Pedalbooard looper or separate pedalboard?

What's Hot
lincolnbluelincolnblue Frets: 294
At the moment I have one pedal board which I use for both electric and acoustic. I've been toying with the idea of having a separate acoustic board, but I got thinking whether it would be better/cheaper to have some kind of looper so that I can isolate 'acoustic' pedals when I'm playing electric and vise versa. 

What are the benefits? What looper would be suitable? There are only a couple of pedals I don't use with each so I don't need a full looper like the GigRig
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Any recommendations?
  • preston61 said:
    Seems a good price - just don't think I have space for it. Really wonder if I just need a smaller looper as I just want to eliminate a few pedals
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5359
    Obvious questions would be:

a) how many loops do you need in order to divide the board the way you want, given the desired pedal order?
    e.g. can you basically have three groups:  always included; electric only; acoustic only or are they scattered throughout the chain?

b) what are you hoping to gain by introducing a looper and thus bypassing certain pedals?  Reduction in signal path, or ... what?  What will it give you over simply not engaging the pedals that you don't need to use?

• Snags said:
    Obvious questions would be:

a) how many loops do you need in order to divide the board the way you want, given the desired pedal order?
    e.g. can you basically have three groups:  always included; electric only; acoustic only or are they scattered throughout the chain?

b) what are you hoping to gain by introducing a looper and thus bypassing certain pedals?  Reduction in signal path, or ... what?  What will it give you over simply not engaging the pedals that you don't need to use?

I'm just trying to reduce the number of pedals in the chain. I could probably do with three loops
    Might be worth looking at something like the JoYo as an inexpensive test bed?  Product page here

I've got the PXL Pro 8, and it's agricultural but perfectly functional.
  • Thanks. That used Bright onion one looks ace for the money...just would need a bigger board!!
    Yeah, the JoYo is physically smaller at just 4 loops.  Getting the 8 loop one forced me onto a bigger board - I could fit all my pedals on a Pedaltrain Classic Jr, but not the flipping looper :)
  • I have a 2 loop Bright Onion looper for sale if it’s of any interest.

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/140161/fs-dod-arion-ehx-danelectro-more#latest
  • Any suggestions on similar loopers to the Gig rig quartermaster 8?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72255
    lincolnblue said:

I'm just trying to reduce the number of pedals in the chain.
    If the unused ones are true bypass then it won’t make any difference, and if they’re Boss-type it will only affect the level slightly. It’s only if they’re half-arsed mechanical bypass that it will really matter.

You could possibly improve reliability and cure any bypass issues with a Boss LS-2 though. Two independent loops each with its own level control - one loop for acoustic, one for electric, and the ‘common’ ones after it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom