6 x 9 inch elliptical speaker?

DB1DB1 Frets: 5024
edited October 2018 in Amps
I wonder if anyone can help with this one? I sold the amp below (a Vintage 47 Mighty Mini) today and delivered it - a 150 mile round trip - to a very happy buyer (at the time), only to be met with a text when I got back saying that there was a 'farty' noise from the speaker when the buyer had tried it again afterwards with some low notes. He used another speaker and all was fine, so the suspicion is that the speaker might be buggered (a technical term).

Obviously I've refunded him and will pick the amp up when I'm next in the area, but does anyone know of, or can recommend an 6 x 9 inch elliptical speaker that I can source as a replacement? Thanks in advance! 

Call me Dave.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3137
    tFB Trader
    Why not just buy a replacement from V47? http://www.vintage47amps.com/V47-Speakers/

*I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

• DB1DB1 Frets: 5024
    Thanks, yes I'd looked at that, but just wondered if there was anything that might be more readily available. If not, I will contact V47. Cheers
    Call me Dave.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6386
    Haven't seen an elliptical speaker for 30 yrs !
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72258
    edited October 2018
    I have a few in the loft, can’t remember what size they are but I’ll check tomorrow!

For bonus points, does anyone know why they were invented? ;)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1540
    Is it either because the sound is more 'directional', or to fit in a specific cabinet?
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1257
    ICBM said:
    I have a few in the loft, can’t remember what size they are but I’ll check tomorrow!

For bonus points, does anyone know why they were invented? ;)
    I’ve always assumed it was to fit as much speaker as possible into a modestly sized tabletop radio or the narrow space available alongside/underneath the CRT and chassis in old-fashioned TV...

Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
  • vizviz Frets: 10682
    I always think of them as car speakers fot the parcel shelf. I’ve had loads - they can be very good (in the car)
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    JayGee said:

I’ve always assumed it was to fit as much speaker as possible into a modestly sized tabletop radio or the narrow space available alongside/underneath the CRT and chassis in old-fashioned TV...
    Close .

It’s because it reduces cone resonance, so you get a flatter response from a cheap speaker with a lightweight paper cone. Basically about saving money as well as space.

Using the idea to fit them into TVs came later, and eventually there were some really extreme ones... I had one that was about 9”x1.5” out of an old TV I scrapped.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

I do indeed have a 6"x9" speaker. More accurately, the frame is 162mm x 232mm, and the mounting holes are 118mm x 168mm, with +/-2mm of 'wiggle room' in a 45º direction.

It's a Pyle, 16-ohm, ceramic magnet, and from the magnet weight and the size of the voice coil I would make a guess at about 10W to maybe 15W - it's fairly chunky and modern compared to most vintage ellipticals. I don't know exactly how old it is but I would guess 1970s from the appearance - if so the date code makes it from 1978, but I wouldn't rule out 1968.

Is any of that any use? I'm guessing the 16-ohm impedance may be a problem since most Tweed-style amps are 8-ohm.

• DB1DB1 Frets: 5024
    Thanks very much for that @ICBM - I'll get it back first and check that it isn't something else. It's a pain though, and I hate the thought of a buyer thinking that I'd tried to offload something that wasn't right. Thinking about it though, the old ES-150 with the CC pickup made a bit of a strange noise through it, but I thought that it was the pickup that might need attention. I also think it was a CC pickup (but on a Tele) that the buyer was trying it with. Probably coincidence, but I must check it out. My knowledge is zero, so will take it to a local amp genius for diagnosis. 

Call me Dave.