Marshall combo and pedals

HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15959
edited October 2018 in Amps
Anyone run a 4010 or similar crunchy Marshall with boosts/or ODs and delays out front ?

I know the rule is if an amp is generating it's own overdrive the delays and verbs will not work so well without placement in an FX loop rather than up front. Is there a workaround to this at all.....is it really that bad with the delays and reverb FOA when the amp is cooking like this? What's your fix?

Bottom line......the Marshall is cooking enough to give you a solo tone ( with FOA boost perhaps) will the reverb and delays sound OK up front?
tae be or not tae be
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Yes. I put my delays before drives in my pedal chain deliberately.
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    Try it - you might like it. Van Halen famously put his delay into a cooking Marshall. 
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15959
    I was a wonderin' how guys that swear by these amps for their lead tones managed with their reverb and delays when there are no FX loops
    tae be or not tae be
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72255
    rico said:
    Try it - you might like it. Van Halen famously put his delay into a cooking Marshall. 
    I think Van Halen put the phaser and flanger in front of the amp, not delay. He ran the amp into a load box and re-amped it through some of the effects into a power amp and the cabinets, and I think that's where the delay was. I'm not an expert though so I could be wrong.

hootsmon said:
    I was a wonderin' how guys that swear by these amps for their lead tones managed with their reverb and delays when there are no FX loops
    Mostly by not using them in the live sound, and adding them at the desk.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• I use a 4010 for my man gigging amp (paired up with a 5053 bass amp).  For the last couple of years I’ve just been using it with my pedal board plugged into the low input. The base clean tone does sound a bit flat like this but it worked really well for me because I was happy getting my gain from pedals.

Recently though I’ve been trying to run it into the high input with the gain set reasonably low (gain and master volume on about 3). I found this gives the base tone a bit more hair and depth than running though the low input. It makes it harder to set up gain pedals but with a bit of tweaking you get good tones.

I must admit that I’m not a big fan of running verbs and delay in front of the amp when the gain is dimed. I can see that it does have it’s place, but not for the music I’m currently doing.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2894
    edited October 2018
    There was a Pete Thorn video where he uses the Echoplex into the front of the amp for a Van Halen track, it sounds very different to having it in the loop and better in this case. I've always just ran delay into the front so I don't have to faff about with running cables to the FX loop. It's a bit annoying as the feedback and level seem to change when you adjust your guitar volume.