I don't understand your hobby

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• merlinmerlin Frets: 6679
    I don't have to explain my love of music and guitar gear to my wife. She gets it completely. And she plays piano and sings herself.
    Your wife is great. Hang onto her and never let her go. (Unless she REALLY, REALLY wants to and then fight like fuck to keep her.)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • timbuk02timbuk02 Frets: 271
    edited October 2018
    Really enjoying these responses! Definite food for thought and inspiration. Thanks for taking the time and putting your words out there...

My wife is supportive, see's it as my hobby and a creative pusuit and recognises that it makes me happy so therefore should spend time doing it. Even encourages me to play more in front of our 18month old. But that's making me realise I should probably pay for lessons rather than more pedals, as thats what's really going to make me sound better!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • joetelejoetele Frets: 951
    timbuk02 said:
    Really enjoying these responses! Definite food for thought and inspiration. Thanks for taking the time and putting your words out there...

My wife is supportive, see's it as my hobby and a creative pusuit and recognises that it makes me happy so therefore should spend time doing it. Even encourages me to play more in front of our 18month old. But that's making me realise I should probably pay for lessons rather than more pedals, as thats what's really going to make me sound better!

Huh. I was convinced buying more pedals was the way to sound better. Apparently it's when you buy your 127th pedal, they unlock the true skill awareness. 
    MUSIC: Pale Blurs
  • sw67sw67 Frets: 231
    edited October 2018
    My wife is cool with my hobby and comes to all the gigs. We pool our wages so its one account for all income / expenditure and we do discuss most major purchases. As i have added one amp , 4 guitars and a helix to my set up in the last few years i will probably not get anything for a while. Not because i have to but i cant think of a thing to buy.
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16092
    If you had a bigger amp it'd have more low end and sound less screechy.  I think that's what they're trying to tell you anyway.
    Either that or what you are playing is a lead guitar, therefore if you also bought a rhythm guitar you'd be sorted
    I've been trying to find a pedal that does both...........been through hundreds of them !
  • timbuk02timbuk02 Frets: 271
    edited October 2018
    Dominic said:
    My wife and children including the adult ones all think the electric guitar is a nasty screechy instrument and don't like the sound of it and keep telling me my acoustic guitar is so much nicer.

Sounds like you need a Boss AC3 - just like in the comic!
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16092
    Yes ,it's called "comedic irony "
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2244
    Mrs. L is pretty supportive, she used to play guitar herself (still likes to, but doctorate has got in the way for past few years.. she does love Les Pauls, but i still like her) - what she has an issue is is all the gear... its the old stock vs space argument. 

Recently had a discussion about where everything will go in the new house and she was in a bit of despair trying to think where all of my stuff would go.. turns out she thought that i have about triple the amount of things than i actually do. She wasn't aware/or had forgotten that i had gotten rid of three big amps and a few guitars in the past few years.. and that i had a small bit of gear in most rooms of the current house (interface in dining room where i record, 2 guitars + amp in front room where i play, couple of cased things in bedroom etc). 
    She seemed a lot happier once i explained my actual lack of gear.

On the other hand think i may have missed a trick here...
  • deanodeano Frets: 622

Warning! Massive sexist stereotyping ahead.

If a WAG doesn’t see the need for more than one guitar (and they don’t. All guitars sound the same to them) gently point out that you don’t see the need for her having more than one pair of shoes.

• joetelejoetele Frets: 951
    deano said:

Warning! Massive sexist stereotyping ahead.

If a WAG doesn’t see the need for more than one guitar (and they don’t. All guitars sound the same to them) gently point out that you don’t see the need for her having more than one pair of shoes.

"But shoes don't take up as much space as guitars". 
    MUSIC: Pale Blurs
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2236
    Mrs S doesnt understand why I need so many guitars but I dont understand why she needs a new VW every three years. Our finances are separate, bills are covered the rest is disposable. We dont ask each other for permission to buy stuff. I dont hide the value of items. 

She does get a little peeved about the space taken by my gear. She could have a point with the overspill on the wardrobe and behind the chest of drawers when the music room is full. 
  • mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1058
    My misses stayed working while I took a 2 year break to study guitar! She's a legend