The Beatles Abbey Road Medley

What's Hot
RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13933
I love The Beatles. I drift in and out over the years and dip in and out of different albums but currently back in the mood for the Abbey Road album. I love the medley. George Martin did a great job of rallying the matured Beatles into singing their trademark harmonies, which are stunning, and pulling together a proper Beatles album. The guitars are great too.

I wonder if we'll get a Giles Martin remix in a year or 2 after The White Album remix is delivered on 9th Nov?

"1...2...3...4...5...6...7 all good children go to heaven..."

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7747

"I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I love The Beatles. I drift in and out over the years and dip in and out of different albums but currently back in the mood for the Abbey Road album. I love the medley. George Martin did a great job of rallying the matured Beatles into singing their trademark harmonies, which are stunning, and pulling together a proper Beatles album. The guitars are great too.

I wonder if we'll get a Giles Martin remix in a year or 2 after The White Album remix is delivered on 9th Nov?

"1...2...3...4...5...6...7 all good children go to heaven..."

I also dip in and out of the Beatles, have to say this is one of my favourite Beatle albums. Come Together, Here comes the sun, Something, Carry That wright, all great songs. 
    “Ken sent me.”
  • by sheer coincidence i am listening to it right now. I love the Abbey Road medley but there is something really melancholy about it i find. It so sounds like the end of the road. It's perfection. Where could they possibly have gone from here?

Agree that the guitar work and arrangements are fantastic.
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2284
    Abbey Road has always been my favourite too, and that medley is just jaw-droppingly good.
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    I second these emotions. Fantastic album. That closing sequence does sound as if they knew that was it... “and in the end....” 
  • I always liked Abbey Road and was somewhat disappointed to learn that it was the album they least enjoyed making. Even if they didn't enjoy doing it, it still gave me a lot of pleasure
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24797
    edited October 2018
    I went to the John & Yoko ‘Double Fantasy’ exhibition at the Liverpool Museum for the second time last week and have been listening to them more since than I have in years. Even by Rubber Soul you can tell they’re moving away from being a ‘beat’ group into a whole different level of song writing.

Abbey Road may well be their most ‘complete’ album - but listening back to the rest over the last few days, has convinced me of their genius all over again.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72211
    It’s always been my favourite Beatles album too, although the 50th Anniversary version of Sgt Pepper is so good it’s made me possibly re-think that... I would love to hear what Giles Martin could do with Abbey Road.

I thought Let It Be was the album they least enjoyed making though - so bad they almost broke up then, but McCartney suggested they come back for one final time and record more like they had in the old days.

The medley is fantastic - even though Lennon thought it was just stringing together a few left-over scraps of songs, it works as a whole and seems like a fitting way to end. McCartney’s vocal on Golden Slumbers might actually be my favourite moment in their entire catalogue.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26878
    Not just the Medley, but side 2 of Abbey Road is basically faultless in its entirety.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Not just the Medley, but side 2 of Abbey Road is basically faultless in its entirety.
    Unlike side 1 which contains Maxwell's Silver Hammer :).

Apart from that the whole album is.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• The problem I have with Abbey Road is that the low points on it are so bad that they absolutely distract from the good bits. To get to side two, you have to survive Maxwell and Octopus and 'ain't nobody got time for that.

I like Octopus’s Garden. It’s like Yellow Submarine but better :).

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12324
    ICBM said:
    I like Octopus’s Garden. It’s like Yellow Submarine but better :).
    Some of my favourite guitar on Beatles songs. Abbey road my favourite album I think. Polythene Pam and day in the life probably my favourite Beatles songs. 
  • Sgt Pepper is my favourite album but yes, I’ve been a massive fan for almost 40 yrs. All their stuff is regularly played in my house. My 9 year old prefers Beatles, the 7 year old Queen. Not bad either way  :3
  • Big fan and Abbey Road my favourite album and the medley the best bit on it.  In fact if someone asked me to nominate a shortish piece of music that represented the pinnacle of rock/pop or justified its status as a serious art form, that's probably what I'd pick.  My only regret is I've heard it so often over such a long period of time that I have to be in a very particular mood to respond to it now.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13933
    McCartney in his beardy 1969 phase was at his absolute peak.