Nintendo Switch - what game to buy?

What's Hot
CHrisP86CHrisP86 Frets: 360
edited October 2018 in Off Topic
Probably going to buy myself a switch today.

Need a game that will keep me entertained until Pokemon comes out in a few weeks.

Any suggestions? Probably needs to be easy to pick up and put down. Might not get long blocks of time to play anything.

Also, is the switch a good console? Struggled to get in to any sort of gaming since my son was born a couple of years ago. Hoping as a handheld this would give me the chance to play a bit more. 

Thanks
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 27572
    The Switch is excellent - we have an Xbone, a PS4 and a Steam PC too, and all are good.

For short bursts, Captain Toad is excellent. You can also (mostly) dip in and out if anything - it starts up very quickly.

Zelda is astoundingly good. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26749
    Zelda, Mario Odyssey, Mario Kart, Okami HD are all bona fide classics. There’s loads of indie type stuff that’s good too; Limbo, Inside, Stardew Valley, Golf Story, World of Goo, Hollow Knight...

also +1 to Captain Toad, though I have it on 3DS. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    How did I forget Golf Story? That was magnificent. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11413
    Mario Karts
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2403
    Yeah the Switch is great. I’ve had mine a few months now and barely scratched the surface of what’s available. Though I can say Zelda is absolutely amazing and Doom is satisfyingly good fun.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RedRabbitRedRabbit Frets: 483
    Mario Odyssey and Zelda are absolute musts for any switch owner in my opinion.
  • CHrisP86CHrisP86 Frets: 360
    Damn, it sounds like I need to get Zelda. 

How is it to ‘dip’ into? I read somewhere that it’s easy to lose where you are being such an expansive game. 
    I don't think you'll get very far in 5 minute bursts, but if you have the odd half-hour you could get on OK.

It is huge and it doesn't nanny you like (fer instance) Skyrim, but I didn't find it particularly hard to work out what I was meant to be doing in general.
    Yeah, I was thinking more 30mins to an hour.

Maybe this is bad parenting but are there any games that my 2 and half year old would be able to understand/play?
    Zelda is absolutely doable in 30-60 minute chunks. Assuming you remember to stop playing.

I think I mostly did it that way - 9-10 each evening.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16543
    edited October 2018

After 100 hours of gameplay over the last year I think xenoblade Chronicles 2 is up there as my favourite game.... although I only came to this realisation in the last 20 hours of play.   It was really annoying for the rest of it.

Quests are doable in small chunks as long as you don't hit the end of a chapter and a 20 minute cut scene

Mario Vs Rabbids is also often overlooked, but surprisingly good

Currently I have lost mine to the wife as Super Mario 3 comes with the online subscription

Sainsburys had the Switch plus Mario Kart for £299 so I went with that.  £20 for the game seemed a good deal.
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2356
    There's something for everyone.

Zelda is still a good enough reason by itself to buy the console. You can play it for 100 hours and still have lots to do. Mario Odyssey is excellent as well, and MarioKart does exactly what you'd expect it to do, and it great for multiplayer.

I was a bit disappointed with Donkey Kong, controls were terrible compared to the really sharp controls in Mario, but lots of people seem to love it.

Hollow Knight is essential IMO, really excellent Metroidvania game although very hard in places. Great story and characters and haunting art and soundtrack.
    If you're into retro Metroidvania games then Axiom Verge is worth a look too.
    The Switch is also a great way to play The Elder Scrolls: Skyrim if you've not played it up until now.

If you're into Roguelikes/Roguelites then there's the Binding of Isaac and Enter the Gungeon, and Super Meat Boy.

Dead Cells (uses procedurally generated levels and permadeath although you keep some items/progress) is good too, although I'm a bit rubbish at it and have yet to beat the final boss.

For something completely different, Celeste (a game about climbing a mountain) and A Night in the Woods (really more of an interactive story but with some platforming and Guitar Hero elements) are both brilliant.

Golf story is also great, and very funny in places, and Owlboy is very enjoyable (though a little short) too.

Doom is on my "to get" list but it seems to be out of stock everywhere. Wolfenstein II is also meant to be decent.

I tried a demo of Captain Toad but it didn't grab me enough to spend £30 on it. It's quite cutesy and kids should love it though.

Mario + Rabbids is probably my next physical game, expectations were low but it's meant to actually be very good (in many top 10 lists)

Basically it doesn't matter what you like, there will be a game for you. Apart from the 3 Nintendo essentials (Zelda, Mario and MarioKart), the indie games have it for me at the moment.

Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
    Mario Kart is great.  Had forgotten how much fun it was and how tricky it actually is to get round the courses!

The graphics look great as well.

I’m already feeling like I need to get Zelda...