Wampler Faux Tape Echo

menamestommenamestom Frets: 4689
Anybody tried one? I'm looking at the new one with tempo tempo. In my search for a quality delay with tap tempo in a small form factor I'm looking at the El cap, Diamond memory lane junior, Tech 21 Boost DLA and also the wampler. Oh and the trex Reptile 2. Other option would be DIY but i want tap tempo and there are limited options, guitarpcb have one but they are out of stock, but also, I need probably 800ms minimum which rules that one out. Has anybody tried any of these? The el cap is nice, I've tried that but the wampler is cheaper so keen to see if anybody has tried one.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    It's nice. If you want the most tape-like sound, it's not very accurate though. It's a dark-voiced digital delay with modulation, and I don't think it particularly sounds like tape. If you just want a nice sounding delay that has tap, it's decent. I don't think Wampler's delays and verbs are as good as their drives and comps, personally.

Is a DD-20 too big for you, size wise?

Alternatively, look into the Way Huge Supa Puss - analog, sounds great, has tap tempo, subdivision, warble controls, etc. 900ms max time. Great pedal.
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4689
    JDE said:
    It's nice. If you want the most tape-like sound, it's not very accurate though. It's a dark-voiced digital delay with modulation, and I don't think it particularly sounds like tape. If you just want a nice sounding delay that has tap, it's decent. I don't think Wampler's delays and verbs are as good as their drives and comps, personally.

Is a DD-20 too big for you, size wise?

Alternatively, look into the Way Huge Supa Puss - analog, sounds great, has tap tempo, subdivision, warble controls, etc. 900ms max time. Great pedal.
    The DD-20 would be okay size wise, but I'm not sure of the bypass, I've heard they are not great and also I have a Zoom G3 and I'm not sure the DD-20 would improve on that.  (The G3 delays are very good, to be fair).

I tried the Supa Puss, it was a bit fiddly but it did sound good.  Might try it again. 

I think one of the main things, aside from smallish form factor and interesting repeats, is something that is easy to dial in and has controls that react well. I always find multi's, like the G3 and M5 I had previously, sound good but just don't react like a good analog unit.

I'm not fussed if the delay sounds BBD, or Tape, as long as it has some interesting gritty repeats if required.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17589
    tFB Trader
    I'm hopefully getting an Ibanez Echo Shifter for my birthday. 

I think that does everything you could want and is pretty well priced. 
    I'm hopefully getting an Ibanez Echo Shifter for my birthday. 

I think that does everything you could want and is pretty well priced. 

Yeah I did look at those but something about them was a show stopper, think it could be the tails? I like the delay to carry on after i switch delays off, not sure if they do that. But if they do I'll take a look....
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17589
    tFB Trader
    I don't think think they do, but that's pretty common with analog pedals. 
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    I used to use an old RE201tape unit until I got tired of the hassle. I just use a Flashback X4 now and love the versatility of the tone prints - the looper is handy too. That is switchable so it can do tails I'm pretty sure.
  • JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    edited April 2014
    I know what you mean. The Wampler's not a "good analog unit" but I'm just being pedantic. You may find it ultimately a bit pedestrian but very easy to use.
    I mention the DD20 because I think the digital sounds are great, the analog sim is surprisingly warm (but not gritty), the tap works great, the backwards delay is great - I think it's a superb do-it-all and can be had for relatively low prices used.

Edited to add - if ease of use is a big seller, forget the El Cap, in my opinion.
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734
    The Diamond Memory Lane is, in our opinion, one of the best delay pedal available and better than the Wampler.
    jpfamps;213103" said:
    The Diamond Memory Lane is, in our opinion, one of the best delay pedal available and better than the Wampler.
    Is that the Memory Lane Junior? Or the big analog version you mean?
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734
    jpfamps;213103" said:
    Is that the Memory Lane Junior? Or the big analog version you mean?
    Sorry I meant the Junior.

I've not had a go on the Memory Lane.