Guitar Amp Myths Part 1...

What's Hot
RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13929
All I learned from this is that some valve amps can sound as shit as digital amps...

https://youtu.be/JKpHChwsTUs

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2569
    tFB Trader
    All I learned from this is that some valve amps can sound as shit as digital amps...

They can sound much worse actually! but we don't talk about those ones
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • God...that was yawn inducing! Gave up after 15 minutes. 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • DontgiveupyourdayjobDontgiveupyourdayjob Frets: 3753
    edited October 2018
    A good valve amp will sound good.

A good SS amp will sound good.

A good modelling amp will sound good.

A bad valve amp will sound bad.

A bad SS amp will sound bad

A bad modelling amp will sound bad.

You should buy what you think sounds best, regards of what its innards consist of.

Here endeth the lesson. There you go, saved you 30mins of your day by not watching that video. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1589

I know you will all think I am biased but..that mixer was clipping. I have stood in front of both those amps (or variations of them) during the analogue/digital A/B testing and they sounded WAY better than that. They should also have been several dBs louder than the dialogue.

Yes, of course, pretty boring if you already know it.

Dave.

• JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1254
    I’m amazed they’d do an A/B comparison using two such clearly different tones, everybody’s going to pick out which one they personally prefer and then label it according to the particular axe they’re looking to grind at the time.

I’m also surprised that either party was prepared to Go There on the valve/hybrid thing after HTgate. Not that the points being made on the use of solid-state components aren’t entirely valid, but the original furore got so hyperbolic and vituperative that you wouldn’t think they’d want to remind people or run the risk of it blowing up again... :-)

Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
  • I enjoyed the video. So ner!

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7329
    what everyone seems to ignore/forget when it comes to determining a good amp is that you actually 'feel' the amp even moreso than the actual guitar! It is the precise dynamics and harmonics that cannot be captured digitally or communicated over an internet demo...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

What I picked up was the people who run down Blackstar for having solid state stuff going on in a valve amp that others don't is much akin to having a load of solid state OD/distortion pedals in front of a.valve amp.

I'm not sure I can really tell the difference any way. Compression, clipping and OD all have a bearing and few users and most listeners probably care.
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8481
    57Deluxe said:
    what everyone seems to ignore/forget when it comes to determining a good amp is that you actually 'feel' the amp even moreso than the actual guitar! It is the precise dynamics and harmonics that cannot be captured digitally or communicated over an internet demo...
    I dunno. I think if you record an amp well, you can absolutely capture exactly what it sounds like - harmonics, dynamics and all. What you can't capture is what the player actually did on the guitar - only the resulting sound out the speaker. It's the difference between what the player plays and what the player hears that, imo, gives an amp its feel. By the very nature of that, a recording of an amp will never capture what it *feels* like to play through.