Microsoft certification

What's Hot
FosterFoster Frets: 1100
Has anyone here done the MOS things before? Are they worth doing, does anyone care if you have it on your CV or not?

I'm getting more and more into Excel and VBA but i'm not really "learning" by browsing forums and robbing bits of formula/code. I really want to start getting into Access too but i'm finding the learning curve rather steep (it's not at all what i'm used to).

I've looked at getting proper training and certificates before but I've been put off as i'm unsure if you actually learn how to use the programs or just learn how to pass the exams
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I did mine years ago when it was called MOUS, while in middle school. Reached expert level on a couple of programs (16 years ago). I remember learning a lot, the tests being hard and the credentials being valuable. I would like to do it again in the near future.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27588
    I did MOUS but that must have been twenty years ago, and it wasn't difficult at all. No VBA, just intermediate use of Excel, Word and Powerpoint. I think that probably demonstrated that I had at least a vague idea of what Excel was for, but I'm not sure it really improved my CV.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3396
    I’ve got a fair few and it used to mean something to recruiters, but these days they don’t mean as much. Depends on experience.
    This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.
  • quarkyquarky Frets: 2777
    edited October 2018
    I did my first MCSE back when Windows NT 3.1 was out. They are good, because:
    1) They can encourage you to learn something new
    2) When you put them on your CV, recruiters pick them up via word-search.

So if you want to get into something *new* that you might not really do a lot of in your current role, get a cert, or pass an exam, and at least it is there!

Check out http://edx.org too. It is free, but if you want the certificate, it is $99. Could well be worth doing though.

• I got a CNE in 1996 and an MSCE in 2001. I think they've probably expired now though.
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3049
    It's even better if someone else pays for it :)
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4896
    Well, the certification bandwagon is certainly a bit of a moneyspinner; I've generally viewed them as somebody who hasn't got experience trying to show they have or someone doing trainspotting.

If you do them yourself, you could find the costs add up and you'll be on a hamster-wheel of keeping them up-to-date.

OTOH, if you are trying to break in to a particular skilled area, then they may help open that door.

Udemy do online training and always have some sort of offer going.
  • I did the MOS certificates in Word, Excel, etc. a few years ago.  (We were a testing centre; we'd purchased a bunch of exams which were due to expire so it didn't cost me anything.)

The tests were online jobs; all you really needed to know was where to find a particular bit of functionality, plug the right figures into the right boxes, and so on.  In terms of demonstrating the ability to design a spreadsheet for real-world stuff, they didn't really mean much, IMO.
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

• FosterFoster Frets: 1100
    Thanks for the responses! I think you've pretty much summed up what my thoughts were - that they're a money pit (having to redo them) whilst not showing any employer that you're "skilled" (a bit like the pro tools 101 etc certificates).

I'm just of the opinion that I rather enjoy my job, as stressful as it is, and I feel it's something I could get better at and continue doing for some years. I've no plans to leave my job (again) but i'd like to have some security.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27588
    Just a thought - a demonstrable track record of expertise is probably what you're after? Answering queries on Stack Overflow might produce that.

Mebbe. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • quarkyquarky Frets: 2777
    Foster said:
    Thanks for the responses! I think you've pretty much summed up what my thoughts were - that they're a money pit (having to redo them) whilst not showing any employer that you're "skilled" (a bit like the pro tools 101 etc certificates).

I'm just of the opinion that I rather enjoy my job, as stressful as it is, and I feel it's something I could get better at and continue doing for some years. I've no plans to leave my job (again) but i'd like to have some security.

They don't have to be a money pit at all. My AWS courses cost less than £100 from memory (it was a special offer) and that is lifetime access to continually udpated content. The exams are about £200 each, but any company should pay for either the training, and/or the exams. If not, it is a tiny investment to make in yourself. Pluralsight covers loads, and is $299/year for a personal licence. I've used mine for 103 hours over the past twelve months, so that is pretty good value.

The worst is probably VMware. You can pass the exam, but not get the qualification because you have not attended the right course (which is expensvie). But, if you upgrade every two years and don't let it lapse, you don't need to pay for the course again...

But enjoyment is the key. Just tell yourself that you are doing it to increase your knowledge and skills, not as a be-all-and-end-all, and you might enjoy it more.  Look at it as a challenge rather than a chore. That is my view anyway!

• If you're using these applications in your day-to-day job, and want a qualification, you could think about an NVQ.
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb