Which Audio interface?

What's Hot
Hey folks

I'm looking at acquiring an audio interface for my (Windows 10) PC, primarily to use with Ableton. 

Since I own a few synths, plus play guitar and bass I really want something with at least four inputs and ideally multiple outs too. 

The Behringer UMC404HD looks like a very good shout but is there anything I should be looking at as an alternative that isn't significantly more expensive? Any comments on the Behringer one specifically? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• People either love or hate Behringer. I have a couple of their DIs and like them.

For an interface I'd suggest Focusrite though.
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    Or Audient.
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8481
    Audient is great in terms of sound quality, the low latency performance isn't as good as, say, RME. So depending on what you prioritise....
  • We use and Audient id44 and it’s fantastic. Can’t speak highly enough about it. 
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2914
    NI KA6 worth a look.
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • We use and Audient id44 and it’s fantastic. Can’t speak highly enough about it. 
    ...And only a mere five times the price of what I'm currently considering. 

@blobb the KA6 is far more realistically priced - have you got one? 

• Understood, it was more a point of how good Audient equipment is. They have interfaces for less money. 

@blobb the KA6 is far more realistically priced - have you got one? 

yup.
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8534
    I’m soon to be selling an Yamaha AG03 - by far the best of the cheaper end interfaces (I’ve had a few!), loads of in / out flexibility and sounds good. Bloody brilliant thing but I’ve finally just upgraded to an Apogee Duet.

Tap me up if interested. 

blobb the KA6 is far more realistically priced - have you got one? 

I have a KA6, and it's great. Thanks to sensible design on NI's part, it's compatible with every device you could imagine (even Linux), which is nice. It's a rock-solid, no-frills interface with good latency, great preamps and very little noise.

The only thing is that you only get two preamp inputs and two line inputs - so if you want to record four mics, you're going to need to buy an external preamp (I believe ART do one you could get for about £30 second hand).
    <space for hire>
    The best thing about the KA6 is latency. NI write really good software and it shows.

• -dindude said:
    I’m soon to be selling an Yamaha AG03 - by far the best of the cheaper end interfaces (I’ve had a few!), loads of in / out flexibility and sounds good. Bloody brilliant thing but I’ve finally just upgraded to an Apogee Duet.

Tap me up if interested. 
    That's the one that's like a mixer, right? I've already got a mixer and the 3 channels on the yammy probably isn't enough, but thanks 

I have a KA6, and it's great. Thanks to sensible design on NI's part, it's compatible with every device you could imagine (even Linux), which is nice. It's a rock-solid, no-frills interface with good latency, great preamps and very little noise.

The only thing is that you only get two preamp inputs and two line inputs - so if you want to record four mics, you're going to need to buy an external preamp (I believe ART do one you could get for about £30 second hand).
    -realistically I'll want to record a couple of synths straight in and my guitar/bass. Can't see myself ever wanting to record four mics at once. 

I take it its class compliant or have NI actually written Linux drivers? 
  • lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
    Anyone have any experience with audiofuse from Arturia?

-realistically I'll want to record a couple of synths straight in and my guitar/bass. Can't see myself ever wanting to record four mics at once. 

I take it its class compliant or have NI actually written Linux drivers? 
    Yep, it's properly class-compliant. In Linux, it's literally just plug-and-play, and works with Android too apparently (although I haven't had reason to test that out).
    <space for hire>
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6378
    Focusrite Scarlett FTW (ports and features to suit budget)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • lukedlb said:
    Anyone have any experience with audiofuse from Arturia?
    I personally wouldn't go that route based on reports about the drivers being very unspectacular. 

• If drivers are the priority down the lower end of the market then there are three I'd look at: 

NI KA6
    Steinberg UR22 (cheapest of the three)
    Zoom UAC-2

The UAC-2 is regarded as having the best drivers at this price point. Going on the report from an acquaintance, KA6 and UAC-2 are pretty level in terms of sound and he plumped for the UAC-2 on latency.

• LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    edited October 2018
    I'm not actively selling, but am thinking about a change, and have a Focusrite Scarlet 8i6 at the moment if that's of any interest to you? It has...err...8 in and 6 out...surprisingly 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you