Musical mnemonics

What's Hot
AlnmouthAlnmouth Frets: 69
A few years ago I had a go at learning to play the mandolin.  I didn't get very far with it, but the upside was that I did learn quite a bit of theory along the way.  In order to keep it in my memory, I came up with some mnemonics.

So let's have some fun.  I will type some mnemonics below, and let's see who can be the first to decipher them.  I will start with the easiest.

By 'eck - no sharps.

Take That sound terrible; they totally suck.  (Or if you prefer not to be brutal - Take That sound terrific; they totally sell.)

Take some time to savour the taste.

The times, she says, three times.

The same three sisters stay three semesters.

I only came up with the last one today, and it is pretty hard.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Comments

• ArchtopDaveArchtopDave Frets: 466
    edited October 25
    2nd one : Tone, Tone, Semitone, Tone, Tone, Tone, Semitone. = Intervals of the Major Scale.

The others look like lists of intervals as well. If the last one means 3 intervals of 3 semitones, then that would fit a Dim7 Chord.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • vizviz Frets: 5093
    edited October 25
    Alnmouth said:
    A few years ago I had a go at learning to play the mandolin.  I didn't get very far with it, but the upside was that I did learn quite a bit of theory along the way.  In order to keep it in my memory, I came up with some mnemonics.

So let's have some fun.  I will type some mnemonics below, and let's see who can be the first to decipher them.  I will start with the easiest.

By 'eck - no sharps.

Take That sound terrible; they totally suck.  (Or if you prefer not to be brutal - Take That sound terrific; they totally sell.)

Take some time to savour the taste.

The times, she says, three times.

The same three sisters stay three semesters.

I only came up with the last one today, and it is pretty hard.

2nd one : Tone, Tone, Semitone, Tone, Tone, Tone, Semitone. = Intervals of the Major Scale.

Then natural minor. The last two aren’t full scales. I think the last one is supposed to be the symmetrical whole/half scale, or maybe the half-diminished. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • AlnmouthAlnmouth Frets: 69
    The first one tells us that the notes B sharp and E sharp do not exist.

The second is the major scale.  Every word beginning with S indicates a semitone, and every word beginning with T indicates two semitones.

The third is a natural minor.

The third is a blues scale.  The number three indicates three semitones.

The last one is an Egyptian or Arabic scale.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 19125
    edited October 26
    Alnmouth said:

Er, what is the 7th note in C# Major?
    or F# major?
    I am the juice of four limes.
    Trading Feedback

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
    edited October 26
    Alnmouth said:

The second is the major scale.  Every word beginning with S indicates a semitone, and every word beginning with T indicates two semitones.

The third is a natural minor.

The third is a blues scale.  The number three indicates three semitones.

The last one is an Egyptian or Arabic scale.
    Ah, I didn’t think of the significance of the word three. You mean THREE times she says, three times, right?

Obviously B# and E# do exist, as do Cb and Fb (though we know what you mean - they don’t exist as black notes on the piano). So for the sharps and flats, I think a huge step in theory is to commit the entire circle of fifths to memory and really understand how it works and what it is. I came up with rather a neat way of remembering it, and through extension, the sharps and flats (other than using the awesome “father charles” / “battle ends” mnemonics), like this:

It starts with C (C for “circle” )

then you imagine plucking a 5 string bass from top to bottom: G D A E B

then you imagine detuning by a semitone and repeating: Gb Db Ab Eb Bb

finally it finishes with F (F for “fifths”!!!)

(yes, the Gb is also called F# but that spoils my method!)
  • Elmer Fudd; Before Christ. One fret apart on a fretboard, while the other notes are two frets apart.
    “Supposing a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?' 'Supposing it didn't,' said Pooh after careful thought. Piglet was comforted by this.”
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
    octatonic said:
    Alnmouth said:

or F# major?
    @octatonic is quite right. I guess the original intent was a way to remember that there is no note on the fretboard between B/C and E/F. In terms of music theory both notes not only exist, but you can also have double sharps and double flats. Treble sharps and flats are theoretically feasible, though I have not, as far as I can remember, come across any as yet.

edited October 26
    octatonic said:
    Alnmouth said:

or F# major?
    @octatonic is quite right. I guess the original intent was a way to remember that there is no note on the fretboard between B/C and E/F. In terms of music theory both notes not only exist, but you can also have double sharps and double flats. Treble sharps and flats are theoretically feasible, though I have not, as far as I can remember, come across any as yet.

They exist if you were to create a sharps and flats system for the melodic minor scale for certain modes and keys (like the C### in F# Lydian Augmented!) But otherwise, diatonically they can’t because they’d need a double sharp key as the tonic, which would always be renamed as the actual note. Even if you called C major B# major it’d only have B# C## D## E# F## G## A## B#. 
    edited October 26
    Slightly off-topic but here’s a C### using a modified sharps/flats system I created in order to write music for my customised melodic minor keyboard invention

Obviously this keyboard requires what we hear as F being relegated to G#, and the whole system is a silly bit of nonsense!

https://youtu.be/uGzF4gA-fGs

Sorry for going off track
    Thank you to everyone who pointed out the flaw in my first mnemonic.  I was hoping that people would take the hint that I was not delving too deeply into theory on this one, but instead observing where no black keys exist.
    Any composer who gave me a score in B# would get a swift kick in the nads.
    Trading Feedback

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
    edited October 26
    octatonic said:
    I assume A7♯9 isn't welcome chez @octatonic . Mr.Hendrix would be saddened.

• Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9301
    Guitar strings 6 -> 1: Elephants And Donkeys Grow Big Ears
    Lines on treble clef lowest->highest: Every Gay Boy Doesn't F*ck
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
    Every good boy deserves favour has been considerably updated since I were a lad. 
    viz said:
    Every good boy deserves favour has been considerably updated since I were a lad. 
    Was football or food when I were a lad. But IMO the rude one sticks better ...

I once told a lad that f stood for forte, commonly undestood to be loud (but probably more accurately strong). I said can you suggest what ff might mean? He paused for a moment and then said "Effin loud?". I've not forgotten that, he was brilliant!
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
  • Bass clef:

Great Bassists Do Fuck All
    My band: Hedge Gods
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
    I think of bass clef as G9 on the lines and A-7 on the spaces.

The treble clef is Fmaj7 on the spaces and E-7-9 on the lines.
    I seem to remember that I got the idea of inventing mnemonics from a video on YouTube which said that mandolins are tuned: Great Danes are enormous.
    octatonic said:
    I assume A7♯9 isn't welcome chez @octatonic . Mr.Hendrix would be saddened.

No that’s fine, but presenting a score in the key of B# is just being difficult fir the sake of it.
    Trading Feedback