IR's Noob Question

I'm making the transition to record with a reactive load box and IR's. I just had a thought that I need to clarify:

If I record with IR's and send the track off to get mixed, does the engineer need the same plugins or does the IR info get 'recorded' on my track and then arrive included with the audio information.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• andy_kandy_k Frets: 818
    it depends how you record, if you are getting your sound 'in the box', you will probably be recording a DI guitar with plugins on the channel, in this case you should bounce down a stem file of the track.
    If you are achieving your sound going in, the recorded track should be the sound you want, 
    Either way, you want to be sending a mixer the tracks the way you want them to sound, his job is to balance levels and mix, but these days the lines are very blurred, and mixing can be very creative with the sounds you give them. A good engineer will have his own chain of plugs that he uses to get good results.
    If you are using IR's , I suspect you could be using the first method, unless you doing some routing, so check you have got the sound you want by bypassing any plugins on your track, if you find you lose your sound, you'll need to create a stem, or bounce of that track.

• randersonranderson Frets: 187
    andy_k said:
    it depends how you record, if you are getting your sound 'in the box', you will probably be recording a DI guitar with plugins on the channel, in this case you should bounce down a stem file of the track.
    If you are achieving your sound going in, the recorded track should be the sound you want, 
    Either way, you want to be sending a mixer the tracks the way you want them to sound, his job is to balance levels and mix, but these days the lines are very blurred, and mixing can be very creative with the sounds you give them. A good engineer will have his own chain of plugs that he uses to get good results.
    If you are using IR's , I suspect you could be using the first method, unless you doing some routing, so check you have got the sound you want by bypassing any plugins on your track, if you find you lose your sound, you'll need to create a stem, or bounce of that track.

Brilliant many thanks for that. I'm recording from an amp into a reactive load box into my DAW, so I suppose that is the second option?
  • andy_kandy_k Frets: 818
    correct, but if you add any FX on the track , I would bounce that out as a separate track for the mix, its your sound, better to give the mixer audio tracks of anything done with plugins, DI tracks are a bonus