• HaychHaych Frets: 5609
    Dodge said:

Funny, but as I was writing I was thinking that the EVM12L was probably the one I'd recommend to myself.  But yeah, stupid money.  I once bought a used Boogie Theile cab with an EVM12L in it from Richtone music and then promptly sold it for twice the price on eBay :D

That's about the ONLY time I've ever made money on guitar gear.

ICBM said:
    simonk said:
    Not a lot - only the frame and magnet size. It's a derivative of the old G12-80, of which the modern standard derivative (but not the same as the Mesa - like the V30, it doesn't have a vented magnet whereas the G12-80 and the Mesa do) is the Classic Lead 80.
    I used to have a C90 in a Mesa Nomad I once owned.  There was a definite quality to that speaker that I liked, can't put my finger on what it was but while some people slated it I quite liked it.

• tone1tone1 Frets: 5140
    edited October 2018
    My Favourite has been the Tone Tubby....still got mine.... Just gorgeous  :)  

https://i.imgur.com/q1f08rc.jpg
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2234
    edited October 2018
    The tone tubby alnico is an awesome speaker. I replaced evm12ls with them. Sold the last one on here recently.
  • Cannabis Rex is neither particularly British or American voiced (perhaps a little more the latter). Many describe it as dark but I think if it as exceptionally even and easy to EQ. Very versatile in my experience. 
  • DarnWeightDarnWeight Frets: 2566
    Fane something-or-other?  The current Ascension line get a lot of good write-ups.  I've got an A90 alnico in a cab, and it's lovely...equally at home with my Vox and Fender-style amps.
    New fangled trading feedback link right here!
  • Celestion G12H-30. 

But JBL120 is the tone beast. Just a bit of a 1 trick pony. 

:+1: 
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30860
    JBL D120F.

All day long.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2891
    p90fool said:
    I'm using a neo Creamback for most of that stuff 
    How are you finding that one in general compared to traditional speakers, particularly for "classic rock" British type tones? Still thinking about swapping my Greenback out for one to lighten up my combo a bit. 
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5609
    slacker said:
    The tone tubby alnico is an awesome speaker. I replaced evm12ls with them. Sold the last one on here recently.
    Heard good things about them, but dang, the price!

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31460
    TTBZ said:
    p90fool said:
    I'm using a neo Creamback for most of that stuff 
    How are you finding that one in general compared to traditional speakers, particularly for "classic rock" British type tones? Still thinking about swapping my Greenback out for one to lighten up my combo a bit. 
    I have replaced well broken in UK-made Classic Lead 80 and G12-75Ts with them and barely noticed much difference at gigging volume right out of the box. 

I bought one purely for weight reasons and now have them in recording amps too, I'm definitely a convert. 
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3058
    Weber 12F150B - (Jensen style basket and magnet with British Kurt-Mueller cone). I stupidly sold a pair I'd had in a HRDeville. They do a "Blackface with a strong mids" thing very well indeed. Apparently great in Mesa Mark amps as well as Fenders. 

I'm currently using a pair of Anniversary G12H30s which I really like despite having a Heritage version kicking around. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1479
    I've got these in a couple of my Fender combo's and like the sound https://wgsusa.com/g12cs.  My other favourite is the Tone Tubby 40/40 ceramic http://https//www.tonetubby.com/all-products/40-40-ceramic/